Intent to recall FJ09 March 25, 2015

So, since it hit in Canada first, should we assume the fault was reported in Canada? A member posted earlier about a terrible shifting problem upon delivery.

My bike is affected, parts are on order.

I've been underwhelmed by the shift action from the start. I expected more, from experience, from a Yamaha gear box.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
So, since it hit in Canada first, should we assume the fault was reported in Canada? A member posted earlier about a terrible shifting problem upon delivery.
You'd really have to see Yamaha's internal documentation to know who reported it first. 
The timing of the recalls is probably more indicative of the responsiveness of the government entities involved than anything else.  I have no problem believing that Canadian authorities are more responsive than their US brethren, for instance.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Saw My dealer this morning and had him check My VIN with Yamaha to see if My bike had been approved for the recall, it had and he said he would order My parts today. I have told anybody who ask about My new bike that I really like it except for the notch transmission, it seems to change gears alright (have never missed a shift) but is rough and makes lots more noise than any Honda I've owned. Has anybody who has had their recall done noticed any differences in the shifting action being any smoother? 

Anybody in Southern California heard from their dealer yet?  I called mine today (Palm Springs)and the looked up my vin number and yes, my bike is affected.  They looked up the parts situation and told me that their computer said the parts would be available in June!  She didn't say a thing about not riding it and told me they would call me when the part comes in.  I'm not especially worried but still they didn't sound as though they had as much information as I have just from reading this board (love this forum, by the way!) 

I'm guessing they will hear from Yamaha sooner than later that the parts will be in much sooner than she told me, at least I hope so.  There is no way that bike is sitting in my garage until June!

• Premium Member
Anybody in Southern California heard from their dealer yet?  I called mine today (Palm Springs)and the looked up my vin number and yes, my bike is affected.  They looked up the parts situation and told me that their computer said the parts would be available in June!
I think there must be some mistake.  My dealer checked yesterday when ordering my parts and said they were plentiful.  I'm in Massachusetts, but I have to believe that they could get them if they tried. 

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Took my FJ into Westfield Motorsports today for 600mile service and recall. They have the parts in stock. Service guy said that he had heard that the shifting linkage shaft was not tempered properly. Could bend or break. Anyway, getting it all done this week. Picking up this weekend.

I have an appointment Friday and they said parts will be in Thursday but I will call first because they told me if they have it in there place they have to keep it until work is done and wouldn't be able to release the bike to me until work is done.

• Premium Member
i joggled my dealer's elbow this afternoon. He's ordering the part(s) needed, and expects them in by this Friday or the following Monday.

He did initially ask, "Recall? What recall?"

Hopefully I won't break down in the wilds of Arizona in the meantime...
Don't follow. Don't lead. Don't join.

Picked my bike up last night and asked my dealer about this, he had heard nothing of it, Hopefully not affecting UK bikes! (or maybe just like films and the bike itself!- we get it 3 months after USA!)

Sorry but UK bikes have the same fault

I live in UK and have had a recall letter

Made an appointment for next week at Pro Caliber in Vancouver, WA to have the shifter recall made.  I also got a ding in the front left fork that caused the seal to fail for which I was really making the appointment for, and asked about the shifter recall.  He said it was brand new as he had checked the site yesterday and it wasn't there.  Also, they weren't aware of this recall.   Believe it or not, Yamaha is covering the fork seal too.  Ya.  :)

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Archived