Intent to recall FJ09 March 25, 2015

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Now that I'm in limbo on my FJ purchase until the recall work is done, I'm hoping this thread can be a good place to deposit any information anyone has on how long it will take / has taken to get the recall work done.  As of right now my dealer has no idea, and I don't know if that means I'll be waiting a few days or if it will be weeks.

I'll go crazy if I can't take the thing home for weeks.

So, any of you in the know, what kind of timeframe are we looking at?
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Mine has been recalled too :( BOOOH... The dealer just called me. 
7 km and already a recall...

Thats reliability ! ;)
I'm actually impressed with the speed of which they issued this recall. Keep in mind that this shift shaft isn't a new design, as it's been used in the FZ-09 for well over a year. It seems that they simply got a bad batch from production. It could be worse. 
BMW Recalls 49,000 units
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Maybe call and ask the parts manager if he has any information. I would think that would be the biggest delay.
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

• Premium Member
Maybe call and ask the parts manager if he has any information. I would think that would be the biggest delay.
I've already got a standing request in for them to drop me a note as soon as they have an ETA.  Seeing as I knew about the recall before they did, though, I'm thinking I might hear about parts showing up here first. 
I've never been involved with a recall this early before and have no idea how responsive Yamaha is likely to be.  I really wish I at least knew if it would be days or weeks.

I have some friends who were part of the BMW recall last year where they told them they couldn't ride their bikes for months.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

I called my dealer today. After "informing" the service rep, she looked it up using my VIN and it is indeed affected. She placed an order for the recall parts kit and said I will be informed if they are on backorder. Canadian bike btw.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

I called my dealer today. After "informing" the service rep, she looked it up using my VIN and it is indeed affected. She placed an order for the recall parts kit and said I will be informed if they are on backorder. Canadian bike btw.
I'll call my dealer tomorrow, I'm sure mine is recalled too (off by 41 from yours.) 
Edit: Yes, it is in the recall. Parts ordered, waiting for callback regarding arrival timing.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Being advised to not ride the bike is a big deal. Of course safety comes first. But a brand new bike and "Don't ride it as its probably, possibly, could be unsafe to do so".
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

Dropped by my dealer this morning (they've been closed for a few days). They hadn't heard about it yet, but when they looked up my VIN they saw the pending recall. Even though it's only pending, they still ordered 5 of the parts.

I'm booked in Thursday AM to get the work done. The parts are in stock in Toronto, and having them air freighted to Victoria should only take two days.

I called yamaha and they told me to call my dealer. Called my dealer and they said "yeah we got the notice but we can't get any of the parts we need yet. so you could bring it down, but I'd just be staring at the damn thing." Should I park it or can I continue to ride it? "use your discretion." Guess I'm riding it. Also, if or when they give an official notice for recall does the bike get the shift shaft assembly replaced free of charge?

I called yamaha and they told me to call my dealer. Called my dealer and they said "yeah we got the notice but we can't get any of the parts we need yet. so you could bring it down, but I'd just be staring at the damn thing." Should I park it or can I continue to ride it? "use your discretion." Guess I'm riding it. Also, if or when they give an official notice for recall does the bike get the shift shaft assembly replaced free of charge?
Sounds like dealer BS. My dealer immediately ordered a bunch of parts as soon as they found out, and they will take two days to receive. This is Canada, so maybe other countries don't have the parts yet?

My dealer said there's NOT an official repair procedure released from Yamaha yet - so any parts that are ordered are a guess on the dealer's part.

Maybe the bulletin/repair procedure was released in Canada already?

BTW- don't assume the entire shift shaft is getting replaced. Based on the wording of the "intent to recall " notice that was posted - nothing was mentioned about a shift shaft failure.

-skip

I just talked to my dealer in Calgary who saw the Yamaha notice in his email and did some further digging. When they called back they indicated that the required parts are ordered and they have me scheduled in next week for the repairs.

Archived