Cycle World Long term article

This was interesting to see our bikes get continuing coverage.  

it-tracer-tire.jpg?itok=ZlAkML5s
WWW.CYCLEWORLD.COM

Nick Ienatsch prepares his long-term 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT to hit the road to COTA MotoGP.

I am especially focused on the gearing change.  Has anyone ever tried something like that?  I am tempted to go for it.  One of my dislikes on the bike is that it feels too revvy for my riding style.  Tempting...

30 minutes ago, open1mind said:

I am especially focused on the gearing change.  Has anyone ever tried something like that?  I am tempted to go for it.  One of my dislikes on the bike is that it feels too revvy for my riding style.  Tempting...

Ditto that, in spades.   Good article thus far, not too much gushing...   I'm sure, open1mind, that I'm not alone in hoping that you will alert us to future follow-ups on this article: thanks!

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
22 hours ago, open1mind said:

One thing you have to remember is that changing you final gearing doesn't just change the rpm's at cruising speed, it affects the entire range.  He made a massive change by going +1 on the front AND -2 on the rear (changing 1 tooth on the front is almost the same as changing 3 on the rear, so in effect he went -5 on the rear). 

While the top gear engine speed was lowered I would think riding in the city or stop and go commuting would have more need to slip the clutch, in his article he even wrote " the bike felt a big boggy off the line with the taller gearing".

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I assume the speedo accuracy is also affected throughout. No big deal for me.

I am tempted to try this mod as I find my FJ too revvy at speed. And as far as boggy, unless your main concern is launching at the drag strip that does not seem to be a huge downside.

A new R1 I rode had a VERY tall first gear.

I did not see FJ Tracer parts on the  Driven website. You?

cb

• Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
14 minutes ago, nhchris said:

I am tempted to try this mod as I find my FJ too revvy at speed. And as far as boggy, unless your main concern is launching at the drag strip that does not seem to be a huge downside.

I did not see FJ Tracer parts on the  Driven website. You?

cb

Boggy isn't a huge downside???  His gearing change is about the same as -5 teeth on the rear sprocket, that would make it feel like taking off in 3rd every time you take off from a start, - HUGE effect on the way the bike rides in day to day traffic. 

I didn't look at the Driven site, but Sprocket Center has the gearing you are looking for.

• Thumbsup 3

If anything I believe the front sprocket should be -1T less than stock... It's just right- pulls sooooo predictably to redline from 2nd gear start...

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

1 hour ago, betoney said:

Boggy isn't a huge downside???  His gearing change is about the same as -5 teeth on the rear sprocket, that would make it feel like taking off in 3rd every time you take off from a start, - HUGE effect on the way the bike rides in day to day traffic. 

I didn't look at the Driven site, but Sprocket Center has the gearing you are looking for.

We'll see what he thinks of the reworked ratio in the next installment. Lensch is no lightweight when it comes to high performance riding, so his observations are to be taken seriously.

The FJ / Tracer is a of a Rorschach test. When you look at it you see what you want.

Some see a canyon carver, some a touring platform, some an everyday commute.

Me, I see a touring rig. In that role my FJ's high RPM at highway speeds and close ratio trans gearing are literally a buzzkill for me.

• Thumbsup 1
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Premium Member

I tried 1 down in the front at about 15k miles and went back to stock when I replaced the chain and both sprockets at about 22k miles.

I don't find the FJ to be buzzy (Grip Puppies, bar packed ed with BBs and rubber covered pegs may explain some of that) but I like the snappy and revy nature of the CP3 engine (albeit after having the ECU flashed) and often ride in A mode.  In fact, I sometimes catch myself cruising on the freeway in 4th gear and only notice because of the higher gas mileage read-out.  I have my 15 set up as a sport-tourer (Shad SH46 top case and SH36 side cases, and a Givi touring screen with adjustable spoiler) but like a good romp Sunday in Cheeseheadland as much as I do on my VTR1000F; which I also moded to the touring side because of my aging bod...

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
33 minutes ago, nhchris said:

We'll see what he thinks of the reworked ratio in the next installment. Lensch is no lightweight when it comes to high performance riding, so his observations are to be taken seriously.

The FJ / Tracer is a of a Rorschach test. When you look at it you see what you want.

Some see a canyon carver, some a touring platform, some an everyday commute.

Me, I see a touring rig. In that role my FJ's high RPM at highway speeds and close ratio trans gearing are literally a buzzkill for me.

I agree with you about Nicks knowledge and experience, I have followed his writing for many years, met him and attended his training seminars.  All I am saying is altering the final drive will no doubt net you the result you achieve on the highway, BUT it will also affect the entire rpm range in the same way, you cant have it affect only highway cruising speed. 

I have changed the final drive gearing on every bike I have owned for the last 25 years, every single one of them.  I can tell you that altering the gearing 2-3 teeth makes a very noticeable difference, altering it 5 teeth is extreme. 

A cheap option would be to only change the front to a 17T for $25 and see how you like it, then know that also changing the rear to a 43T would almost double that effect.  Best of luck.

5 minutes ago, betoney said:

A cheap option would be to only change the front to a 17T for $25 and see how you like it, then know that also changing the rear to a 43T would almost double that effect.  Best of luck.

Great idea @betoney.

Will 1 tooth on the primary require a chain length adjustment?

cb

2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, nhchris said:

Great idea @betoney.

Will 1 tooth on the primary require a chain length adjustment?

cb

With a 1 tooth change you should have room to move the axle forward in the swingarm, I changed my gearing the opposite direction to a 15 tooth sprocket, -1T and there was plenty of room to move the wheel backward.

Buzzy vibration is mainly due to that rubber noise damping donut on the front sprocket- it does not let the chain ride in the inner rollers but rather about 75% of the outside link( more like the leading edge rides on the rubber and the tail end is just slightly riding on the rubber)..this gave me a odd rhythmic bass feeling vibration that got worse as RPM climbed.. a plain Jane sprocket gives me a faint natural chain/sprocket vibration/feeling and it's the same no matter the RPM...

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

2 hours ago, norcal616 said:

If anything I believe the front sprocket should be -1T less than stock... It's just right- pulls sooooo predictably to redline from 2nd gear start...

I totally agree on this.  The gearing is good as it is, but I would consider gearing it down to make low speed operation a little easier.  Stop and go traffic requires a lot of clutch slippage and sixth gear is so tall I don't feel like I'd be missing anything when I want to cruise at speed in overdrive.