Dashboard leak?

2 hours ago, fr8dog said:

Looks like I have some moisture inside the dash. Can't be good. Anybody experience this? Is there a gasket or seal of some type? Warranty item?

Moisture as in coming in from outside, or condensation?   I have heard of the latter...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I have GT with tft dash but guessing you have dash the same as Super Tenere? On my S10 I got condensation in dash during cold weather, if it's still under warranty take it back to dealer, I never did as I didn't trust dealer in the end!

• Supporting Member

Get it back to the dealer and start the warranty claim and show them pictures of the condensation in the dash. The problem won't fix itself.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

There are two issues here. If you get a lot of condensation inside the display then it is a warranty claim as it has leaked water inside. Mine was replaced by the previous owner, just before he sold it. It’s a pain in the behind because Yamaha won’t (or can’t) change the mileage display, so mine under-reads the lifetime mileage of the bike.

It is however quite normal to get a few streak marks on cold days. This is just residual humidity inside the instruments and as far as I can tell, the inside of the glass is coated with an anti-fog coating (glycerol I think I read somewhere) and so this appears as fine lines in some conditions. It should disappear as the bike and the instruments warm up. 

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member

I guess I'm lucky because my FJ spends all day outside in the rain every day while I'm at work, yet I haven't had any issues with water in the instrument panel. 

This was a huge problem on my old BMW K100RS. God that thing was a heap.

If your bike is out of warranty it's probably no big deal to disassemble the instrument panel and clean it. There is probably an o-ring seal around the housing that can be replaced. I had the instrument panel apart on both my BMW and my Triumph TT600.

Yes I also had a leak in the dashboard, moisture percolating down in streaks from the top down the inside of the screen. Have had the whole unit replaced under warranty. Took them three goes (and three months) to get the right unit with the TCS displayed on the unit from Japan via Holland.

• Premium Member

When the rain stops I'll head to the dealer. I think it's condensation. The streaks are horizontal. The screen is dry now. I'll leave it outside for a while before I go and try to recreate it. It's still under warranty. Seems like there would be some sort of rubber gasket in there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Dash is being replaced under warranty next week. Dealer said it shouldn't take too long to install. Should be able to wait there while they work on it. Good for Yamaha!

Archived