MPG question

• Premium Member

I get 44-45 all the time.  Usually 44.5 or 44.6.   I commute daily through a mix of highway/city.  220lb rider + gear with a laptop in the tailbag/backpack.

It doesn't seem to matter if I'm aggressive in the north Georgia mountains or puttering along.  I can play drag strip at the metered on-ramps or roll easy, it never seems to matter.   The only time I see a dip is if I spend a lot of time at "I should probably slow down but it's SO clear" on the interstate.

• Premium Member

My average has been 48 MPG for the last 24000 miles. That is according to the FJ meter. I have not kept track of gallons used to verify it myself. My MPG varies a lot with speed and a little with temperature. I get 44 if I my speed is 75 mph, and I get 54 MPG if my speed is 55 while stuck behind SUVs on a rural road.

I also get a few less MPG during the colder months. I think that is because the coolant temperature stays low enough that the ECU commands a rich fuel mixture.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• Premium Member

I get around 52 mpg, the computer shows around 57 mpg, it's 10% optimistic.  I get the low fuel light around 200 miles per tank.  I ride solo, with panniers, no top box, and probably average 60 mph in the Colorado canyon roads and county roads.  Given your conditions, you will get less mpg and fewer miles per tank, or you tolerance to running to empty is greater than mine.

2019 Tracer 900 GT

Niwot CO
USA

Archived