OEM Grip heaters not that hot, any known issue / troubleshooting suggestions?

Hello all,

I have a 2015 FJ09 which I recently purchased used with 2400 miles. Since it did not come with heated grips, I purchased the Yamaha OEM Grip Heater parts and installed. Everything works, however the grips just don't get that hot. I can bare handed-ly hold them no problem- I adjusted the settings to 10, 8, 5 (Hi, Med, Low) in the menu interface. 

It's confusing to me since everything I've read here says they are very good (and in some cases too hot to hold). I was not moving on the bike for the test, however I did keep the engine revs around 4-5K while in neutral to get some juice going. Not sure if this makes a difference. The grips get warm in max setting, but I'm not even sure I would feel any heat if I was wearing gloves. I had the bike on for about 5 min after fully warmed up, giving it some gas.

I am fairly certain everything is installed correctly, as I am getting heat, just not very hot.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I’m pretty sure they don’t switch on properly, or even on at all, unless the bike is in gear. Presumably this is to preserve the state of the battery. Try going for a ride and I think you’ll soon be adjusting those settings down a bit.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member

Thought the same thing after the install and bike idling in the garage. Take it for a spin with the grips in that high setting. I've used high once for a few minutes. Too hot.  Installed grip puppies over the weekend and had to turn up the settings a notch. Heated grips work great with the grip puppies.

wow...not hot enough?  my grips are so hot on 10 its nearly impossible to hold on to them with motorcycle gloves on ...i suspect like others say once you ride it, it will be much warmer.  mine are set at 1, 3 ,10

as a side note...my heated brake lever on my snowmobile will burn skin raw within 2 seconds ...i freak out a lot of people when they grab it...lol

Edited by stumpy
addition

• Premium Member

Mine are also super hot, although I've never tried to see how hot they get at idle. I'm always riding when I turn them on. I also find the heat to be very harsh, I don't use mine much anymore, I just use the heated gloves. It is a much more comfortable heat.

• 2 months later...

The OEM Yamaha headed grips are the hottest of any motorcycle I have owned, including BMW.  The grips are also integrated into the main controls in a cool way.  If yours are not getting  H O T   then something is wrong. 

On 4/28/2019 at 5:20 PM, dundee said:

The OEM Yamaha headed grips are the hottest of any motorcycle I have owned, including BMW.  The grips are also integrated into the main controls in a cool way.  If yours are not getting  H O T   then something is wrong. 

This has been my experience as well. I have used them on setting above 8.

• Premium Member

My right grip is very hot on Level 2.  The left barely warms.

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

2 hours ago, duhg said:

My right grip is very hot on Level 2.  The left barely warms.

My heater groups on my gt do the same and it took me a while to figure it out. The right gets warm because it is your accelator hand so you always have a good grip on it. You usually keep a loose grip on the clutch hand and use that hand to do anything so it is constantly being removed from the bar causing the grip to cool down. Try gripping the left for a while like you do with the right and it should get as warm.

Edited by bugie

• 3 weeks later...

@budgie, probably the main reason the right one stays warmer is that it is mounted to the plastic tube of the throttle and therefore insulated from the metal bar.  The left mounts to the bar direct and the bar acts as a heat sync pulling the heat out of the grip.