Intent to recall FJ09 March 25, 2015

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hats off to my local dealer, Waldoch Sports in Forest Lake, MN. The FJ-09 is the only bike I have bought from this dealer, so I have no prior relationship with them, but here's how it all went down for me:
I received a voicemail on Friday alerting me that the parts were in. I called them back on Sat, and arranged to show up today (Monday), around noon. The dealer loaned me a 1987 Kawasaki full-boat bagger touring bike they had just taken in on trade, so I could ride while they worked on my bike. I probably put about 50-60 miles on that wallowing beast, then rode back to the dealer just in time to see they had finished my warranty repairs. I'm about 90 miles in, and loving the bike.

Here's a picture of my bad part.  The bend at the top left under the spring is supposed to be different.RtyX18j.jpg
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

So, Intent to recall sent out in the US 20 days ago and now my bike is done. All in all, good job Yamaha. A good tech could knock the job out in 40 minutes or so, after having done it before. Took me about 2 1/2 house but I wasn't hard at work and accomplished the 600 mile service at the same time.

My bike is right in the middle of the US recall range. I wasn't very impressed with the clutch action at mile 1 and it had steadily gotten worse. Instead of clicking into gear it mushed into gear. That was the complaint I had my dealer file as a warranty claim to get my kit released as I wasn't going to wait until June for them to be off backorder (again, this is Yamaha USA). Yamaha USA told the service manger that this would solve the issues I had.

And it did. There is no vagueness when I go for a gear, a nice click. Neutral is easy to find and I'm...quite happy. So now I start the "Ohlins front and back" fund and may even see about getting a 19" wheel for the front.

My dealer here in TX "we do not order recall parts because a lot of people get their bike repaired elsewhere"  What? I guess I will need to call Yamaha in Ca.?

That is very odd.  If it was a manager that told you that, I would find a new store.  If it wasn't, I'd call as ask for the service manager and see if that person wants your business.  They don't have to buy the parts and Yamaha pays them to do the work.  It's a win for a service department.  With that said I have no idea why they wouldn't want to take care of you.

Hi,

Just booked mine Tracer in for this fix for Monday.
Anyone have any details of the process for this fix.
The tech guy wasnt very forth coming..
Saying they had read manuals but not actually performed this fix as of yet....

Shift linkage removed from shift shaft, left side of bike.

Work done on side stand so no oil loss when clutch cover removed.

Shift cable disconnected, clutch cover removed.

Oil pump sprocket removed.

Clutch removed.

Shift shaft held in by spring, removed and remove shift shaft.

Install new shift shaft, reinstall clutch, oil pump sprocket, cover, cable, shift linkage.

Done.

Thank you,

I ask as in an very early post i mentioned a harshness coming from the clutch here released and in neutral with the engine running.  
This have been getting worse with riding so hopefully they can examine the clutch basket when performing this for any malfunctions as well.
This harshness and grinding noise is now noticeable when riding with the gearbox engaged.

Thanks

aR2lRHR.jpg

Most of the work done on this side.

IdFPYJe.jpg

Pointing to the problem, behind the clutch.

olTN1Cd.jpg

Removing clutch basket.

pTckyOb.jpg

Shift shaft out.

xQ5px82.jpg

See the wear marks?  Shouldn't be there.

qkdqvbz.jpg

New shift shaft installed.

j8fVFCZ.jpg

Clutch plats, basket, etc.

VZXweED.jpg

Blue dot on the end.  Job done.  Shifts wonderfully now.

Archived