aftermarket Akrapovic exhaust vs OEM Yamaha Akrapovic

bugie

Had contacted my local dealer about the Akrapovic exhaust for my GT and got quoted 1600 euros for it. Spoke to the local agent for Akrapovic and got quoted 875 euros. Pretty much a no brainer so I put a deposit down on the aftermarket Akrapovic. Is this common with other dealers in other countries?

My understanding is that the only real difference is that the OEM one has a laser inscription vs a sticker. Are there any other differences?

Lastly, I opted to go for the optional catalytic converter but was wondering what you lot have done? Did you go for the Catyltic convertor or not? And are there any performance differences between the cat vs non-cat installation?

Chris

Not changed the exhaust on the GT, its only three weeks old 🙂

I did change it out on my previous bike, a MT07. Same exhaust, Akrapovic. Found a similar price differenct between the official Yamaha and none Yamaha supplied Akrapovic exhaust. I was also told if you run without the cat your not euro4 compliant. Your on dodgy ground with the warentee and I'm also unsure if you need a remap. If you run with a cat then all is covered ok.  

Edited by mickey63
  • Thumbsup 1

Yeah i thought the warranty might be an issue although i suspect that the fact it will be a non-dealer installation in itself will make warranty claims a bit problematic

This one from Graves is my favorite. Had it on my FZ-09, and it is a full 13 lbs lighter than stock, which is like gaining an extra 5 hp or more.  Plus, add in a @2wheeldynoworks tune that they have for this exaust and you gain a ton of HP.

graves_hexagonal_exhaust_system_yamaha_f
WWW.REVZILLA.COM

Graves race proven exhaust systems cut weight and increase power. The hexagonal design maximizes ground clearance and compliments your bike’s styling.

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 month later...

Warranty would not be an issue in this Country, as a manufacturer if you sell a dodgy product here you pay, end of story, and that is how it should be. We have an act in law that supersedes all manufacturers  warranties. They don't screw with us here.

3 hours ago, Tony Doms said:

They don't screw with us here.

Retailers in general definitely DO screw with us here (Malta)! Although my experience so far with the local Yamaha dealer has been positive overall 

The Yamaha Akra pipe has the cat-converter vs none on the aftermarket one... Also the Yamaha one is safe to run on OEM tune...

But I would say Graves Exhaust with Woolich tune/ race kit from 2WDW is very hard to beat... 

Edited by norcal616
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

46 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

The Yamaha Akra pipe has the cat-converter vs none on the aftermarket one... Also the Yamaha one is safe to run on OEM tune...

But I would say Graves Exhaust with Woolich tune/ race kit from 2WDW is very hard to beat... 

The aftermarket one has the cat-convertor (P-KAT-057) purchased as a separate accessory (as does the yamaha one). The only difference i can see is the aftermarket one has an Akrapovic logo sticker whilst the OEM one has it stamped. Both don't require retuning. The above only applies to the S-Y9R8-HEGEHT. The aftermarket one cost me €885 + €144 for the Cat, as opposed to €1600 for the OEM. I am not even sure the 1600 includes the Cat.

To be honest I am not a fan of the looks of the Graves. Whilst the Akrapovic looks great, the difference in sound is good but difference in volume is next to non-existent which makes me wonder if my purchase was worthwhile. If I had to do it again I would go for an arrow.

Edited by bugie

• 7 months later...

Akrapovic has 2 types of headers available for the Tracer, stainless steel and titanium with a titanium can and carbon end cap. Is one type of header better than the other? I do like the look of titanium headers when they turn blue. 

14 hours ago, mingo said:

Akrapovic has 2 types of headers available for the Tracer, stainless steel and titanium with a titanium can and carbon end cap. Is one type of header better than the other? I do like the look of titanium headers when they turn blue. 

Mine came as a complete system and I'm not sure what material the headers are made from, but they do have a blueish tinge in parts after 8,000km.

• 5 weeks later...