Intent to recall FJ09 March 25, 2015

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Hi Steve.  
I have been been working through a cuppla wellbeing issues and using the time to research the bike thoroughly. I did have a test-ride scheduled for yesterday (Tuesday) but it has been bucketing down up here - overnight we had more than the average for a typical whole month of April!- and so I postponed it. The obliging dealer has said I can take the bike out for as long as I want, unaccompanied, after I'd told him that I'll use it predominantly for extended touring so a 'round-the-block' test-ride would be of no value to me.
There are plenty of the new bikes in dealerships up here: last Saturday one nearby store had a grey demo, and inside a new red and two more grey ones for sale.   I'll take a grey one, after initially thinking red - but it's not quite as attractive a red as I'd like.   And somehow the anthracite grey, black, and different surface treatments etc., suits the bike very well, IMHO and of course YMMV!   Also grey coordinates nicely with my riding gear - just gotta remove the BMW badges from two jackets...
I'll get Easter out of the way as the wet weather, with added storms, is forecast to persist until Easter Monday at least, then I'll get out on the bike, hopefully!
Cheers...
L of S

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This may have been one of the deciding factors of the intent to recall.
I will let you guys in on a little secret I have been holding on to. At the begining of March I went to pick up my new Fj 09 from the dealer. We went over everything on the bike. Before I signed the final paperwork the mileage was checked it showed .1, not even a mile on it.
So, I let the bike warm up and drive out of the driveway about 50 feet and the bike starts to violently shake like a bucking horse. O crap something is wrong. I pull the clutch and it goes away. Thought to myself maybe it was just a bearing working its way through the grease. Let the clutch out give it some throttle and again but worse. Damn it. Got her turned around and took it back. Still not even a mile. The tech came out took it for a spin.. same thing. After about an hour they sent me home bikeless and would call me when the found the problem.Two days went by and nothing so I ask for a new bike and they said no problem. No problems so far with this one.
Well not saying this is what cause the intent for a recall but it sure sounds like this could of been the problem with that bike.

Hi Steve.   I have been been working through a cuppla wellbeing issues and using the time to research the bike thoroughly. I did have a test-ride scheduled for yesterday (Tuesday) but it has been bucketing down up here - overnight we had more than the average for a typical whole month of April!- and so I postponed it. The obliging dealer has said I can take the bike out for as long as I want, unaccompanied, after I'd told him that I'll use it predominantly for extended touring so a 'round-the-block' test-ride would be of no value to me.
There are plenty of the new bikes in dealerships up here: last Saturday one nearby store had a grey demo, and inside a new red and two more grey ones for sale.   I'll take a grey one, after initially thinking red - but it's not quite as attractive a red as I'd like.   And somehow the anthracite grey, black, and different surface treatments etc., suits the bike very well, IMHO and of course YMMV!   Also grey coordinates nicely with my riding gear - just gotta remove the BMW badges from two jackets...
I'll get Easter out of the way as the wet weather, with added storms, is forecast to persist until Easter Monday at least, then I'll get out on the bike, hopefully!
Cheers...
L of S

Thanks L of S,
I re- read the Aussie Tracer thread and noticed you indeed thought about the red colour.
I agree that the grey does stand out a bit more and, I've never actually had a grey bike before!
Can I also ask if you are a looking in to the soon to be released in Aus....BMW S1000XR?
I must say I also did. I've had a BMW before for the first time in my life, and I must say it was the best brand experience I've had to date. But, I paid for it too.

Sort out those personal issues and get back to riding buddy. It's therapeutic for body and soul.
No matter which brand.

Cheers,
Steve

I was just at my Yamaha dealer and they showed me the Canadian recall letter they received this morning for the FZ and FJ 09's.  I'm not sure if this only for Canada, but suspect it would be for all countries.   They said the recall is to do with the Transmission shift cam.  I booked myself in right away as they said parts are already becoming an issue.  

So, I would suggest contacting your dealer to confirm this in your region, don't wait for the recall letter to arrive.  

• Premium Member
Dealer just called, parts are in, my bike will be there at 8AM tomorrow. *wipes hands, walks away*
I hate you. 
Even if you're a continent away and in a different country and those parts couldn't ever possibly have been mine, I hate you.

You should learn to live with my derision and have a really good time on the bike though. :-)
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Dealer just called, parts are in, my bike will be there at 8AM tomorrow. *wipes hands, walks away*
I hate you. 
Even if you're a continent away and in a different country and those parts couldn't ever possibly have been mine, I hate you.

You should learn to live with my derision and have a really good time on the bike though. :-)
Don't hate the player, hate the game. :D

My bike is in. Will have it back later today.

The box with the parts is about 12" x 15" x 3". It has the shift shaft, a gasket, and mounting hardware. Instructions say 1.5hr to do the work.

My dealer ordered 10 of the kits as soon as they found out about the recall and got them all in yesterday. My bike is the first, but my dealer has all experienced mechanics working there, so I'm not worried.

Archived