Aux 12v cigarette fuse help needed

Hi, just bought an awesome Tracer 900. Love it!

Stupidly tried to plug in air compressor and now cigarette lighter not working. 

People online suggest replacing Terminal 1 fuse, manual says this is under the seat. I looked and there are two banks of fuses that are obvious and 2 sealed modules. These two sealed modules are what the manual suggest holds the terminal 1 fuse that should be blown.

Any ideas? I know there is a front fuse box, but I can't see it. Please don't tell me I need to strip down the whole front end!!! :(

Thanks in advance,

Ryan (newbie member, so apologise if it's been posted before)

37 minutes ago, ryanyoule said:

Any ideas? I know there is a front fuse box, but I can't see it. Please don't tell me I need to strip down the whole front end!!! :(

You'll need to remove the front rhs fairing to access two fuse blocks, but that's an easy job as it's secured by three 'quick-fastener' screws which come out (and go back in) very quickly and easily.   The manual has pix somewhere.   God alone know why the various fuses are scattered all over this bike!

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member

I installed a pigtail directly to the battery that can be used to power a compressor, battery tender or accessories. I've used the cig lighter just for charging my phone.

• Thumbsup 2

1 hour ago, nigel5 said:

I have an intimate lead to battery and plug compressor into that, learnt a while ago that accessory plugs don't like compressor' s!

Same here: battery direct for pump/ compressor.   Behind-screen leads for 12v voltmeter and 2 x DRL LEDs.

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

2 hours ago, ryanyoule said:

So no need for a fuse if running straight from battery?

I don't have one, others may, but an in-line fuse costing about $5 may not be a bad idea!

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, ryanyoule said:

If you use a battery tender lead they are already fused, usually 7.5amps. If you make up your own wiring make sure you use a fuse, those wires will be hot all the time.

• Thumbsup 2

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, ryanyoule said:

I purchased mine at cycle gear. Takes less than 5 minutes to install.

1 hour ago, fr8dog said:

I purchased mine at cycle gear. Takes less than 5 minutes to install.

This... $1.75.

Standard Duty 5A 3AG Inline Fuse Holder

Is it worth fitting an on/off rocker switch on the positive so the lead doesn't stay constantly 'hot'? 

I'm thinking of keeping this outlet under the passenger seat, out of the way, and for use in emergencies anyway, therefore, won't be used that often.

Thanks for all your input chaps.

Ry

1 hour ago, ryanyoule said:

Is it worth fitting an on/off rocker switch on the positive so the lead doesn't stay constantly 'hot'? 

I'm thinking of keeping this outlet under the passenger seat, out of the way, and for use in emergencies anyway, therefore, won't be used that often.

Ry

If it's only purpose is the compressor you could just get rid of the compressor's male cig connector and replace with battery clamps or use a female cig-to-clamp adapter which are available on Amazon and most auto parts stores. 

• Thumbsup 1

That would make life a lot easier! Had no idea an adapter like that even exists! So, thanks to this thread, I’ve managed to solve my original problem AND sorted the compressor issue through a simple adapter! That way I can still use it on my car through the conventional cig socket! Thanks all. Ride on ;) 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, ryanyoule said:

Ry

Look for a compressor that has an SAE connector, same as your battery tender.  My battery tender lead is connected to my battery permanently, when I'm not riding over the winter, I plug in the tender, my heated vest also uses an SAE plug - very convenient.

battery-charger-harness-antigravity-accessory.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***