Intent to recall FJ09 March 25, 2015

sixcharlie think it too much spin. oldfart thinks it acceptable. Mine rotates about that fast. I can stop it with my foot but it's moving quite fast.
Anyone else chime in? Should I go to my dealer with this as a concern. They did the recall correctly I believe. It shifts well but there is a loud harsh thunk when shifting into first gear from neutral at a stop.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sixcharlie think it too much spin. oldfart thinks it acceptable. Mine rotates about that fast. I can stop it with my foot but it's moving quite fast. Anyone else chime in? Should I go to my dealer with this as a concern. They did the recall correctly I believe. It shifts well but there is a loud harsh thunk when shifting into first gear from neutral at a stop.

I noticed same loud clunk after shifter recall was done too... Wasn't as smooth like when new. Also anyone notice sometimes shifting 2 into 3 sometimes requires more pressure from your foot ?

• Premium Member
Update: So my bike also spins excessively...sometimes.  
On the stand it sometimes spins, sometimes doesn't. When it spins it is either slightly or quite fast. I'm going to have to look into this further.
does it vary with oil temperature? 
I would expect the rear wheel to spin more with colder, more viscous oil. The result would more pronounced if someone used 20W/50 oil instead of the 10W/40 used in the factory. 

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Update: So my bike also spins excessively...sometimes.  
On the stand it sometimes spins, sometimes doesn't. When it spins it is either slightly or quite fast. I'm going to have to look into this further.
does it vary with oil temperature? 
I would expect the rear wheel to spin more with colder, more viscous oil. The result would more pronounced if someone used 20W/50 oil instead of the 10W/40 used in the factory. 

So because it's a wet clutch, I'm assuming colder oil would cause it so spin faster as there is more friction.  The videos I'm showing are with warm engine temps FYI.

Regarding the neutral to first clunk, I've always had that.  Before and after recall.  So no worries unless you are.  I actually enjoy it, quite the satisfying clunk compared to a grind or crunch. 

I will have to test it a few more times to see. But I'm leaning towards it spinning less when cold (I'm using 5w30 Motul and I'll leave it at that). I watched the video, walked out to the garage and tested it. First time light spinning and I stopped the tire with my finger tip. Did that a few more times and it got stronger and stronger the more time passed.

Riding today, at a light, on reasonably flat ground, in 1st gear, clutch in, I lifted my feet and started to roll forward. When that was happening the click to 1st was more of a clunk and second and third felt mushy. I have an excellent relationship with my dealer so I will have them call Yamaha USA this week to inquire about it.

Hey everyone. 
I had my recall done last Sunday and I'm noticing some mildly concerning things.  One, I know the shifting is different.  I don't think that's a direct result of the part replacement, but of the dealer disturbing the clutch gable and shifter etc.  More concerning though, is some additional noise coming from the transmission.  See video.  Normal?  I am mechanically inclined, however, not so with motorcycles.  I've been told motorcycle clutches and flywheels are designed differently, so this is where I could use some help.

Lastly, with the center stand up, the bike in first gear and with the clutch in, the rear tire rotates a fare bit.  Fast enough to where I can't even begin to count how fast it's rotating.  It's as if the clutch is still slightly engaged.  Again, I was told this is normal, but it seems to be more than I recall.  Normal?

Overall, I think they seriously tweaked some items and it's taking me some time to adjust, but I have no idea of how "bad" thing's we're disturbed as I'm a new rider of only 9 months, and only 2 months on this bike.  Thoughts?

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgmRRkS776Y&feature=youtu.be]

Sounds like you are experiencing the same issue as me.  I get a squealing from the engine.  When I put the bike on the center stand and put it in gear and hold the clutch in the rear wheel turns a lot as if the clutch was still engaged.  The noise is similar to a throw out bearing on a normal car.  I had my shifter shaft done over a month ago and have brought this up with the dealer, but can not duplicate the noise.  Now I have put more than 7,000 on the bike since the recall work and it is still working, even with the squealing.  Now I don't like the way it shifts.  It used to smoother.  When feathering the clutch, it starts out right but then grabs in an annoying way.  Not like my other bikes.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

A quick update on my situation. Yamaha Motor Corp confirmed that they did install my shift rod incorrectly via their technical staff. I've asked to have a local dealer fix it due to the distance and the way my bike was treated at the original dealership that performed the recall.

Although everyone is nice at the corporate level, I've had just a terrible experience. Difficult to get a manager, and I've spent over 4 hours on the phone. I called at 4 today, they put me on hold for 45 minutes, only to tell me a manager would be available to speak today. I've had numerous calls into them, and unfortunately the gentleman that was helping me has gone on a 35 day vacation. I'll update you if I have any updates regarding them correcting my shift rod.

• Premium Member
Just gonna kick my experience in real quick... I took ownership today on my new FJ.

I noticed VIN ending in 0116, so I asked about the recall. I saw the blue dot on the shifter.
Service manager confirmed they had done it a few days before. 

2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

So if anyone is following my story, I took my bike back to the dealer to have them fix the shift rod and all seems to be well. He mentioned he had the rod upside or backwards... Says it didn't damage anything and hoping it didn't. I haven't testing the movement/spinning of the rear tire to see if it's change. I'll test and let you know if I find anything.

Soo..I bought my FJ from the dealer last Saturday. Stopped back in on Monday to pick up some oil filters and talked to the sales guy. I mentioned the recall, he said they had to do that before they sell them so mine had been taken care of. Got a call today from a service guy telling me I needed to bring it in for the recall.....wtf!?! So now I just wasted time & money changing the oil and now have to make time to get it back over there! The recall notice says it's a violation of Yamaha policy for your dealership to deliver any effected motorcycle to customers until the procedures in the bulletin are performed. Think I should be compensated?

Soo..I bought my FJ from the dealer last Saturday. Stopped back in on Monday to pick up some oil filters and talked to the sales guy. I mentioned the recall, he said they had to do that before they sell them so mine had been taken care of. Got a call today from a service guy telling me I needed to bring it in for the recall.....wtf!?! So now I just wasted time & money changing the oil and now have to make time to get it back over there! The recall notice says it's a violation of Yamaha policy for your dealership to deliver any effected motorcycle to customers until the procedures in the bulletin are performed. Think I should be compensated?
Lucky you, I bought the bike Saturday and haven't taken possession.  They just told me today that the recall parts are on back-order.  I am definitely having a conversation with a manager. 

Lucky you, I bought the bike Saturday and haven't taken possession.  They just told me today that the recall parts are on back-order.  I am definitely having a conversation with a manager. 

Idk about being lucky, I'd have rather them replaced the part to begin with than risk damage and the time associated with hauling the bike back and forth.

Just a quick tip to the milkman and goldfish.

I don't know if this is entirely true, but Yamaha shows the part on back-order so people that have purchased the bike have priority, vs dealers taking up the parts by fixing their inventory on the sales floor. I called Yamaha Corporate and had one immediately. So if they say it's back-ordered, tell them to call Yamaha or you do ti yourself.

Archived