Intent to recall FJ09 March 25, 2015

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ULEWZ, did you notice the shifting's much better?
My shifing isn't any different.  Not better, not worse, but the engine did develop a terrible squeaking sound that I am going to take back and have examined.
Aarrgh. Gotta be frustrating. It's a fairly straightforward repair...
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

The biggest thing I noticed was how much they had adjusted my clutch by! has to be near all the way out now before it engages which I find makes it slower off the lights! as I am letting it out and looking for the biting point. Maybe the mechanics preferance that way but I liked it how it was!

• Premium Member
The biggest thing I noticed was how much they had adjusted my clutch by! has to be near all the way out now before it engages which I find makes it slower off the lights! as I am letting it out and looking for the biting point. Maybe the mechanics preferance that way but I liked it how it was!
They may be doing that on purpose to compensate for wear over time.  It's easy enough to adjust yourself, though, if it really bothers you. 
Another approach is to get an adjustable lever, making it easy to get exactly the reach you want.  Since the FJ shares the same levers as many other Yamaha bikes there are a lot of choices.  I'm using CRG adjustable folding levers:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/crg-folding-roll-a-click-clutch-lever-yamaha

A little pricey at $116, and of course I got the brake lever too, although that's a splurge since it was already adjustable.  I find them to be very comfortable and easy to adjust reach on-the-fly if I've decided that for today's ride I want a little more or less reach.

My understanding is that you can get some decent adjustable Chinese levers on eBay for next to nothing if you're really price conscious.  There are links elsewhere on the site with commentary from satisfied customers.  While not quite as fancy as the CRG levers (for instance, they're breakaway rather than folding) they otherwise look like decent kit.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Had the Recall repair performed last Saturday . I cant tell the difference in shift feel and I have just over 5000 miles on the bike , so i am pretty used to it . When I picked the bike up from the dealer the Tech told me he could not tell the difference from the old part to the new one by just giving it a quick look .

That's.... comforting. :-/
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

I didn't notice any change in shifting performance from the recall. The "sharp edge" which was a potential failure point is very subtle at best. That is why when looking it appears nothing is wrong with the original part, compared to the new part.
What I do notice, is that now that I have almost 1000km on the bike, the shifting is getting smoother, very snick snick type feel and sound. I like it a lot.

Guest bmidd
bmidd, how do the Q3's compare to the stock Q2's?
The stock tires are Dunlop D222 Roadsmart II's not Q2's. The Q3 is quite a bit softer and grips better than the stock tire, consequently I usually only get about 2500 miles out of a set of Q2/3's. I don't do any touring and this bike is basically an upright sportbike for me, I crushed a couple vertebrae last year in a car wreck and can't bear the hunched over riding position any more. 
To answer your question about the stock tire, I don't like the way they feel at lean carrying speed. They feel a bit vague when hustling and I'm used to feeling the front end versus hoping it does what I want. At 6/10 or 7/10 the stock tires are fine, but sometimes I will push it a bit more and enjoy the peace of mind I get from the SS rubber. I will also try the Pilot Power 3's after this set, I get close to 3000 out of a set of PP3's on the street. 

• Premium Member
Just had my recall service done. I got my recall notice on April 13th, had to wait until the next day to call the service dept. because of course they are closed on Mondays. Parts ordered the 14th. Parts came in the 22nd. Appointment set for the 28th. They said they had to keep it overnight so the engine could cool down, but I didn't ride it there. I took it on a trailer. But they still wouldn't do it while I waited due to numerous "projects" going on. Went back today the 29th to pick it up. I feel a slight difference in the shifting, but nothing to brag about. Oh well, at least it is done, and I don't have to wait until June like Yamaha keeps saying.

Well... I checked again and now my bike is now listed as affected on yamaha-motor.eu so it seems Germany has initiated recalls as well.

Edit: But I have yet to receive any notice from the dealer or by mail.

Archived