Wiring LED Auxiliary Lights with Dimming Controller

Electrical geniuses of the internet! 

I started to install some aux lighting on my FJ this past weekend with an inline dimming controller by Skene. Basically its to function as powered with the ignition all the time and operate at whatever power level you set it to (RED - Switched power). Where I'm currently stuck thanks to reading some of the other posts on this forum about the DC-DC converter is what I would tap my WHITE wire into as it would normally go to the high beam wire to tell the controller when to run at 100% power. 

Any thoughts? 

I haven't contacted the manufacturer yet but that might be my next step. Anyone have a wiring diagram of our bikes? 

5adb6d10a0131_skenewiringdiagram.jpg.567e18c7712c55f0b3da722d5e42fca4.jpg

Find another source of switched 12v or actually measure the Yw/Bk wire to confirm and see if it’s actually switching 12v or ground. 

The issue here is if that is a CAN/BUS wire and you tap into it, you may wreak havoc on the electrical system and associated ($) modules  

There are plenty of other switched 12v sources you can splice into that are safer. 

-Skip

• Supporting Member
31 minutes ago, skipperT said:

The issue here is if that is a CAN/BUS wire and you tap into it, you may wreak havoc on the electrical system and associated ($) modules  

There are plenty of other switched 12v sources you can splice into that are safer. 

-Skip

Our FJ's/Tracers don't use CAN/Bus electronics do they?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

All my later model BMWs had Can-bus - which I re-named as Can't-bus - as for an electronological know-nothing like myself it was a nightmare.   It's one of the many reasons that makes the Tracer so appealing, with very little to go wrong with adding lights, horns, etc.

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

36 minutes ago, bigorangecntry07 said:

According the the specs on their website, it is CANBUS compatible... I've emailed them about it and hope to hear back soon.

D'you REALLY need that SKENE item?   Jus' askin'...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

17 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

D'you REALLY need that SKENE item?   Jus' askin'...

I probably don't, however I don't want to blind the hell out of oncoming traffic when used as running lights. The dimmer allows the lights to function as both running lights (0-100% power in 10% increments of my choosing) and high beams (100%). It also contains an alert feature that pulses the lights for better visibility when you flash high beams twice.

• Supporting Member
31 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

All my later model BMWs had Can-bus - which I re-named as Can't-bus - as for an electronological know-nothing like myself it was a nightmare.   It's one of the many reasons that makes the Tracer so appealing, with very little to go wrong with adding lights, horns, etc.

I have always heard that about the BMW electronics, its almost like you have to buy proprietary accessories. 

I briefly owned a BMW car and once the electronic problems started, they multiplied like a virus.  It was an absolutely miserable ownership experience.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

So this is everything I heard back from the manufacturer: 

Our kit does have the full harness and relay, so all main power is being pulled from the battery, the only power draw from tapping into anything is the skene trigger wire that pulls very little power. The wire is not tapping into the system to trigger a relay, just picking up a signal, we do this quite often on the Honda Africa twin which also uses factory LED headlights.. as long as  you can find a 12v source that comes on with the high beam the system will work and not cause any damage to the system or the bike.. If there are no wires to the headlight that have 12v positive at high beam operation(only), I would suggest trying the high beam indicator light, #62 on the diagram. all you need is a 12v power source that come on and off with the high beam. The skene will not backfeed.

tip run the red skene wire and black relay trigger wire to the same switched power source.. the wire you are concerned with for the high beam input is the white skene wire, pulls .02 amps and 1/4 watt.. barley measurable,, should be fine at the high beam indicator light 

They even offered to install them for me but, unfortunately they are based in Washington state and that's a bit far from TN.

Great!   Sounds like the sort of service everyone should offer, but so few do.   I had some SKENE lights on an earlier BMW and had a problem, which they advised me on via e-mail - even further from Oz to WA!! - and all was well in little time.   Great guys to deal with.

7 hours ago, betoney said:

Our FJ's/Tracers don't use CAN/Bus electronics do they?

Yes  - the Ecm has 2 pins marked CAN Hi and Lo, from 2015 up to the newest GT Models. What’s unclear to me however is which electronics are using CAN. The only component that I know for certain is the ABS module. There’s some trouble shooting info in the ABS section which confirms this. I haven’t spent enough time with the newer GT/Tracer book for 18-19 to say if any other components are in the loop besides the ABS. And because the abs sensors are used by the TCS system...

I don’t believe that the switches are part of the network (like H-D now does for example), but I cannot confirm if the LED module, instrument cluster, or anything else are on the network. For example, the cruise control system may, which operates out of the LH switch, but I can’t say for certain. And why would Yamaha run the cruise system on CAN and utilize the rest of the functions of the LH switch pack in a more traditional way? Doesn’t make sense in my mind...

but better to proceed with caution. 

-Skip

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bigorangecntry07 said:

So this is everything I heard back from the manufacturer: 

Our kit does have the full harness and relay, so all main power is being pulled from the battery, the only power draw from tapping into anything is the skene trigger wire that pulls very little power. The wire is not tapping into the system to trigger a relay, just picking up a signal, we do this quite often on the Honda Africa twin which also uses factory LED headlights.. as long as  you can find a 12v source that comes on with the high beam the system will work and not cause any damage to the system or the bike.. If there are no wires to the headlight that have 12v positive at high beam operation(only), I would suggest trying the high beam indicator light, #62 on the diagram. all you need is a 12v power source that come on and off with the high beam. The skene will not backfeed.

tip run the red skene wire and black relay trigger wire to the same switched power source.. the wire you are concerned with for the high beam input is the white skene wire, pulls .02 amps and 1/4 watt.. barley measurable,, should be fine at the high beam indicator light 

They even offered to install them for me but, unfortunately they are based in Washington state and that's a bit far from TN.

Good info. 

I’m not certain on how the ATwin runs the LED headlights, although I can research it - but the answer to one of their questions is NO - there isn’t a 12v signal between the LED control module and the headlamp. Yamaha uses the module to “step up” the operating current to between 24-28v on its way to the headlamp. Before the module lies the ECM which is responding to info from the LH Switch and telling the LED module what to do. 

At least one member of this board has smoked the channel of his ECM that was responsible for triggering the LED module. That’s why I’m warning you by jumping into this discussion.

If it were me, I’d tie into another 12v source, or pursue tying into the 12v signal (test it first for V) that fires the High beam indicator in the Instrument Panel as he suggested. 

Sorry if this “simple” install isn’t going as planned, but bikes are becoming more like cars in the sense that some of the tradional system wiring from years ago has been modernized. With all this advanced tech, it’s important to have a basic understanding of the circuits before cutting into them, IMHO. 

-Skip