What do you think of the OEM tires?

My rear OEM lasted 4.1K miles (best I've ever gotten out of an OEM). Putting on Metzeler Roadtec Z8's.

They always felt vague and not confidence inspiring, though a recent WV and VA ride I pushed it to respectable lean angles. They stuck, but glad to be moving on to better rubber.

Edited by CJ3cyl
  • Thumbsup 1

Just spent 4 days in the Smokies - Smokin roads and tires. Been riding dunlop roadsmarts on a VFR since they've been making them. The stock tires were not bad, but the rear is going to be toast before it gets to 2200 miles. Not as hard on the front (easy into the corners...hard on the way out) I might get 3k out of it. Felt the rear squirm a couple of times, but nothing that kept me from enjoying the motor. Looking forward to some premium rubber.

• Thumbsup 1

21 hours ago, sabre85 said:

Just spent 4 days in the Smokies - Smokin roads and tires. Been riding dunlop roadsmarts on a VFR since they've been making them. The stock tires were not bad, but the rear is going to be toast before it gets to 2200 miles. Not as hard on the front (easy into the corners...hard on the way out) I might get 3k out of it. Felt the rear squirm a couple of times, but nothing that kept me from enjoying the motor. Looking forward to some premium rubber.

I'm heading that way in the morning, have 1300 miles on my OEM tires and I'm sure will be toast by the time get back home. :)

• Thumbsup 1

5400 miles. Doing better than any previous bike or tire for me. Except car tires on the ST1300. 

FZ07 came with Mich Road 4 OEM. they only went a little over 4k miles.

I'll keep going till I see cord or a different rubber layer.

It's amazing, some tires as soon as the tread is gone you see cord. Others you can go 500 miles from bald and still no cord.

20210527_144441.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I find the OEMs are OK in the dry, a bit vague maybe. Terrible in the wet. And as I'm in the UK, that's always an issue 😁

So I'm going to go for a pair of Pilot Road 5s. Fitted both the 4s and 5s to my Fazer thou, great sports touring tyres IMO. Excellent all round grip and wear very well. 

• Thumbsup 3

On 6/9/2021 at 7:05 AM, TomTracer said:

Al, how do you like the Bagster you bought from the guy from near Paola? You met him in Topeka right?

I like it, rode it from Topeka to Springfield MO - about 250 miles and it was good, felt a bit stiff.  Next day had a 560 mile ride so put the AirHawk on top of it.  Best seat combination I've had.  Did 560 miles with 3 stops and could have gone further.  Have done that ride on a BMW std seat, BMW std seat with AirHawk, BMW Comfort Seat with AirHawk, Tracer GT with std seat and AirHawk and now Tracer GT with Bagster and AirHawk.  Seats got better in the order listed.  I've been lazy since I got back and haven't taken the AirHawk off but I'm happy with the seat.

Headed back out Wednesday on my way to Wyoming and Utah.

EDIT:  Need to put something about the OEM tires here so I won't be totally off topic.  As I've posted pulled OEM's as I didn't like the feel of the from in particular.  Did suspension adjustments and changed tires so probably a combination of both.  Got about 3,000 on front Pilot Power 5 and just replaced rear with another Road 5.  Road 5 that was on had 3,800 on it when put on and now 6,800 on it.  Had some life left but not enough for 5,000 mile trip.  Probably had more spirited riding on those tires than any tires I've had in a while.  Consistent good wet traction is what has kept me on Road 5s.  Other tires are good maybe better but when heading out to unfamiliar roads that might be wet I like to now what I'm riding on.  Thinking hard about Roadsmart IVs for next set.

Edited by PhotoAl
  • Thumbsup 2

OK, FINE, I'll change my OEM Dunlop.

5750 miles. New Roadsmart 2 rear going on.  Front OEM Dunlop can still go further.

That's actually great mileage for a rear for me. Of course first 1k miles wasn't mine. Might have been a low wear 1k miles.

20210616_152935.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The stockers had a vague feel, especially in the front.  Luckily, back was toast in less than 4,000 miles.  I'm on my second set of Angel GT's and they have been very good.  Still want to go to my old favorite, Michelin Pilot 5 to compare.