Intent to recall FJ09 March 25, 2015

• Premium Member
Soo..I bought my FJ from the dealer last Saturday. Stopped back in on Monday to pick up some oil filters and talked to the sales guy. I mentioned the recall, he said they had to do that before they sell them so mine had been taken care of. Got a call today from a service guy telling me I needed to bring it in for the recall.....wtf!?! So now I just wasted time & money changing the oil and now have to make time to get it back over there! The recall notice says it's a violation of Yamaha policy for your dealership to deliver any effected motorcycle to customers until the procedures in the bulletin are performed. Think I should be compensated?
How is it wasted time and money changing the oil? You won't have to change it again due to the recall. Very little, if any, oil is lost when changing the shift shaft. Also, you know your bike has the new shaft by finding the little blue dot on the shifter side.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lucky you, I bought the bike Saturday and haven't taken possession.  They just told me today that the recall parts are on back-order.  I am definitely having a conversation with a manager. 

Your dealer will have to call Yamaha to have the recall kit released.  In the parts screen it shows back order but a phone call will solve the problem.

As far as my excessive rear wheel spinning (intermittent fault) turns out I'm to blame. I was changing out levers to decide what one I wanted to keep and neglected to put the bushing in the last time so that caused my spinning. All gone now.

Soo..I bought my FJ from the dealer last Saturday. Stopped back in on Monday to pick up some oil filters and talked to the sales guy. I mentioned the recall, he said they had to do that before they sell them so mine had been taken care of. Got a call today from a service guy telling me I needed to bring it in for the recall.....wtf!?! So now I just wasted time & money changing the oil and now have to make time to get it back over there! The recall notice says it's a violation of Yamaha policy for your dealership to deliver any effected motorcycle to customers until the procedures in the bulletin are performed. Think I should be compensated?
While I agree the dealer is definitely in error, I don't think you can (or should) get any compensation. The oil is not a waste of time or money because it doesn't need to be dropped out - per Yamaha, the repair is done on the side stand, and there is very minimal oil loss. I didn't believe it either until I watched them do it. I went through this, too - did my first change two days before getting my recall appointment request. No harm, no foul, just waited an hour for it in the dealership. 
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

While I agree the dealer is definitely in error, I don't think you can (or should) get any compensation. The oil is not a waste of time or money because it doesn't need to be dropped out - per Yamaha, the repair is done on the side stand, and there is very minimal oil loss. I didn't believe it either until I watched them do it. I went through this, too - did my first change two days before getting my recall appointment request. No harm, no foul, just waited an hour

Cool. I assumed the oil had to be dumped when I first heard about it. It was a relatively painless experience once we got the ball rolling.

• 3 weeks later...
Not that impressed with Yamaha USA/Dealer Network at this point.

Started out with the side cases ordered back in March. If I hadn't called corporate customer relations and complied in June that I had still not received all the parts I ordered in March and they were still looking like late July delivery, I would never have had the brackets shipped to the dealer I ordered them from so they could get them to me sometime this year...

Then comes the recall and getting it taken care of. Understand the whole "back ordered" status in the Yamaha system and it's there to control parts getting delivered based on VIN and not allowing individual dealers to order large qty's and stock pile them. Good on Yamaha for doing that.

However, when I ordered the parts for my FJ and my wives FZ back on June 23rd, I was thinking I would have it fixed sooner then later. It's now July 9th and the dealer has no insight into where the parts are? Another call to Yamaha Corp to find out what the hold up is. Will see what comes of it this time around. I would say it's the dealer, but this is the second dealer (in two parts of the country) both having issues with Yamaha supply chain.

Not that impressed with Yamaha USA/Dealer Network at this point. 
Started out with the side cases ordered back in March. If I hadn't called corporate customer relations and complied in June that I had still not received all the parts I ordered in March and they were still looking like late July delivery, I would never have had the brackets shipped to the dealer I ordered them from so they could get them to me sometime this year...

Then comes the recall and getting it taken care of. Understand the whole "back ordered" status in the Yamaha system and it's there to control parts getting delivered based on VIN and not allowing individual dealers to order large qty's and stock pile them. Good on Yamaha for doing that.

However, when I ordered the parts for my FJ and my wives FZ back on June 23rd, I was thinking I would have it fixed sooner then later. It's now July 9th and the dealer has no insight into where the parts are? Another call to Yamaha Corp to find out what the hold up is. Will see what comes of it this time around. I would say it's the dealer, but this is the second dealer (in two parts of the country) both having issues with Yamaha supply chain.

I had the same problems. Its weird when I call yamahausa it seems that with in two to three days I get what had been on ordered for months. This worked the same with the recall as well.

Chas,  It's not the dealer.  It's Yamaha.  They just don't deliver the parts/accessories in a timely manner.  It's a national complaint.  I find it interesting that you say calling corporate gets stuff sent out for you.  I suspect you are actually stealing someone else order, but can't blame you for trying that route.  Anyway,  don't blame your dealer.  He's just having do deal with the factory every day and, as a practical mater,  can't make each part order a special case.

Well got call back from Yamaha USA yesterday. They are saying that the parts won't be available till mid september for my bike? What? How could they be so incompetent with their supply chain? At this point they need to not worry about building new bikes and providing their already paid customers the parts they screwed up on... Funny thing is my wife's FZ-09 should have the parts at the dealer now (need to call and check). Ordered her's and mine on the same day (June 23rd). She gets hers and mine won't be ready for 3 months past when I ordered it? For a Recall, where we are not supposed to actually ride the bike till it's fixed?

If I didn't like the bike so much I would be upset.

So has anyone actually heard a report of a catastrophic failure on the shifter part?

And what are the scenarios that will cause the failure to happen? The recall doesn't really provide much detail on the actual issue and haven't really found much on it on the information super highway?

• Premium Member
Well got call back from Yamaha USA yesterday. They are saying that the parts won't be available till mid september for my bike? What? How could they be so incompetent with their supply chain? At this point they need to not worry about building new bikes and providing their already paid customers the parts they screwed up on... Funny thing is my wife's FZ-09 should have the parts at the dealer now (need to call and check). Ordered her's and mine on the same day (June 23rd). She gets hers and mine won't be ready for 3 months past when I ordered it? For a Recall, where we are not supposed to actually ride the bike till it's fixed? 
If I didn't like the bike so much I would be upset.

So has anyone actually heard a report of a catastrophic failure on the shifter part?

And what are the scenarios that will cause the failure to happen? The recall doesn't really provide much detail on the actual issue and haven't really found much on it on the information super highway?
I didn't worry riding mine until the recall was done. See if the shifting is notchy or missing shifts. Otherwise, I (my opinion here) would still ride it, just be careful with clutchless upshifts just incase. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I rode mine until the recall was done along with the first service.
But someone in an earlier post put it somewhat like this. The chances your bike will have a failure is very very small. But someone's bike will indeed have this part failure. Of course upon re-reading this last statement it is totally not reassuring.

Just had mine done. Local dealer was super easy to deal with. Kyle at Greater Yamaha looked at my Vin, ordered a kit and held it for me for 3 weeks till I was finally able to get the bike in. Actually has noticibly smoother shifting now.

• Premium Member
Anyone have their recall done performed yet?
Any differences noted in performance?

######################

On March 25, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issued a recall notice for six 2015 Yamaha models that may have been manufactured with a shift cam segment stopper than can crack and cause shifting difficulties that may lead to a crash: The details:

Report Receipt Date: March 25, 2015

NHTSA Campaign Number: 15V176000

Component(s): Powertrain

Potential Number of Units Affected: 4,900

Manufacturer: Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA

The Recall: Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA (Yamaha) is recalling certain model year 2015 FJ-09 (FJ09F/FC), FZ-09 (FZ09F/FC), FZ6R (FZ6RF/FC), Super Ténéré (XTZ12F/FC), Super Ténéré ES (XTZ12EF/EFC), and R6 (YZF-R6) motorcycles manufactured from September 1, 2014 to November 17, 2014. The affected motorcycles may have an incorrectly manufactured shift cam segment stopper, having a sharp edge on the inside of the bend instead of a smooth radius. As a result, the stopper can crack and possibly fracture at this sharp edge.

What could happen: If the stopper fractures, the transmission may not shift properly, increasing the risk of a crash.

The Fix: Yamaha will notify owners, and dealers will replace the shift shaft assembly with a new one, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in April 2015. Owners may contact Yamaha customer service at 1-800-962-7926.

More Recall Information: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go tosafercar.gov.

• Premium Member
Had my recall performed along with my 600 (actually 900) hundred mile service.  Took longer for my local dealer to get the part in house than it did to do both services.  Pretty happy with the work overall, not sure I can feel any difference in shifting.

Archived