Bike stutters when clutching into a stop

Hi everyone,

I have a 2017 Fj-09 with 6400 miles. Every time I engine brake or use front brake to a stop, bike stutters (almost like stalling - jerking forward and backward) at low speed with the clutch pulled in. This can be alleviated or resolved either by feathering or totally releasing the brake. Doesn't happen with neutral. Bike runs ok otherwise. Anyone has any suggestions?

is this a new start or has it always done that? it sounds like the ABS is kicking in, or it is the twitchy throttle. maybe check the ABS sensor at the front wheel to make sure it is on properly? maybe would just needing a flash if it was the twitchy throttle or engine braking 

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, bugie said:

Could it be a warped disc?

^^^

If it does it with clutch engaged it almost has to be....

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Supporting Member
19 hours ago, chitown said:

Hmm. Not an expert but have experienced warped rotors before (others did the warping) and they gave no sign of it unless actually on the brakes. Since OP said "engine brake or use front brake " rotors wasn't on my list.

I tend to agree, and the ‘doesn’t happen in neutral’ is even more telling.   Not sure what to suggest, although checking for loose steering head bearings might be a place to start.  

Either warped clutch plates, operator is letting the engine get to low in RPMs in gear, or tire wear is causing the speed sensors to see 2 reads outta spec, head bearing, tire rotation, too tight of chain or loose safety connection...

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

On 3/30/2019 at 9:03 AM, thepmh said:

is this a new start or has it always done that? it sounds like the ABS is kicking in, or it is the twitchy throttle. maybe check the ABS sensor at the front wheel to make sure it is on properly? maybe would just needing a flash if it was the twitchy throttle or engine braking 

It has always done this since the day I bought it. An ECU flash is on my to-do list.

19 hours ago, chitown said:

Hmm. Not an expert but have experienced warped rotors before (others did the warping) and they gave no sign of it unless actually on the brakes. Since OP said "engine brake or use front brake " rotors wasn't on my list.

Definitely not an expert myself, but like you said - it still happens when I engine brake with the clutch pulled in. Braking feels fine at higher speed. I will still look at the rotors just to be sure, but would be surprised if this was the issue

18 hours ago, norcal616 said:

Either warped clutch plates, operator is letting the engine get to low in RPMs in gear, or tire wear is causing the speed sensors to see 2 reads outta spec, head bearing, tire rotation, too tight of chain or loose safety connection...

I normally disengage the clutch around 3k, then it starts doing the whole stuttering thing as the bike slows down

Clutch cable slack??? If you have a first gen clutch cable they tend to stretch then finally break... Yamaha has a new version of the clutch cable ending in "-2"

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member
14 minutes ago, tai1122 said:

it still happens when I engine brake with the clutch pulled in. Braking feels fine at higher speed. 

If the clutch is pulled in then you are not using engine braking.   Engine braking is rolling the throttle off and using the engine compression to slow you down. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, norcal616 said:

Clutch cable slack??? If you have a first gen clutch cable they tend to stretch then finally break... Yamaha has a new version of the clutch cable ending in "-2"

Will check- thank you!

1 hour ago, betoney said:

If the clutch is pulled in then you are not using engine braking.   Engine braking is rolling the throttle off and using the engine compression to slow you down. 

I see. I meant to say engine brake and then pull the clutch in.

Archived