Intent to recall FJ09 March 25, 2015

I have not received a letter from Yamaha, assuming life is good and I don't interwebs I am blissfully riding Arkansas and Colorado as planned. If I lock up and fly off some mountain or smack a tree you all have my permission to litigate on my behalf.
Get yourselvs something nice with the cash.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My bike is done. Picked it up this afternoon in Victoria. Yamaha Canada seems to be quick on the draw. My dealer had recall kits the day after they ordered them from Toronto.

FYI - the instructions say that it is recommended that you don't ride. Probably for safety/legal reasons. If they were really concerned I figure that warning would have used much stricter wording.

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
That's interesting, aussietracer! How did you ascertain this, please? As recently as less than a week ago one dealer I spoke to here had no info at all, didn't even know it had become an issue.
I have tried to register on Yamaha's (Oz) site to receive their 'Hot News' e-mails, without success. They seem to be pretty disorganised and unprofessional Down Here!

L of S

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Thanks, Steve. I have certainly considered the new BMW S1000 XR (sight unseen as yet of course), and am still very interested in it. I like its appearance and styling, and its supposed GS-like ergos, ideal for my ageing body!   It would  suit my distance-touring preferences very well, I'm sure. 
Interestingly, both it and the FJ come from a preceding sports version of the bike: MT-09 in Yamaha's case, and S1000 R for BMW. Do great minds think alike?
I was told by my local BMW dealer some three or so weeks ago that XR deliveries were to start in May, but a mate in Japan who's close to BMW has told me since then that delays now indicate it will be June/ July - not that it matters too much to me, as I am still 'retired hurt!'
I'm a long-time BMW rider - 4 x R1200 Rs, 3 x R1200 GSs, and one short-lived F800 GT. The boxer twins are great machines, utterly reliable, comfortable, frugal on fuel, bloody expensive but retaining value if looked after.
The thing that attracts me with the Tracer is its apparent great value-for-money, about $15,800 or thereabouts on the road; I'll bet a similarly-equipped XR will be closer to $24,000, if not more. Sure, you get what you pay for, and I've no doubt the XR will be a very refined machine in every sense, but...
I'm looking forward to the delayed Tracer test-ride this coming week, if the rain lets up!
L of S [em]('39 model)[/em][em]Brisbane, [/em][em]Queensland, [/em][em]Australia[/em]

• Premium Member
If Yamaha Australia is anything like their UK sibling then the dealers will not hear before it becomes common knowledge elsewhere. I was giving my local dealer updates on the availability of accessories and they claim they are not aware of any recall too.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
oh good, another list of serial nos. that does not include my UK model although the lists seem to be country specific
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

So, dropped by my dealer yesterday, as soon as the service guy saw me he told me about the recall and that my bike is affected! He had already ordered parts, for my bike as well as others, and I am booked in for late next week! I am glad to see Yamaha taking quick action on this thing.

Recalls happen, it's how the company handles it that is the key! So far I am happy with the action from Yamaha and my dealer!

Interestingly, I'm supposed to go pick up my new bike this evening. A friend at another Yamaha dealer informed me that Yamaha has issued a "stop sale" on the FJ-09 regarding this recall, but my purchasing dealer has said nothing about it, and has ensured me that I will be able to leave on the bike this evening.. I'm curious what will happen when I show up tonight to pick up the bike.
'15 FJ-09
Red is the fastest color!

Prototype Parabellum screens
Shogun sliders
SC seats
Radiator screen

My guess is the repair will require replacement of the shaft labeled as item #8 in this parts diagram:

http://www.yamahapart.com/oemparts/a/yam/546a26d5f87002164cb28053/shift-shaft

along with oil seal #5, "clutch cover" gasket, and a few other parts. Several hours of labor at least.

It's likely the dealer will try to recover some of their cost by selling you an oil & filter change at full list price.

Paul

• Premium Member
My guess is the repair will require replacement of the shaft labeled as item #8 in this parts diagram: 
http://www.yamahapart.com/oemparts/a/yam/546a26d5f87002164cb28053/shift-shaft

along with oil seal #5, "clutch cover" gasket, and a few other parts. Several hours of labor at least.

It's likely the dealer will try to recover some of their cost by selling you an oil & filter change at full list price.

Paul
If you read up a bit in this thread and the other one here you will see that Yamaha provide a kit containing a sub-assembly and have timed the job to take 90 minutes. Part no. 11 has been identified as the faulty component.  
It makes sense to build a sub-assembly, probably at the cost of the original supplier, to cut down workshop time at the dealer.

I'm not sure how it works elsewhere, but in the UK, this job will not cost the customer anything and the dealer will recover their cost from Yamaha UK. 

A Canadian owner has already had the work completed and he reported the dealer took 2 hours, but their subsequent ones are likely to be much quicker now they are familiar with the job.

So, your cynical speculation is rather wide of the mark, and unnecessary as the answers are already in the 2 threads on this board. 

Archived