Bicycle Carrier

Has anyone rigged up a bicycle carrier on their Tracer/FJ?

I found a company 2x2cycles https://2x2cycles.com/product/moto-bicycle-rack/ that makes motorcycle bicycle carriers, and they have a picture of an FJ09 as the stock photo. I've emailed them for more information. I'm a little unsure of the rack on the back. 

YamahaBikeRackOpt.jpg

Curious if anyone else has rigged anything up/

• Thumbsup 1

yeah, it's bizzare.

What I was picturing was remove both wheels, mount the frame sideways behind the bike, then the wheels behind it using a 3 bike carrier type thing, kinda like this person has it set up.

Image result for motorcycle bicycle rack

My heaviest bike is 30 lbs. I think using the passenger grab rail mounts and the side luggage mounts, I could rig something up to hold 30 lbs. My Givi side cases have probably had that much in them lol.

It's probably a stupid idea to try but that's never stopped me. ADVrider is probably a better place to ask for home rigged stuff, but figured I'd search around and ask on the FJ forums first.

No matter how light the bike, it's surely gotta upset the handing.   I doubt it would be legal here...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

The first right-had turn when the bicycle forks drag will be an adventure!!

I'd think long and hard before attempting this setup.

I'm trying to figure out how to carry my 10' surfboard on the FJ.

Edited by nhchris
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

RE top photo...    That's WILD!!

Whatever FJ bits that rack mounts too will get a BIG torsional load from that setup.  If the bicycle center of gravity is around its bottom bracket, that places it about a TWO feet behind the FJ's rear tire and mounting point.

That gives a 30 pound bike a lot of lever to work with, especially on a bumpy road. And in addition there is loading from leaning in corners.

I'd need to talk with someone who has ridden a motorcycle with this rack in real world condx before buying one. That's for sure!

Edited by nhchris
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

per this video, it comes with a strap that you use. He claims it'll shift the weight forward, but I'm skeptical how much.

I'm also trying to figure out what rack they used on the FJ. The ones I've seen say 10kg as max load, which obviously isn't going to be enough. 

Can't find forum posts of people using it for reviews on any site. You also bring up a good point about the lever. 

Edited by mangosmoothie

There are several folks on advrider that use the 2x2, but BMWs IIRC.

My thought the first time seeing one was "I can still lane split with that." But it always looked like something an RV trying to squeeze by in a gas station would not see or back into and... down goes Frazier!

Edited by chitown

Apart from weight distribution, etc. that bicycle could easily cause you fatal injuries in a crash both if someone hits you from behind and throws the bike into you, as well as in a low side (from the pedals, forks, gear cogs, etc). I would personally be much more comfortable with the one posted by mangosmoothie (although that introduces corner clearance concerns)

12 hours ago, nhchris said:

RE top photo...    That's WILD!!

Whatever FJ bits that rack mounts too will get a BIG torsional load from that setup.  If the bicycle center of gravity is around its bottom bracket, that places it about a TWO feet behind the FJ's rear tire and mounting point.

That gives a 30 pound bike a lot of lever to work with, especially on a bumpy road. And in addition there is loading from leaning in corners.

I'd need to talk with someone who has ridden a motorcycle with this rack in real world condx before buying one. That's for sure!

A 30 lbf load 2 feet behind the mounting point is still only 60 ft-lbf. Less than axle nut torque. 

Let's say you go over a large bump and have an additional G of weight on impact. That's still only 120 ft-lbf of torque. 

The yield strength of aluminum is measured in ksi (thousands of psi). So 120 ft-lbf is peanuts compared to the yield stress. 

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

Makes sense but...

The moment arm of the loading will be straight up on the rear mounting  point. This will pull directly against any fasteners used to bolt the rack to the bike.  Can the bike's mounting points take that kind of constant load over time?

Worse still in your example is the unloading of the front wheel with a 120 lb  momentary load from the rack.  Given a bike with an already light front end, is this addl load sufficient to fly the front wheel enough to significantly reduce contact?

I'd rent a bicycle when I got there rather than use this rack on my FJ!

2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member

Just curious.... how often do riders pull off to the side of the road and think, “I sure wish I had brought my bicycle with me?”  😎

Edited by betoney
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***