Cleaning header pipes.

I’ve read of multiple methods to clean headers and most sound labor intensive with relatively toxic materials. A suggestion I found online is to use Kaboom bathroom cleanser and a scotchbrite pad. It sounded too simple, but it works great. Spray on the headers, wait a couple of minutes and then scrub with the pad. About five minutes of scrubbing followed by wiping clean with a microfiber towel was all it took to remove the last 22,000 miles of accumulted stains.

• Thumbsup 4
  • Thanks 2

On 3/24/2019 at 7:57 PM, kingfisher said:

I’ve read of multiple methods to clean headers and most sound labor intensive with relatively toxic materials. A suggestion I found online is to use Kaboom bathroom cleanser and a scotchbrite pad. It sounded too simple, but it works great. Spray on the headers, wait a couple of minutes and then scrub with the pad. About five minutes of scrubbing followed by wiping clean with a microfiber towel was all it took to remove the last 22,000 miles of accumulted stains.

Pics?

I cleaned mine with a scotchbrite and some autosol  Wasn't too hard but considering they were done a month ago I'm a little concerned at the rate they deteriorate at.

Are stainless aftermarket pipes much more resistant? 

Will try with oven cleaner next time. 

I've read that abrasives thin the chrome plating a bit each time they are used on a header. Eventually removing it all together.

True or not?  I dunno!

cb

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
51 minutes ago, micah2074 said:

I think the factory header is stainless, not  crome plated. 

Can someone confirm?  The stock headpipes on mine look a lot like they are rusting in spots... not what I would have expected for stainless.   I going to try some form of traditional stainless cleaning & polishing, but obviously that’s only relevant if they’re actually stainless steel.  

Thanks!

-Scott

I assume they are stainless, but not sure. Some of the blotches of discoloration looked like rust, but I think they were just stains; after removal, there was no pitting like I’d expect with rusting. I believe that the stains are just the  product of road grime, etc, and the extreme heat of the headers. In any event, it came off pretty easily. Reading the contents of the Kaboom cleanser didn’t reveal anything particularly toxic, but I did put up a barrier of aluminum foil behind the pipes to prevent overspray from contacting the engine block, etc. I’m not sure that was necessary, but it seemed like a good idea. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
29 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Can someone confirm?  The stock headpipes on mine look a lot like they are rusting in spots... not what I would have expected for stainless.   I going to try some form of traditional stainless cleaning & polishing, but obviously that’s only relevant if they’re actually stainless steel.  

Thanks!

-Scott

Have you considered Ceramic coating?  I had the header on my previous FZ1 ceramic coated and it never corroded or discolored.  I'm planning on getting the header on my FJ coated soon before riding season kicks into full gear. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Abrasive will wear away any coating but my pipes were rusting up so if there is a coating it's not doing much good. There are alot of grades and makeups of stainless steel and from my experience (and seeing a 2018 with pipes nigh on rotten) I think the oem headers are "budget", to be kind. 

• 3 years later...
  • Supporting Member
On 3/27/2019 at 2:00 PM, betoney said:

Have you considered Ceramic coating?  I had the header on my previous FZ1 ceramic coated and it never corroded or discolored.  I'm planning on getting the header on my FJ coated soon before riding season kicks into full gear. 

Old thread I know Brian but did you get around to doing your headers?

If so, how has the ceramic stood up to the elements?

I ask because I might be able to call in a favour at the right price and am wondering if it's worth doing.

TIA

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, dazzler24 said:

Old thread I know Brian but did you get around to doing your headers?

If so, how has the ceramic stood up to the elements?

I ask because I might be able to call in a favour at the right price and am wondering if it's worth doing.

TIA

I haven’t done the headers on my FJ yet. If I get them ceramic coated, it would be in the next month or two while the weather is still wet. They are pretty discolored and need some attention, whether that’s coating or clean and polish. 

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, betoney said:

I haven’t done the headers on my FJ yet. If I get them ceramic coated, it would be in the next month or two while the weather is still wet. They are pretty discolored and need some attention, whether that’s coating or clean and polish. 

Yes, mine are too (discoloured that is) and I don't fancy putting in the hard yards to bring them back up only to need to do them again in the not too distant future.

I know you've said you've done it on previous bikes.  Are you happy with how the ceramic has stood up to the environment with time?  Any maintenance required other than a wash and rinse off?

Cheers.

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Yes, mine are too (discoloured that is) and I don't fancy putting in the hard yards to bring them back up only to need to do them again in the not too distant future.

I know you've said you've done it on previous bikes.  Are you happy with how the ceramic has stood up to the environment with time?  Any maintenance required other than a wash and rinse off?

Cheers.

It is extremely durable. My brother has had his coated for many years on his Honda 919 and they still look good. 
After getting them coated, they have never discolored. 

• Thanks 1