Cam chain tensioner or something worse?

nicksta43

5 hours ago, skipperT said:

Bummer.  So it's still not 100%

Any codes?

Did you check the throttle bodies to be sure that all the caps are in place which cover the sync ports?

Are all the vacuum hoses running to the AIS pump, Air intake pressure sensors (2), etc all connected? If you stick your head close to the airbox with the engine idling, do you hear any hissing or abnormal sounds?

-Skip

As far as I can tell there are no vacuum leaks, all electrical connections are connected and I have no codes. I'm probably going to go over everything one more time tomorrow. I feel like I'm going to wear the body work fasteners out before I ever get it running right again. I've had it apart and back together so many time. 

At this point I've talked to my better half and we've decided it's best to take it somewhere. I've got some feelers out for trusted independent shops with a separate Yamaha dealer as a backup. It's not going back to where I bought it as they've lost all my trust. 

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope you get a resolution soon. Its unfortunate you've been without the bike for so long.  Very interested to hear what the final culprit will be.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2019 at 10:37 PM, nicksta43 said:

As far as I can tell there are no vacuum leaks, all electrical connections are connected and I have no codes. I'm probably going to go over everything one more time tomorrow. I feel like I'm going to wear the body work fasteners out before I ever get it running right again. I've had it apart and back together so many time. 

At this point I've talked to my better half and we've decided it's best to take it somewhere. I've got some feelers out for trusted independent shops with a separate Yamaha dealer as a backup. It's not going back to where I bought it as they've lost all my trust. 

Sorry it's been such a pain. 

My only other thought is a weak fuel pump, but you can't test fuel pressure without the right Diag. equipment.

Good luck and hope you have a positive service experience.

-Skip

Took it back apart to address the valve lash. Figured I can address that and the throttle body sync before I turn it over to the a mechanic. 

I actually recorded the numbers this time so I'm not just trying to go off of memory

Cyl #1

Intake   .15mm,  .14mm

Exhaust  .21mm,  .26mm

Cyl #2

Intake .16mm,  .17mm

Exhaust .21mm, .24mm

Cyl #3 

Intake  .14mm,  .14mm

Exhaust  .22mm, .24mm

Still have to pull the cams out to see what shims are in there. 

While the intakes are all in spec I wonder if it's worth trying to get everything to the top of the spec range or just leave them alone? 

Would the exhaust being this tight cause it to run pig rich? 

Either way I'll try to get the cams and shims out tomorrow to see what I have.

I have kinda followed this thread and had a thought... As much as the top end of the engine has been off, I wonder if the AIS system is kinda wonky giving you all this trouble... Now I'm curious how to test the AIS system for correct operation...  Ignore this post if you have removed the AIS system...

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

2 hours ago, norcal616 said:

I have kinda followed this thread and had a thought... As much as the top end of the engine has been off, I wonder if the AIS system is kinda wonky giving you all this trouble... Now I'm curious how to test the AIS system for correct operation...  Ignore this post if you have removed the AIS system...

The easiest way to test the AIS is to block the hoses where they enter the cyl head cover, or block the vacuum line leading to the operating solenoid from the throttle body port. 

It might be possible to install the reeds themselves backwards in the cyl head cover, but IIRC they are "keyed" and can only go in one way. (I may also be mixing up manufacturer design, if so apologies)

I'm still wondering about a bad or restricted fuel pump.

-Skip

1 hour ago, skipperT said:

I'm still wondering about a bad or restricted fuel pump.

-Skip

I rode the bike into work a couple weeks ago, that trip plus the test rides I've done since this all started put a little over fifty miles on the bike since this first started. Which was on a full tank, I had filled it up the night previous to this all starting. I have used well over half a tank in those fifty miles.  That plus the smell of the exhaust makes me believe it's super rich. I don't think it's running lean. 

I've never removed the reed valves from the valve cover. I guess it's possible that it could be wrong from the factory but I feel it would have presented itself before 10k miles. 

At this point the only thing I know for sure is wrong is the exhaust valves are tighter than spec.

Very interesting findings today. It appears the intake cam slipped a tooth during the install of the cam chain tensioner. 

When I originally checked the cam timing after getting it back from the shop it was spot on. However I did not double check it after I installed the tensioner. 

I lined everything back up spun the engine by hand a couple times and rechecked it. I then double checked the valves to make sure my numbers were still good for ordering new shims. 

Now I'm extremely hopeful that when it goes back together this time it's going to be right. 

40 minutes ago, nicksta43 said:

Very interesting findings today. It appears the intake cam slipped a tooth during the install of the cam chain tensioner. 

When I originally checked the cam timing after getting it back from the shop it was spot on. However I did not double check it after I installed the tensioner. 

I lined everything back up spun the engine by hand a couple times and rechecked it. I then double checked the valves to make sure my numbers were still good for ordering new shims. 

Now I'm extremely hopeful that when it goes back together this time it's going to be right. 

Fingers crossed.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

5 hours ago, nicksta43 said:

That is why I never remove/replace a tensioner without checking cam timing no matter how many people tell me it can be done. I have seen too many mistimed motors from people doing so. And I am extremely paranoid! 😆

I can almost guarantee that will be your issue.

1554677598_img_20190407_134746631_mmthumYou can see the intake can is slightly retarded verses the exhaust cam in this picture. 

I'm honestly surprised it ran as well as it did. 

I'm just hoping I didn't hurt the engine running it like that. But it never made any bad sounds.

NIck, I'm happy you finally have some hope, and I really hope this is the solution. Running one tooth off shouldn't damage the motor.

However, I (accidentally) ran my Daytona 675 1 tooth off for a while and the motor still ran okay. There was a small range in the powerband where the motorcycle would surge. But otherwise, everything was fine. 

Again, I wish you luck and I really hope this is your issue, but (unfortunately) it might not be. Good luck!

'15 FJ09

12 hours ago, koth442 said:

NIck, I'm happy you finally have some hope, and I really hope this is the solution. Running one tooth off shouldn't damage the motor.

However, I (accidentally) ran my Daytona 675 1 tooth off for a while and the motor still ran okay. There was a small range in the powerband where the motorcycle would surge. But otherwise, everything was fine. 

Again, I wish you luck and I really hope this is your issue, but (unfortunately) it might not be. Good luck!

Man I hope it is. 

Aside from the tight valves this is the only other fault I've found. And I think it pretty perfectly fits with the issues I've had since I got it back running. 

Archived