Scratched fork outers

I am in the process of upgrading my forks, again. Having just changed the springs I have decided it wasn't enough and have taken the plunge and purchased K-tech 20IDS cartridges.  These will work perfectly with the K-tech springs I fitted during the winter.

However in the process of removing the forks I have put some nasty scratches on the blue uppers.  I understand it's in a place that can't be seen because its between the triple trees but nevertheless I know they're there. 😞

But I don't understand how I could have removed the forks without it happening.  The bolts on the triple trees were all well backed out and I tried to be extremely careful but to no avail.

IMG_20190726_203749.jpg

IMG_20190726_203756.jpg

Any tips on how to sort it, or should I just ignore it given it's invisible once the forks are on the bike?

CS

Edited by captainscarlet

If you take it to a paint store like Benjamin Moore or PPG they can scan the color and make a matching paint. They also sell a little spray bottle that basically turns your own paint into an spray paint can. 

Automotive stores sell pre-made tough up paint you could try to match it closely and go that route. 

When i removed my forks I got a few small scratches but nothing that bad. I guess you just have to go slow and gently pull the tubes out of the triple. My forks are gold though so maybe it just looks worse on the blue.

Edited by dbeau

• Supporting Member

I spread the clamps on the triple tree with wooden wedges that I made from hickory wood which is very hard.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

Fixed for now.  The markings on the other leg came off with a very light sand.  The scratches I had a go at with sandpaper and a bit of light filling.  My local paint shop is closed for the summer and doesn't open for another two weeks.  I was not prepared to wait for a colour match so I put some of my Yamaha blurple touch-up paint in an airbrush and applied that.  As you can see the colours do not match but given that that part of the fork leg is hidden in the lower cockpit I don't think it's a problem.  Next time I pull the forks I might think about getting the colour matched.

IMG_20190727_123050.jpg

IMG_20190727_123057.jpg

Reasonably pleased with the above.  The fun stuff begins on Monday when my K-tech cartridges arrive.

CS

Edited by captainscarlet
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic fix, those look great. 

Sorry that happened to you.  Possibly there was debris (rocks, pebbles, bugs, etc) in the clamp/fork  area that got drawn into the lower tree and wedged in there causing the scratches when it was removed. 

Enjoy the new suspension!

-Skip