Would you do this Corbin Seat Swap?

• Premium Member

That's a good deal. I've had my Corbin seat since 2015 and I love it. As for my stock seats, I loaned them to another FJ-09 rider and now I can't find him or my seats.........

45 minutes ago, DavidS said:

That's a good deal. I've had my Corbin seat since 2015 and I love it. As for my stock seats, I loaned them to another FJ-09 rider and now I can't find him or my seats.........

That's a bummer to hear that the guy is awol.

Ok, so I did the seat swap this morning and here's my initial impressions/observations:

Road the bike over to the bike shop which is about a 30 mile highway ride. By the time I got there my butt was starting to hurt from the stock seat. Swapped out the seats, Corbin seat clicked right in nicely, and off I went. Within the first mile I could tell that I now sit 1-1.5" higher on the bike which will take some getting use to but its actually good. I'm 6'2" so the extra leg room is welcomed, plus I have a helibars riser on order which will come in handy and help maintain the feeling of being in the bike (not on the bike).

Anyway, after about 5-10 miles my biscuits were super happy with the upgrade and by the time I got home my butt wasn't hurting one bit. Matter of fact I almost didn't go home and wanted to keep riding but the honey-do list awaits. Thanks again to all of your encouragement on the decision. Now I'm going riding again!

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

You done good if you lasted for as much as 30 mi on that shocker-stocker of an OE seat!   Enjoy the new perch.

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

1 minute ago, wordsmith said:

You done good if you lasted for as much as 30 mi on that shocker-stocker of an OE seat!   Enjoy the new perch.

Just got back from another 60 mi loop up one our local mts. I like to ride flat track/supermoto style on tight twisties and was happy that the seat allowed me to keep this style w/o issue. Great seat!!

• Thumbsup 2

35 minutes ago, Nuckingfuts said:

I like to ride flat track/supermoto style on tight twisties and was happy that the seat allowed me to keep this style w/o issue. Great seat!!

I guess I'm not sure what you mean - you slide the rear tire through turns?

18 minutes ago, kmev said:

I guess I'm not sure what you mean - you slide the rear tire through turns?

Take a tight right hand turn for example, you could:

a) sit center/neutral on the seat through the turn

b) slide your butt, torso, and head to the inside of the turn. Or what I'd consider sportbike or road track style. 

c) push the bike down under your body (butt slides over the left side of seat), outside elbow up, weight outside peg, and sometimes counterweight with inside leg out. Supermoto style.

Backing it in is a whole different level but yes would incorporate elements of style 'c'. I like this style with upright bikes like the FJ09, 525EXC, FZ1, etc. (though the fz1 likes to be ridden sport style as well).

Edited by Nuckingfuts

good choice! I love my corbin seat. If you are not too far from Hollister, CA it might be worth calling Corbin if you wanted something done about the red piping or shaving the seat. I did 4000 miles on my stock seat last year, and switched over the winter and it has been awesome and the heated seat helps with some of my colder weather riding. I would say that was well worth it and a good find IMO.

corbin trip2.jpg

11 hours ago, thepmh said:

good choice! I love my corbin seat. If you are not too far from Hollister, CA it might be worth calling Corbin if you wanted something done about the red piping or shaving the seat. I did 4000 miles on my stock seat last year, and switched over the winter and it has been awesome and the heated seat helps with some of my colder weather riding. I would say that was well worth it and a good find IMO.

corbin trip2.jpg

Good looking bike!

I've been meaning to call them, they're only 45 min from here so a visit is definitely warranted. They have a great rally there ever year (and Corbin is a cornerstone of the event) but this last year the city council pulled the plug due to funding for city services. Bummer but still want to pay them a visit.

• Thumbsup 1

bummer about the rally, but I would say it is definitely worth checking and hopefully they can give some good news about tweaking it. I drove in from central utah to their factory, twice (once to drop off, and then again to pick up). Worked out great, and I got to go on my first ride with my dad in the Fresno area up through the mountains to break the seat in

• Thumbsup 1