Aux 12v cigarette fuse help needed

40 minutes ago, betoney said:

Look for a compressor that has an SAE connector, same as your battery tender.  My battery tender lead is connected to my battery permanently, when I'm not riding over the winter, I plug in the tender, my heated vest also uses an SAE plug - very convenient.

Also a fan of the two pin SAE connectors as they take little space on the bike and make nice quick disconnects when you have five motorcycles but only one expensive GPS cradle, heated gear, etc. If accessories don't come with them I add my own inline. For those that don't already own a compressor more are showing up with these options lately:

1379504944_ScreenShot2019-04-02at7_22_37PM.png.c6f13b6b50b0753e58dd90f2d9714e5c.png

• Thumbsup 3

On 4/3/2019 at 2:42 AM, betoney said:

Look for a compressor that has an SAE connector, same as your battery tender.  My battery tender lead is connected to my battery permanently, when I'm not riding over the winter, I plug in the tender, my heated vest also uses an SAE plug - very convenient.

battery-charger-harness-antigravity-accessory.jpg

Do Yamaha fit these as standard for keeping the battery topped up when not in use? I've found a couple of random leads, one tucked in by the battery that I assumed was either for an upgrade or where they can plug in their diagnostic computers. I've not seen a stray SAE lead yet though! It would be handy to know if it does have one on the 2016 model so I can keep her topped up over the winter. I've only just put a new battery on her!!! (Fortunately got it done under warranty ;)

Ride on!

Ry

That original accessory (cigarette lighter ) plug fuse is only 2A, will not take more than some 25W load, your compressor is probably double that. I put in there 5A fuse and using it with my 40W heated vest. BTW, this pig tail plug has 15A fuse on it so you can put close to 200W load on it.

Bear in mind that swapping fuses to allow for more draw may require replacing the wiring. Not saying it is or isn't in the cases mentioned above but if you're new to adding electrical accessories to a bike your default policy should be to avoid swapping fuses for another with a higher amperage rating until you've determined the draw needed and consulted a reference to determine the appropriate gauge wire.

/Nanny :)  

• Thumbsup 2

• 4 years later...
  • Premium Member
On 4/1/2019 at 8:17 AM, ryanyoule said:

wordsmith - you Sir, are an absolute gent!

Thanks so much! You've just saved me a whole lot of running around!!! Fuse located, new 3A fuse ordered!

Don't you just love it when a forum works???

Happy riding :)

Ry

hope you ordered a new spare for "Just in Case" last thing you need is being short on fuses. Or spare fuses....... Just ask me sometime.