Pannier mounting protective stickers

Michiel900GT

More than 5 weeks after the delivery of my new GT, the panniers have finally arrived. I noticed that with the panniers, Yamaha delivers a set of transparent protective stickers which are to be placed on the body of the motor.

Unfortunately, the sticker set was not complete. I will give the dealer a call on Monday, but I was wondering how necessary the stickers are. I do not drive with the panniers very often and having stickers on the bodywork is not something I really look forward to. The stickers may start to peel off in the future or just become ugly by sun and weather. On the other hand, if they are really necessary to prevent scratches I might have to put them on the bike anyway.

I am wondering how many GT riders have those stickers on their bikes. And how well they stick, or how bad the scratching of the body work is without them.

Edited by Michiel900GT
Typo

7 hours ago, Michiel900GT said:

Ok, good to hear. I hope other 900 GT owners have the same experience.

Also, I’ve read in the pannier manual that a top case shouldn’t be used when you have the panniers installed.....That was a bit of a surprise.

The same is said for fjr you could always ignore it, I do😁

• Thumbsup 1

35 minutes ago, Michiel900GT said:

After having a second look at the pannier manual, I saw it was indeed the FJR manual. 

The back of the pannier is identical to the GT. The lid of the fjr panniers are just round giving them the much needed extra space

Edited by bugie

• 7 months later...

I found those clear decals in the panniers and couldn't figure out where to stick them, never received a manual for the panniers. Anyone has any pics to share? 

12 minutes ago, mingo said:

I found those clear decals in the panniers and couldn't figure out where to stick them, never received a manual for the panniers. Anyone has any pics to share? 

On 9/30/2019 at 12:31 PM, bugie said:

The stickers are meant for the FJR not Tracer as it has painted body panels

No application on the Tracer.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/30/2019 at 2:01 PM, Michiel900GT said:

Ok, good to hear. I hope other 900 GT owners have the same experience.

Also, I’ve read in the pannier manual that a top case shouldn’t be used when you have the panniers installed.....That was a bit of a surprise.

In the original brochure for the Tracer it was recommended by Yamaha not to fit a top box, this was either because of the weak shock or a top box could act as an airbrake causing the bike to squat at the rear end at speed, but in Yamaha's accessory catalogue they sell the rack and top box

• 4 months later...
On 5/8/2020 at 12:05 PM, littlebruv said:

In the original brochure for the Tracer it was recommended by Yamaha not to fit a top box, this was either because of the weak shock or a top box could act as an airbrake causing the bike to squat at the rear end at speed, but in Yamaha's accessory catalogue they sell the rack and top box

Usually it’s a liability issue on fitting the tail trunk and many manufacturers have the same warning.  And again, usually it’s not an issue unless you foolishly overload the tail trunk!