Wiring LED Auxiliary Lights with Dimming Controller

• Premium Member
On 9/11/2019 at 11:03 AM, bigorangecntry07 said:

I haven't had the time since making this post originally to check on the power sources yet, but in my instance the trigger wire is sent to the dimming module before any type of relay so it may have less impact in my set up. I don't really know but I hope to tackle this soon and report back! I do have the wiring diagram though so I'll see if I can find or get to the indicator light wiring. 

Did you ever finish this project? I'm curious whether you tapped into the yellow/black or yellow wire for the high beam trigger. I'm in the middle of six straight weeks of work travel so I haven't had time to chase voltages myself. 

3 hours ago, keithu said:

Did you ever finish this project? I'm curious whether you tapped into the yellow/black or yellow wire for the high beam trigger. I'm in the middle of six straight weeks of work travel so I haven't had time to chase voltages myself. 

No I've been working a lot and traveling some as well. I might be able to work on it next weekend but I'm leaving for Chicago tomorrow. 

• Thumbsup 1

I wired in the Skene controller as per the single wire model (I have three wire lights). There is no power to the bike when HB is switched, even through the indicator light on the dash.

I wired as per the diagram shown earlier, but to get the HB to switch, I had to run the bike HB wire from the LED controller under the headlight, to power, through a relay, and then double the power back through the relay to the white wire.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, jdavis said:

I wired in the Skene controller as per the single wire model (I have three wire lights). There is no power to the bike when HB is switched, even through the indicator light on the dash.

I wired as per the diagram shown earlier, but to get the HB to switch, I had to run the bike HB wire from the LED controller under the headlight, to power, through a relay, and then double the power back through the relay to the white wire.

So when you say, "the bike HB wire from the LED controller under the headlight," do you mean the yellow or yellow/black wire? 

What you describe makes sense for a standard light circuit. You wouldn't want to power the aux lights through the OEM light circuit or switch, those would simply energize a relay for aux light power. But I thought with the Skene controller that the white wire just needs a signal (any voltage) to trigger its own built-in SS relay. Weird.

2 hours ago, keithu said:

So when you say, "the bike HB wire from the LED controller under the headlight," do you mean the yellow or yellow/black wire? 

What you describe makes sense for a standard light circuit. You wouldn't want to power the aux lights through the OEM light circuit or switch, those would simply energize a relay for aux light power. But I thought with the Skene controller that the white wire just needs a signal (any voltage) to trigger its own built-in SS relay. Weird.

Yes, the yellow and black wire from the hb side of the bike controller.

The Skene white wire switches the controller when hb is selected, but it needs pwr and the bike does not supply power from the hb, so the relay is the way around it.

Edited by jdavis
  • Thumbsup 1

13 hours ago, keithu said:

So I thought the Skene controller was getting power via the red wire, and white is just a switching signal from the HB. Now I'm confused.

That is correct, but the signal must be positive.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I see, thank you. 

Has anyone tried using the yellow wire for HB triggering? According to the wiring diagram in my Haynes manual it triggers the high beam indicator light, so I would expect it has positive voltage. 

20 hours ago, jdavis said:

Yes, the yellow and black wire from the hb side of the bike controller.

The Skene white wire switches the controller when hb is selected, but it needs pwr and the bike does not supply power from the hb, so the relay is the way around it.

Remember that the FJ (and most Yamahas) don’t provide any power to the main lights until the engine is RUNNING. 

This is by design. 
-Skip

18 hours ago, skipperT said:

Remember that the FJ (and most Yamahas) don’t provide any power to the main lights until the engine is RUNNING. 

This is by design. 
-Skip

This conversation is about lights being operative, bike running is a given.

• Thumbsup 1

20 hours ago, keithu said:

I see, thank you. 

Has anyone tried using the yellow wire for HB triggering? According to the wiring diagram in my Haynes manual it triggers the high beam indicator light, so I would expect it has positive voltage. 

I thought that too, but playing with the multimeter and the meter plug, it definitely lost power when the indicator light came on. Tracer might be different to the FJ wiring, but I doubt it.

• Thumbsup 1

5 hours ago, jdavis said:

This conversation is about lights being operative, bike running is a given.

It’s not a given for some people.

Many folks when testing wires simply switch the bike and RH switch “on” and then check for 12v on a connector. If you do that on a Yamaha without the engine running, that could be a powered circuit once the bike is started and idling if it passes through the starting circuit cutoff relay.

i would say that’s good information to know, and that some owners without a lot of technical skill reading this thread and/or troubleshooting, might want to consider that info. 

so no, I would never assume that it’s a given to have a bike running when testing wires. You know what they say about assuming. 
-S

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jdavis said:

I thought that too, but playing with the multimeter and the meter plug, it definitely lost power when the indicator light came on. Tracer might be different to the FJ wiring, but I doubt it.

Which means you were possibly measuring the voltage drop if everything was connected. If not, then it’s powered by something else and the ECM provides ground to trigger the light. 

-S

21 hours ago, skipperT said:

Which means you were possibly measuring the voltage drop if everything was connected. If not, then it’s powered by something else and the ECM provides ground to trigger the light. 

-S

Meter was disconnected and bike was running, checked voltage on all wires and none had voltage when the HB switch was activated ( yes, and the HB came on). The Yellow wire had voltage unactivated, and dropped when activated. I don't understand the wiring of the Tracer, but I got it to work anyway.

Both the owner and retailer have not yet replied to my messages about the flicker on startup. I can't manually set the output of the DRL function as I can't see the lights blink on ignition.

I have not connected the yellow wire and the lights are supposed to be 20%, which I think is OK, as no one has flashed me day or night.