Garmin GPS Kits

drron

Thanks Piotrek, that looks interesting. Only the amount of vibration and the wiring routeing to consider. 
Still at 30Euro it might be worth a punt.

Cheers
Steve
Ya... vibration was an issue on earlier revisions of my mount, and at one point I was pretty close to handing the bracket to a local fabricator to have it aped using higher gauge steel... but the latest revision seems to work okay. There is a note on the website with a suggested device max. weight of 200g. I use an automotive type Garmin, so it's fairly lightweight.
Ah that's a shame, according to the email from the manufacturers it should only be used for units weighing less than 200g, my TomTom unit is 280g (without mount) so unfortunately it's not suitable. 
Pity, as it seemed like a good solution, lets hope another manufactirer come up with something similar but a little more robust.

Cheers
Steve 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi GVV550

I connected the Zumo 395 power lead to the 12v accessory plug behind the windscreen using an MT090 connector. The Zumo lead includes an inline 12v/5v converter box. I fixed the converter box and excess cable out of sight behind the screen.

good luck!

Vic

Thanks Vic, I've tried different connection points on the bike and it's currently connected directly to the battery and I still get frequent power losses. I expect I have a defective harness so I'm going after Garmin for a replacement.

2019 Tracer GT,  Ontario, Canada

Hi

Thats possible but some have had issues with the connector at the end of the harness that fits into the gps mount and the two contact points that connect to the back of the Zumo. It’s a flimsy connection and if the harness isn’t seated properly in the mount or the contacts aren’t clean you may get intermittent power losses as you describe.   Worth checking

Vic

David, 
My power supply problem to the GPS is as you describe as a problem for the cigarette lighter connection, spotty:  it's on, then off, then on.  I like the bike's power connection because it switches on and off with the ignition, which I like.  I'll have to keep looking.
The on-off-on-off thing people experience when plugging accessories into a 12v "cigarette" port is caused by the connection between 'male' and 'female' pieces being temporarily interrupted. The "problem" is that there's no standard for 12v "cigarette" power ports...in other words, the diameter is nothing more than "approximation". This "problem" exists on both the 'male' and 'female' ends. 
In a car/truck, this doesn't usually pose any significant problems, as there's very little vibration (if any at all). On motorcycles, however, this is an entirely different matter, as all but a few bikes have considerable vibration. For this reason, I'd HIGHLY suggest hard-wiring ALL accessories. At the same time, do NOT hard-wire everything directly to the battery...instead, either use 2 'ground termination blocks' (one for the "positive", and one for the "ground", or use a PDM (power distribution module...essentially, a circuit breaker for motorcycles) & ground termination block.

• 1 month later...
On 10/21/2018 at 3:20 PM, builderbob said:
I am having a problem with the electrical supply and I have not figured out yet what's wrong. I soldered a USB connection to the GPS power cable and I am using a standard 12v to USB cigarette lighter power plug, which fits very loosely in the socket. 

If I'm not mistaken, the USB adapter you're using won't supply enough voltage to power your Garmin.  I believe the adapter knocks the voltage down to 5v or so.  Your Garmin needs 12v.  Mine is connected to a switched fuseblock that I installed under the seat.

Which switched fuse block did you go with?  Im considering the Eastern Beaver.  Others ar ejust too much cash.

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, agunslinger said:

Which switched fuse block did you go with?  Im considering the Eastern Beaver.  Others ar ejust too much cash.

You might just try running the power directly to the battery first to make sure everything is working, and move the wires to a fuse block down the road. I'm using the FuzeBlock in my 2015 FJ-09 and it works great.

I've got my Garmin 665 right in the middle of the bars below the dash on a ram mount.  Works perfectly.  Garmin takes me on some pretty adventurous routes when I get lost and don't know the area.  It's all part of the game.  Every trip is an adventure and is very rewarding.

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, agunslinger said:

I used a Centech AP-2.  A little less expensive than some of the alternatives, but you'll have to also install an external relay if you want it switched with the ignition.  That's how mine is set up.

Archived