Warning! Check Your Side Cases Lock Screws

• 3 weeks later...

Got the security torx bits in today and found out that all 4 screws were still all the way in but required no force at all to remove. So I’m pretty sure they would have gone if I had not seen this post. 
Thank you! Loctite applied!

• Thumbsup 2

Checked mine and they were fine.  Last night re-keyed and installed the lock for my new 39L top case.  In the instructions on the new lock cylinder they say to use Locktight on the screws for it.  I had to laugh a bit having read this thread.  However I think that is a dealer installed item and as we know dealers vary in how well they assemble stuff.  My dealer was great - have found nothing loose or out of place.

• Thumbsup 1

On 1/23/2021 at 6:04 PM, PhotoAl said:

re-keyed and installed the lock for my new 39L top case.  In the instructions on the new lock cylinder they say to use Locktight on the screws for it. 

Did the same thing last week and I can confirm. When I see how stressed my dealer looks most of the time it does not surprise me that some dealers try to save time anywhere they can. They probably have no idea that the lock coming loose also means the case may fall off. In my opinion the responsibility stays with the brand. They should either penalise  the dealers when they don’t follow their instructions to the letter or educate them better about the reasons why things should be done just so.

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2021 at 10:45 AM, Rovari said:

If you don't have the security type torx bit you can easily break the center pin. Use a small slot screwdriver and bend it over as much as you can in one direction then pry it back up. In most cases it will break when you start prying the pin up again, if not, keep bending in the opposite direction. Good luck!

Oh my god!  But then it'll no longer be a security bit and it'll be marginally easier for someone to steal... uhhh, just that little piece of metal.  When the cases are already off your bike.  And open.  

Stupid security screws are stupid.

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 weeks later...

This has been a well known issue in the FJR community for years and years... and YEARS!  It comes as no surprise that the problem continues on the Tracer hard bags - because they are FJR1300 hard bags, just with a different (thinner) outer clamshell. And, yes, this manual that comes with these bags say to loctite the fasteners.