MPG question

Sorry if this have been asked b4 but i just want you guys to please give me a general idea as of more or less what is the mpg for a full tank of gas.... i bought this bike(2017) mainly to ride 2up with a givi E55 top case. Maybe a few overnighters with also oem hard bags. How many(mileage wise)  i should be looking at? Also the bike is bone stock 4 now. Depending on how it rides i will keep it like that..if not Ecu tuning and exhaust will be in the near future.

• Supporting Member

You are bound to get answers that vary greatly, mpg will be determined on your right wrist and your cargo (passenger and bags).

I personally like to ride higher in the rpm range and have added +2 teeth on the rear sprocket (almost equivalent to -1 tooth on the front sprocket).  My average over 30k miles has been 43-47mpg. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I have the 2017 model with a top box. I got about 52 mpg during the break in period but now I'm averaging 45mpg. I suspect if I kept the rpms below 6000 like during the break in I would be up around 50mpg again, but what's the fun in that? Twist that wrist and have some fun. 45 x4.8 gallons is 216 miles per tank.

I've seen as high as 60mpg (US) when going "easy" on back roads, so that could get you 250 miles on a tank, but that is probably about the limit. As others have said mileage can fluctuate quite a bit depending on load, wind, and how hard you're pushing it. 

• Premium Member

The highest I've seen is 57 mpg (US) during a leisurely tour Loaded down on the Natchez Trace. Normally I'm in the mid to low 40's.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

About 42 on a good day of average mixed riding.

At highway speeds above 70 mph less, usually around 35-38.

cb

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Premium Member

I can tell you as of today, I'm getting zero miles per gallon and that's with a full tank - it's 12 degrees F outside  :)

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

49 for freeway slogs, low 40's for fun riding (higher RPM, lower tire PSI, sporadic WFO. 

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Premium Member

Anybody who gets more than 42 is comatose .  Even in Std on non-e petrol (only available out of IL predominantly) and staying smooth on my fastest Red 15 I can't do much better with a SH46 Top Case; add SH36 panniers and kiss another couple good bye, with another ass it'd be as bad as my VTR!  So with Dave's flash I can run in A mostly, unless in really tight stuff, where I can get down to 38 without trying.  I just can't stay out of the throttle cuz I'm used to more torque.  Really, the FJ09 is tame compared to my other bikes, so I always want to give it more juice.  And the CP3 motor asks for it anyway, like a nasty GF late on a Saturday night.

You can't use all the rated 4.8.  I start looking hard for a station when I think 170 will be coming up and going by.  I've sweated my balls off pushing hard to 188-ish, 190+ would mean maybe using boot leather, which I avoid at all costs!

As I was born to ride, work to ride, and ride to eat, then repeat...

As they say in the ads, your mileage may vary.

Archived