Intent to recall FJ09 March 25, 2015

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Yep, when I tour I take it all............Satellite radio, GPS, coffee pot with stove, snacks, computer, flip flops, jogging shoes, tools, first aid kit, water, rain gear, several pairs of gloves............you get the idea. That luggage case is the perfect back rest for me. 

is there camping gear in there or do you use hotels. If the latter, my mind is boggled...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Is there a difference between the fj-09F / fj-09FC and the fj-09FGY? Or is the FGY designation just cause mine is gray. 
You (and I) have a non-california US 2015 FJ-09 Gray - FJ-09F and then the color identifier GY.   
FJ-09F is 49 State US bike, FJ-09FC is California spec, US bike.

THANKS for this thread.  I just spoke to my dealer and was told DO NOT RIDE THE BIKE -IT MAY CAUSE A CRASH!  They have not yet issued the recall and the parts are not yet available.  I now have a very expensive paperweight. >:D  One of the symptoms mentioned is difficulty shifting gears -  this was a thread I started.  This thread may have saved me from being reassembled in reverse order of disassembly again...  ??? 

You're welcome Bobdog.  I'm retired from the powersports industry and I have friends still and I'm friendly with several stores in the area.  
My bike is affected and from my past experience going through a Yamaha recall on the US Road Star 1600, that I purchased used from a private party and after a few years I learned of the transmission recall.  Had it scheduled, in and out no problem.  That required the motor to be torn down and completely rebuilt.  At the time the bike was approaching 55,000 miles and when I learned I'd get new bearings, seals and rings at no cost, I was okay with it.

This is far less intrusive and the service guys are thinking this will be a flat rate job at or around 0.7 hours.  No biggie. 

While I wouldn't say my bike is difficult to shift, I noticed immediately that it didn't feel like the Yamaha gearbox I was used to.  I'm curious to see if that opinion changes after the job is done.  

Cheers.

Tod ay 337mi of some of Calif best M/C roads ; hills are still Green. From the Coast (pismo beach) E on hwy 58 - 33 taft - 166 - Hudson Ranch rd to Pine Mnt - lockwood Valley -33-166 back to the Coast! The FJ was up to the Pace!!!! Love those MNT back roads

• Premium Member
Tod ay 337mi of some of Calif best M/C roads ; hills are still Green. From the Coast (pismo beach) E on hwy 58 - 33 taft - 166 - Hudson Ranch rd to Pine Mnt - lockwood Valley -33-166 back to the Coast! The FJ was up to the Pace!!!! Love those MNT back roads
I'm jealous.  That's exactly the loop I did at the end of last summer.  I really like 58, except for the really flat part, although the solar farm out there is mind bogglingly large and that offers a bit of a distraction.  Plus that 90 degree right turn in the middle wakes you right up :-). 
You didn't go down 229/Rossie's Driveway?  I would have done an out and back, that road is a kick.  Where any normal road engineer would have graded that road flat, the genius that laid out that road followed the contours of the land -- and it's brilliant.

The one thing I missed when I was there which I am really bummed about was that I couldn't take 33 down to Ojai, as I had planned, I just didn't have the time.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Got this from my dealer this morning in Toronto:

We received a recall notice which includes your motorcycles. You may have received a recall notice from Yamaha already. Yamaha is initiating a Factory Modification Campaign. Affected units must have the shift shaft assembly replaced with a new one. Affected motorcycles should not be operated until they are modified.

Please contact us right away to set up an appointment for us to complete this recall. This is a safety recall so please do not operate the motorcycle until we complete the recall.

I wonder exactly which part  is to be replaced : 
http://www.portlandsportsplaza.com/oemparts/a/yam/546a26ccf87002164cb28022/shift-shaft

I'm guessing it's part number 4 or number 11 as the bulletin eluded to a stopper.  A $5 or $11 part.  Or there are two different stopper plates in the Shift Cam Fork assembly as well that cost even less.   
I'm hoping to do the moonshine lunch run on my new FJ assuming they can even sell it to me before the 11th.  http://moonshine-run.com/Moonshine/

• Premium Member
I wonder exactly which part  is to be replaced : 
http://www.portlandsportsplaza.com/oemparts/a/yam/546a26ccf87002164cb28022/shift-shaft

I'm guessing it's part number 4 or number 11 as the bulletin eluded to a stopper.  A $5 or $11 part.  Or there are two different stopper plates in the Shift Cam Fork assembly as well that cost even less.   
I'm hoping to do the moonshine lunch run on my new FJ assuming they can even sell it to me before the 11th.  http://moonshine-run.com/Moonshine/

Looks like the entire shift shaft assembly (8) is going to be replaced according to the paperwork in this thread. To include the stopper. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member

Looks like the entire shift shaft assembly (8) is going to be replaced according to the paperwork in this thread. To include the stopper.
It will be quicker for the workshop to replace the sub-assembly than fiddle about taking it apart. 
That sub-assembly will be assembled on piecework in a kitchen somewhere in China and cost Yamaha 45c
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived