MT09 (FJ) Tracer Steering Wobbling

• Premium Member
I'd just like to say, "I'm not dead yet."

I must be immortal as I can't seem to make this bike want to kill me. It's not like I don't provoke it and with a UK spec bike there is no limiter other than the rev limiter. That cuts in at 134mph in 4th gear. Not got there in 5th.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 4 weeks later...
Wessie, I'm with you - still here. US spec bike with hard bags and Givi top case, routinely run at or near limiter with a Large CalSci screen and have yet to find the wobble. Probably because I weigh 260. Once I reflash, I'll see if it's waiting for me. You replace your pads yet? Thinking of "HH" series EBC.
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

• Premium Member
Wessie, I'm with you - still here. US spec bike with hard bags and Givi top case, routinely run at or near limiter with a Large CalSci screen and have yet to find the wobble. Probably because I weigh 260. Once I reflash, I'll see if it's waiting for me. You replace your pads yet? Thinking of "HH" series EBC.
No. Edging towards 8000 miles and still on OE pads. 
As stated in another thread, I have a set of Ferodo ST sitting here to go on the front. I spotted them on Ebay when I had the Super Tenere. Fortunately, Yamaha seem to use the same pads on most of their bikes so they will slot straight in the Tracer. Ferodo ST are HH rated and I have had good performance from Ferodo in the past. They are a pretty colour too :)
fdb-st.png
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Thanks for the tip, Wessie. Will have to look at those - don't like the feel of the rear brake, but the front will pull you down okay. Use the front the most - except in traffic and on hills. Glad to hear there's some life in the front pucks - about two tire changes.
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

• 1 month later...
I just bought my FJ-09 last Saturday, and I noticed the wobble only happens in 5th gear as I accelerate to 80+MPH, hit 6th gear and it rides through the wobble. I will increase my spring pressure tonight as well and see if it helps.. Thanks for the advice..

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
My FJ09 has never exhibited headshake. I found the following list of headshake troubleshooting items while reading Total Control: High Performance Riding Techniques by Lee Parks. It might help someone.

4250423.jpg

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

pattonme, I never measured my sag numbers. Both me and my son experienced the wobble on 2 different 2015 FJ's. In reading the threads, I decided to increase the fork compression to approx. 90%. Since doing that, neither of us have experienced the wobble again. Now on my bike the wobble only happened when pulling hard through the gears, in 5th gear is when it happens. Shift to 6th and you can ride through it. But it is not a good feeling. Pulling hard through the gears, by the time you hit 5th, your moving at a good clip..

Come on guys.....this bike has sport bike geometry. While the stock suspension is budget it can be adjusted.
Adjust your suspension for your weight and if your going to ride aggressively then adjust your body position accordingly.
You can't ride this bike like a cruiser or low powered neo retro ie: V7, Bonneville, etc.

Vince, you are right. It can be ADJUSTED. Pattonme gave me some tips and I never had a wobble. I used "sag and swag" and got the bike stable for my 260# frame - then put on EBC pads, a steering damper and reflash. The only thing about the damper is that the bike is less nimble at low speeds on the "Rolls Royce in the Sweepers" setting. Waiting for an open track in the spring to test my settings at speed.

• Premium Member
The cure has been found, well not quite a cure, but the solution it seems is just to ignore it and carry on. A Honda rider demonstrates: link
or not - removed due to a copyright breach

• Premium Member
The cure has been found, well not quite a cure, but the solution it seems is just to ignore it and carry on. A Honda rider demonstrates: link
or not - removed due to a copyright breach

OK, just search for Goncalves Dakar crash