• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 48 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Plastic bearings, movement at speed, exploding seats

Rumors. I have seen rumors spread like wildfire about bikes and then in the end, poof, they were untrue.

But I have also seen actual problems with bikes found by forum members and also good solutions by members.

Please, if someone actually finds a plastic bearing where a steel bearing should go, post an actual pic of the plastic bearing.

Head shake at speed? I have encountered this on every single bike that I have ever owned. Once had an Aprilla go ape wild shaking at 140 mph and I still cannot believe that I survived without crashing. Yes, some of you will experience it on the FJ-09 and every other bike ever made.

I am not saying not to post these issues, but please also post proof or some wisdom along with stated issues.

The FJ-09 is one hell of a bike. But it is also a low priced sport tourer. While I don't beleive the plastic bearing theory, I do know that to get a bike in a certain pricepoint, certain items are skimped on. Like, suspension.

this isn't directed at any certain person, I'm so thankful for all of you. But please, Pics or it didn't happen..Qizuyum.gif

• Premium Member
Rumors. I have seen rumors spread like wildfire about bikes and then in the end, poof, they were untrue.  

this made me laugh - talk about nuances on the language across continents...

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

It did. I got a speed wobble at 117 just to prove the UK bikes weren't restricted. It happened. It also happened on my KTM at 80mph, so you are right it happens with lots of bikes.
But it did happen :)

I think he meant pics of a plastic bearing...or until then it's just a guess.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

It did. I got a speed wobble at 117 just to prove the UK bikes weren't restricted. It happened. It also happened on my KTM at 80mph, so you are right it happens with lots of bikes.

Correction: plastic CAGE on the bearing.
The balls and race are made of metal.

And no, it's not a guess. I already know what I will find when it's disassembled.
But I will submit a picture for all you naysayers to view.

-Skip

Oh thank goodness, it was hard enough holding on without having to get my camera out of my pocket  :) 

Before going through a mid life crisis and changing careers, I spent 20 years on the bench as a licensed auto technician.  I hold an Interprovincial Red Seal and Master Mechanic Certifications.   I worked for a shop that specialized in Japanese and European Imports.   I worked on lots of BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda etc. etc.    I have NEVER come across a plastic bearing RACE.  The bearing, rollers, and races are ALWAYS made out of hardened steel.   There are variances in quality of steel, depending on manufacturer, to be sure, but NEVER have I seen a plastic bearing RACE.    

There are plastic CAGES on the bearings.    This is the assembly that holds rollers on the bearing base.  Todays bearing manufacturers use plastic because it is cheaper and easier to form than steel cages.    There is nothing wrong with them.   Their only function is to keep the rollers located on the bearing.    They do not carry any load and are not an indication of the bearing quality.   

I find it extremely difficult to believe that there are plastic steering head bearing races on the FJ-09.  Although they are low speed bearings, plastic would never take the loads and pounding of the steering head.   This would be a MAJOR liability for manufacturers.  

The following website has good photos of both kinds of bearing.                 mridulbearing.com

Just my two cents.  

PS.   Sorry, I tried to post some pictures for examples but I guess I gotta get that part of this site figured out.   LOL

PPS. I don;t know anything about the exploding seats!!  

There's always a Go-Pro...

I set up a bike with a taller rear tire (not an FJ) and it almost killed me. The front end shakes came on at about 70, instead of the expected 120.  Didn't drop it, but that exit from a turn ended up being quite exciting.  Ended up changing rear tires and putting in a steering damper. It was a downhill straight and the taller tire changed my rake and trail just enough. That's the great thing about tracks, no traffic during checkouts of the next best set up.  Please let me know if there is an aftermarket bearing with a steel race/casing offered in the near future if this is a real issue and does not go "POOF".  I like to ride so the adrenaline pumps, but don't like nasty surprises.  

After seeing all the posts, and pics of the bearing type - the possibility of windshield effect seems more likely. The more I ride the bike I realize it is pretty sensitive to inputs at speed. Maybe setting up my suspension over a couple of rides before I took the bike out at speed may have prevented the front end gremlins.

An out of balance front wheel or a change in tire pressures (low front, high rear) might also be a possibility. 
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

So I finally had time today to disassemble the bike a bit and removed the upper steering bearing. I included some shots of what bike it came from first.

9735E42C-DD0C-4209-8030-54732C14257C_zpsny0axkca.jpg

14098DDD-7E41-4905-9E60-A54243483ADC_zpsxf1vvtkp.jpg

The bearing in question.

86F26F3F-6D99-4B25-99B9-9838C849A15A_zpsuzkntysx.jpg

Closer shot of the plastic cage:

9D5AC136-4F28-4D83-BE5D-F73B43A23FD5_zps85xyub2x.jpg

I repacked the upper bearing after I wiped off the grease, and reassembled. I DID over torque the bearing a bit (25-30 ft lbs instead of 18). Noticed a little bit of difference on the ride home.

However, I have ordered a set of AllsBalls bearings and will install when I get some time. Better fix then a steering stabilizer, IMHO

This should be enough to satisfy you naysayers.

-skip

• Premium Member
I talked to the stress guys today at work. This is a non-load bearing area that is plastic. It's sole purpose is to separate the balls which are not spinning fast at all (as fast as you turn the bars). No need to panic, none.
I like tapered roller bearings and may go that route in the future as they are cheap, but stock is fine for me so far once the preload is tightened up for your weight and the rebound is hardened a bit. My bike is solid at speed now and I rode faster than I ever had this past Sunday. This bike still makes me happy and I keep improving and gaining confidence.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

No panic here.

My point before was that a better steering bearing will change the "wobbly" feeling at speed some riders experience. I claimed the cage was plastic, and that was the contributing factor.

You and others doubted, said prove it with pics.

Done.

-S

• Premium Member
No panic here.  
My point before was that a better steering bearing will change the "wobbly" feeling at speed some riders experience. I claimed the cage was plastic, and that was the contributing factor.

You and others doubted, said prove it with pics.

Done.

-S

I appreciate the effort. I hope you understand our skepticism. You put up, and now I will shut up. I started doing research, and there are tons of motorcycle with these cages, even the Triumph street triple! Back in the day, I owned a Honda CBR954rr. They changed out the tapered roller bearings for cheap old ball bearings because of head shake at speed, so I am doubtful the tapered roller bearings will solve the wobbles. I fixed mine with preload and rebound settings. Nice and tight at speed now.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I experienced steering wobble. It was the first time I'd really taken the bike over 90mph, but also shortly after installing the side cases and getting the 600 mile service. The mechanic who performed the 600 mile service claimed the rear wheel alignment was off by a full line and he'd adjusted it.

So I take it up to 95mph and I start getting a distinct shake. Time to troubleshoot.

Well, my rear wheel adjuster screw nut on the right was loose. :o :o :o. Rear hadn't come out of alignment anyways. Tightened the nut. Tried again. Still shaky.

Took the side cases off and tried again. Still shaky!

Decided to just live with it for a while, since I don't do much over-90 riding.

Then, this weekend, I found myself driving PCH at 100+mph without noticing it. Completely stable!

What had I done? I'd adjusted the windscreen back down to the lowest setting.

I think this bike just has twitchy steering. Combined with the electric throttle and the wide handlebars, anything that shakes *you* results in inputs to the throttle and steering.

Archived