Alaska in 2019 anyone?

Just seeing if anyone has active plans for 2019. I'm thinking about an east coast "as far north as possible" ride from Florida. I've never been to Labrador either.

• Supporting Member
So far, I have a 6-day ride planned for late Spring through Northern California, - Mt Shasta, Lake Tahoe and Yosemite areas. In early Fall I am planning a 9-Day ride through California, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming and Idaho.
The rest will be shorter 2-3 day rides throughout the year.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I was originally planning to ride to Prudoe Bay in June 2019, but after learning here that the Dempster Highway is now open all the way to the Arctic Ocean I'll be hanging a right turn before I get to Alaska. If my vacation time actually gets approved, that is.

I'm looking for a scratched-up left side FJR saddlebag lid to expand luggage capacity if anyone has one laying around. I already have a right side lid. 

• Supporting Member
I was originally planning to ride to Prudoe Bay in June 2019, but after learning here that the Dempster Highway is now open all the way to the Arctic Ocean I'll be hanging a right turn before I get to Alaska. If my vacation time actually gets approved, that is. 

That should be a truly epic trip, for most it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity. 

I hope your vacation time gets approved.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 1 month later...
I'm looking for a scratched-up left side FJR saddlebag lid to expand luggage capacity if anyone has one laying around. I already have a right side lid. 

Fj-09 to the Artic Circle? What tires are you going to run on the Demster?

• Premium Member
If I'm going that far, I'm going to install TKC80s in Whitehorse. Why not give myself the best odds of making it?
If it were me, I would put the TKC80s on in Fairbanks. There is a dude that runs an motorcycle tire shop in Fairbanks that you can order the tires through, and he mounts them when you get there. Sorry, I don't have the particulars on him, but he shouldn't be hard to find on the interweb. If you are set on swapping in Whitehorse, I would suggest the Heidenau K60 Scout.  

• Supporting Member
Here ya go.....

Dans' Adventure Cycle
362 Snowy Owl Lane
Fairbanks, Ak. 99712
(907)457-4259
dans40xc@hotmail.com

My riding bud and I used him for new front tires and LOF this past June on our epic 11,000 mile round trip from Michigan on our FJR 1300's.  Dan knows his stuff and was very fair on the labor. Highly recommended! :D

If I'm going that far, I'm going to install TKC80s in Whitehorse. Why not give myself the best odds of making it?
If it were me, I would put the TKC80s on in Fairbanks. There is a dude that runs an motorcycle tire shop in Fairbanks that you can order the tires through, and he mounts them when you get there. Sorry, I don't have the particulars on him, but he shouldn't be hard to find on the interweb. If you are set on swapping in Whitehorse, I would suggest the Heidenau K60 Scout.
Fairbanks if you're heading to the Dalton, Whitehorse if you're heading to the Dempster. I looked at the Heidenau, but they don't seem to make them in the correct size for the FJ-09. Besides, there isn't much asphalt between Whitehorse and the start of the Dempster. 

So far, I have a 6-day ride planned for late Spring through Northern California, - Mt Shasta, Lake Tahoe and Yosemite areas. In early Fall I am planning a 9-Day ride through California, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming and Idaho. The rest will be shorter 2-3 day rides throughout the year.
I'd be interested in that Fall ride!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Found my second FJR bag lid, so now working on filling the scratches and painting them. After contemplating doing a nice, high-labor paint job I decided that a spray can bedliner will probably give a finish similar enough to the OEM city lids with very little effort. I guess I'll see how that works out. 

20181211_191958.jpg

Doesn't need to be high-labour - and IMHO you'd be disappointed using the spray-can bedliner, but I guess that depends on how fussy you are!   On my last Tracer's OE pannier lids I used a household paint spray-can, over a compatible undercoat/ primer (about AUD$8 per can), then finished-off with clear topcoat.   Good enough for me, and I'm ultra-fussy - and I'll be doing the same when my new bike arrives.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• 2 weeks later...

Archived