Would you do this Corbin Seat Swap?

So I've only had my 2015 for about 10 days and though the weather hasn't been cooperating I have had a chance to ride it around town for 30-40 mile rt (~200 miles total). From this short period I can tell I'm going have a hard time with the seat for longer weekend rides. For reference I'm 6'2" 220lb (w/o gear) and this seat feels very much like my KTM seat (i.e. soft 2x4 lumber).

There's a local bike shop that has an FJ09 for sale (not on consignment) that has a Corbin seat so today I decided to drive down at lunch to just try out the seat so I could feel the difference. I only sat on it for 5 min continuous and could tell a big difference. Was it like sitting on a cloud? No but I could definitely feel an immediate difference over stock seat. So, not being able to spend the day riding on the seat its hard to tell how much I'd like it. But with that said...

Just for giggles, I asked the salesman if the shop owner would be willing to sell me the seat if I brought in my stock seats (in very good shape)? Fully expecting him to laugh me out of the shop the guy made a call to the owner who is willing to sell me the Corbin for $100 plus my two seats. Below are pics of the seat which is in generally good condition but the red piping is killing me. What would you do? Thoughts?

1558670154_Corbinseat.thumb.jpg.690250c44fdc1c7a398bf8575708e045.jpg

1611545914_Corbinseat2.thumb.jpg.c88043f40ef3ebf190d33594eb394e33.jpg

It's a no-brainer, surely.   Even if the Corbin isn't quite as perfect as you'd like, you would definitely recover the $100 on re-sale of the bike on the basis of the Corbin alone.   Go for it!   The fact that the red piping isn't to your taste will evaporate after you've glanced at it and winced half-a-dozen times (no more) and it will then become invisible, but your ass will more than make up for it for a much longer time.

My 2015 has a seat with red piping, and I can tell you that IMHO it looks really good, complements the Lava Red paint work, and in turn is complemented by the red pinstripe along the channel below the tank, and - although it's not something I seek - does attract favourable comments. 

So please let us know your impressions of the Corbin after a few decent outings - 200 mi isn't nearly enough by all accounts.

P1050072.JPG

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

22 minutes ago, dingophil said:

$100 is a steal if 1) you like how it feels, and 2) the seat is in good condition. 

1) Definitely liked it for the short period I sat on it. I then when directly home and sat on my stock seat which amplified the difference. 2) short of some typical leather 'wrinkles' the seat looked like it had been treated with leather conditioner and in great shape.

12 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

It's a no-brainer, surely.   Even if the Corbin isn't quite as perfect as you'd like, you would definitely recover the $100 on re-sale of the bike on the basis of the Corbin alone.   Go for it!   The fact that the red piping isn't to your taste will evaporate after you've glanced at it and winced half-a-dozen times (no more) and it will then become invisible, but your ass will more than make up for it for a much longer time. 

And please let us know your impressions of the Corbin after a few decent outings - 200 mi isn't nearly enough by all accounts.

I'm more concerned with how much it will cost me to buy some stock seats (in excellent condition) in the event I didn't like the Corbin in the long haul. Im not too worried about the red piping and you're right, it would probably fade into the background in due time.

The other thing I'd like to get an idea on is how much Corbin (or and independent shop) would charge to shape the seat to my butt and re-upholster the seat in all black. According to the bike shop, the previous owner was close to 300 lbs which probably took a toll on the foam though it still feels nice.

$100 for a Corbin is a steal, I’d snap it up asap. I sure like mine and feel it was well worth the near $500 price. Corbin uses foam that is quite firm, I doubt if the former owner would have put any significant wear on it if the cover material looks ok. The firm nature of the foam, and the increased ergonomic seating area makes it day long comfortable for me. C3778BE3-D7ED-4E0B-9D35-BD8B23A1451A.thumb.jpeg.6f1dc135240361387226c501fb312ac2.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1

13 minutes ago, kingfisher said:

$100 for a Corbin is a steal, I’d snap it up asap. I sure like mine and feel it was well worth the near $500 price. Corbin uses foam that is quite firm, I doubt if the former owner would have put any significant wear on it if the cover material looks ok. The firm nature of the foam, and the increased ergonomic seating area makes it day long comfortable for me. C3778BE3-D7ED-4E0B-9D35-BD8B23A1451A.thumb.jpeg.6f1dc135240361387226c501fb312ac2.jpeg

Man I really like the skin on that seat. Do you have any close up shots and material detail? I like that it's a matte color and not shiny.

I'm definitely going to swing by in the morning and grab it. You guys are getting me fired up!

Edited by Nuckingfuts
  • Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

@Nuckingfuts - I concur with the masses on this one... that’s a deal you don’t want to pass up.   Absolute worst case if you decide you don’t like the Corbin (which is highly unlikely) is you just list it here on the forum...  it would be easy to sell/trade for more than the $100 you’ll have in it.  

Good score.... congrats in advance.  

6 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

@Nuckingfuts - I concur with the masses on this one... that’s a deal you don’t want to pass up.   Absolute worst case if you decide you don’t like the Corbin (which is highly unlikely) is you just list it here on the forum...  it would be easy to sell/trade for more than the $100 you’ll have in it.  

Good score.... congrats in advance.  

Thanks Scotty!

Remember, I'm giving up my set of stock seats which I'm still unsure how much will cost to replace. I'm going to put a wanted ad in the classifieds for a set (hopefully on the cheap) so I can do some back to back comparisons over the next month.

Anyone have a set they're no longer using and willing to part with? If so, shoot me a pm. Thanks!

Edited by Nuckingfuts

1 hour ago, Nuckingfuts said:

Man I really like the skin on that seat. Do you have any close up shots and material detail? I like that it's a matte color and not shiny.

I'm definitely going to swing by in the morning and grab it. You guys are getting me fired up!

It is the black bomber jacket leather, but was more dark gray than black. It goes pretty well with my matte gray ‘15. It has the dark silver stitching and no welt. If you go to Corbin’s site you can click on the seat for your bike and do a virtual design with the different materials for each part of the seat.

F2C74EFA-E80D-4720-8D15-7AC0AF33EB54.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1