Intent to recall FJ09 March 25, 2015

• Premium Member
My bike is in. Will have it back later today.  
The box with the parts is about 12" x 15" x 3". It has the shift shaft, a gasket, and mounting hardware. Instructions say 1.5hr to do the work. 
Thanks for the information.  I'm glad to hear that the parts are being delivered already, it means that I might actually get my bike next week.  I'll have to ping the dealer later today if I don't hear anything from them. 

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Called my dealer (Canada) Tuesday morning. They looked it up, confirmed mine is recalled for the 'shift shaft assembly, for a new properly manufactured shift cam segment stopper.' He ordered the parts.
Today, two days later, the parts are in and I got my official Yamaha recall notice in the mail: "You are requested to avoid operating your motorcycle until this modification is performed."
Easter long weekend, so my FJ-09 goes in on Tuesday for the fix.
I'm happy with my dealer and Yamaha Canada.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• Premium Member
So far everyone who has reported that they got their recall work done, or for whom the parts have shown up, has been in Canada as far as I can tell. It might be that the parts are not yet available in the US. I've pinged my dealer again to see if they have any news. (Trying to cut the difference between finding out ASAP and annoying the hell out of them.)

I'm out of town for the next several days anyway, but I'd kind of like to hear "your bike will be ready this week" when I get back. I have a growing pile of parts sitting on the couch right now waiting for the bike to bolt them to.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

So far everyone who has reported that they got their recall work done, or for whom the parts have shown up, has been in Canada as far as I can tell. It might be that the parts are not yet available in the US.
It could be because:
- every bike in Canada is on the recall list, or- there just aren't that many bikes in Canada, or- a reward because we're all such nice friendly people, or- we recently suffered through typical Canada Winter PMS, or- all y'all just love to blame Canada!

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• Premium Member
So far everyone who has reported that they got their recall work done, or for whom the parts have shown up, has been in Canada as far as I can tell. It might be that the parts are not yet available in the US.
It could be because:
- every bike in Canada is on the recall list, or- there just aren't that many bikes in Canada, or- a reward because we're all such nice friendly people, or- we recently suffered through typical Canada Winter PMS, or- all y'all just love to blame Canada!

How does it go? 
Well, blame Canada, blame Canada
It seems that everything's gone wrong
Since Canada came along
Blame Canada, blame Canada
They're not even a real country anyway

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

It could be because:

Parts ship faster on ice.  
Coming from the guy in Victoria who hasn't seen any snow all year and who ate lunch on a patio in a tshirt haha

I called my dealer on central vancouver Island and he ordered the parts yesterday they are available in Toronto.
Another canadian bike recall. Maybe it has something to do with the availability of the bikes. it seemed like they were available early in Canada. I got mine more than 2 1/2 months ago. Anyways. I'll continue riding.

Another Canuck- My dealer in Winterpeg' says he already has the parts in stock when I inquired yesterday about the recall. Says our 2 bikes should be ready by early next week. Good thing, we were planning on picking them up next Saturday as its "supposedly" going to warm up by then. ( should be 12°c) I'm getting excited, the bikes are bought and paid for and I haven't even seen them yet as he had to order them in.

Here's hoping everybody else on here gets their parts and recall work done asap!

I called my dealer on central vancouver Island and he ordered the parts yesterday they are available in Toronto. Another canadian bike recall. Maybe it has something to do with the availability of the bikes. it seemed like they were available early in Canada. I got mine more than 2 1/2 months ago. Anyways. I'll continue riding.
How many km have you already racked up? Any shifting issues?
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

This was sent to me from my dealer.
Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2015-model FJ09F (“FJ-09”), FZ6RF (“FZ6R”), XTZ12F (“Super Ténéré”), XTZ12EF (“Super Ténéré ES”) and YZFR6F (“R6”) motorcycles. In affected motorcycles, the shift cam segment stopper on the transmission shift shaft was incorrectly manufactured with a sharp edge on the inside of its bend, rather than smooth radius. As a result, the stopper may crack at this sharp edge after continued operation due to fatigue caused by concentrated stress. In the worst case, the stopper may break, possibly preventing the transmission from shifting properly, which could result in a crash with injury or death.
To correct this problem, Yamaha is initiating a Factory Modification Campaign. Affected units must have the shift shaft assembly replaced with a new one that has a properly manufactured shift cam segment stopper.
You are requested to avoid operating your motorcycle until this modification is performed.

Archived