Quick shifter or Clutchless Shift??

QuickShift Kit or Old School Throttle QS  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer

• Quick Shifter Clutchless Kit
    • Throttle Controlled Clutchless Shifting

• Premium Member

Have been wondering what folks prefer between  a quick shifter vs clutchless shift.  I have never ridden a bike with a QS, but certainly have done my share of clutchless shifting. Just debating on if the $400 is worth it. Not sure I’d gain much. However I only clutchless shift when I’m slamming on the throttle. I’m thinking QS would allow for more shifting at reasonable speeds?

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

11 hours ago, coachluciano said:

Have been wondering what folks prefer between  a quick shifter vs clutchless shift.  I have never ridden a bike with a QS, but certainly have done my share of clutchless shifting. Just debating on if the $400 is worth it. Not sure I’d gain much. However I only clutchless shift when I’m slamming on the throttle. I’m thinking QS would allow for more shifting at reasonable speeds?

GT owner here. You can't compare the 2.

Clutchless shifting is used in normal riding conditions when you are just being lazy and don't want to use the clutch. However, when you're in a very spirited ride and you're exiting a corner at high revs,  and opening up to full throttle, the ability to change gear in a split second without losing revs or letting go of the accelerator is where the beauty of the quickshifter lies. 

To be honest at 400 dollars you might to want to check if you can find something that also offers auto blip down since the yamaha quickshifter is up only

I'm loving my QS- works on both up/down shifts... I'm using the "Race Kit" from Woolich Racing... You can still use the clutch as normal, you can even just use a little pressure from the clutch lever when using the QS to get even smoother shifts... I can upshift at any rpm as long as I'm using the throttle but it's only lets me use the down blipper above 4k rpms... It's also my backup "clutch cable" if my -1 cable ever finally snaps... I got the -2 cable hanging up on the wall collecting dust...

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

The quick shifter is more useful, it outperforms throttle shifting because the QS is, well... quicker. I also use the the QS when riding around in B mode with my bride on back, just hold the throttle steady and bump the shifter, the bike shifts smoother than I can with the clutch.

2019 Tracer GT,  Ontario, Canada

I run a bazzaz quickshifter on a GSXR750 (upshift only) and a translogic with autoblip on an R1 - both are pure track bikes. I tried to get a translogic on the FJ, but it was not available last summer (my FJ now got 96k miles, thus I may skip the upgrade).

While I am not a fan of all the new electronics on competition race bikes as it really disadvantages non-factory teams which can't pay for electronic engineers, the quickshifter is a simple but great upgrade and really fun, especially the systems with autoblip for downshift. The translogic system is on many race bikes, including in WSBK, and works really nice...

RLB_2447s.jpg

• Premium Member
On 1/11/2019 at 8:42 AM, piotrek said:

All this talk about clutchless this and quickshift that... the slow and inevitable demise of the manual gearbox... sad.

The clutchless shifting being discussed here is a technique for shifting a manual transmission, not a technological replacement.

I've done clutchless upshifting on almost every motorcycle I've ever owned.

On 1/11/2019 at 12:47 PM, jojosz said:

I run a bazzaz quickshifter on a GSXR750 (upshift only) and a translogic with autoblip on an R1 - both are pure track bikes. I tried to get a translogic on the FJ, but it was not available last summer (my FJ now got 96k miles, thus I may skip the upgrade).

While I am not a fan of all the new electronics on competition race bikes as it really disadvantages non-factory teams which can't pay for electronic engineers, the quickshifter is a simple but great upgrade and really fun, especially the systems with autoblip for downshift. The translogic system is on many race bikes, including in WSBK, and works really nice...

RLB_2447s.jpg

Woolich Race kit has a QS that works on both up/downshift... IIRC it also works on normal and GP shift patterns...

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Archived