Oregon Road Trip

NordyNordman

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, NordyNordman said:

My trip might look more "zig zaggy" with all the suggestions, 😜 but I'm not complaining!

The more zig-zaggy, the better-er.  If you enjoy Oregon, your next route should be Northern California - you will literally lose your mind, it is ridiculous fun. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

An easy mod: at Maupin take Bakeoven Road down to Shaniko. This won't add any time to your trip, in fact it's probably quicker than 197 to 97. Bakeoven Road has no traffic and is a lot of fun.

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2019 at 6:28 PM, betoney said:

@NordyNordman - It looks like you are headed to Hells Canyon, Highway 86 out of Baker City is AWESOME!  while you are in that area, if I can make a suggestion- instead of taking the interstate North, Highway 3 North out of Enterprise, Or. goes through Rattlesnake Grade, it is exactly what it sounds like, twisty road going up and down in elevation for miles. 👍

image.thumb.png.4010f8e1fc275a296bfc80c673d65354.png

Excellent suggestion! I did this kinda by happenstance a couple of years ago. I was navigating by map and I set out of Joseph and took a wrong turn, and was enjoying the bucolic scenery, and by the time I realized I was on the wrong road, it started to get interesting, so I followed it, and eventually ended up in Walla Walla instead of wherever I was going. Those roads are not to be missed. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2019 at 6:33 PM, betoney said:

The more zig-zaggy, the better-er.  If you enjoy Oregon, your next route should be Northern California - you will literally lose your mind, it is ridiculous fun. 

Seconded. Northern CA, as far as you can get from 101 or I5, it's all gold. 

One of my favorites is Cave Junction, OR -> Happy Camp, CA, along the Klamath river -> Willow Creek, CA -> Eureka, CA for some of the smoothest twisties in the middle of nowhere.

If you like "goat" roads - check out the loop from Ferndale, CA -> Petrolia, CA -> Honeydew, CA, to 101... and if you want to extend it, go down 101 for a short jaunt through the redwoods, then out to Shelter Cove. You might not have any arms left - (we're talking super goaty, and super twisty), but you'll be grinning for weeks.

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
39 minutes ago, kaia said:

One of my favorites is Cave Junction, OR -> Happy Camp, CA, along the Klamath river -> Willow Creek, CA -> Eureka, CA for some of the smoothest twisties in the middle of nowhere.

I took a week long road trip down to that area this summer with a few buddies, riding everything from Happy Camp diagonally down to Reno!  LOTS of high speed shenanigans!  👍

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

10 hours ago, kaia said:

If you like "goat" roads - check out the loop from Ferndale, CA -> Petrolia, CA -> Honeydew, CA, to 101... and if you want to extend it, go down 101 for a short jaunt through the redwoods, then out to Shelter Cove. You might not have any arms left - (we're talking super goaty, and super twisty), but you'll be grinning for weeks.

You just described my favorite ride / roads anywhere. 

0626161427.thumb.jpg.e4554a3e64100c28a6d06f5ce3b1a8ab.jpg

• Like 1

'15 FJ09