Intent to recall FJ09 March 25, 2015

So, Intent to recall sent out in the US 20 days ago and now my bike is done. All in all, good job Yamaha. A good tech could knock the job out in 40 minutes or so, after having done it before. Took me about 2 1/2 house but I wasn't hard at work and accomplished the 600 mile service at the same time.  
My bike is right in the middle of the US recall range. I wasn't very impressed with the clutch action at mile 1 and it had steadily gotten worse. Instead of clicking into gear it mushed into gear. That was the complaint I had my dealer file as a warranty claim to get my kit released as I wasn't going to wait until June for them to be off backorder (again, this is Yamaha USA). Yamaha USA told the service manger that this would solve the issues I had.

And it did. There is no vagueness when I go for a gear, a nice click. Neutral is easy to find and I'm...quite happy. So now I start the "Ohlins front and back" fund and may even see about getting a 19" wheel for the front.

You said you performed the 600 mile service as well. Did you find the throttle bodies out of sync? 

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, Intent to recall sent out in the US 20 days ago and now my bike is done. All in all, good job Yamaha. A good tech could knock the job out in 40 minutes or so, after having done it before. Took me about 2 1/2 house but I wasn't hard at work and accomplished the 600 mile service at the same time.  
My bike is right in the middle of the US recall range. I wasn't very impressed with the clutch action at mile 1 and it had steadily gotten worse. Instead of clicking into gear it mushed into gear. That was the complaint I had my dealer file as a warranty claim to get my kit released as I wasn't going to wait until June for them to be off backorder (again, this is Yamaha USA). Yamaha USA told the service manger that this would solve the issues I had.

And it did. There is no vagueness when I go for a gear, a nice click. Neutral is easy to find and I'm...quite happy. So now I start the "Ohlins front and back" fund and may even see about getting a 19" wheel for the front.

You said you performed the 600 mile service as well. Did you find the throttle bodies out of sync?

Mine were off quite a bit. I checked mine at 1000 miles.

-S

The recall has started in Europe, was told about it by a friend in Germany, am sure there will be other sources available soon. 
The link he gave me (original in German, via Google Translate) here

The VIN numbers affected are :

Yamaha MT-09 tracer (type RN29)

- JYARN29F000001080 to JYARN29F000002597

- JYARN29G000000522 to JYARN29G000001203

Can also check using your VIN on the Yamaha Motors EU website here

The list of numbers we were adding to in another thread suggests there could well be people affected by this. For some reason I have a pretty high number and escape it by 75!

Thank you Steve! I've got the F series 00002268 (within the range you listed). Still http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/services/modification-checker/index.aspx claims "Your vehicle with VIN ***0002268* is not in the affected range for any Factory Modification Campaign." Isn't it updated??

• Premium Member
I'm starting to worry that this forum will die after the recall is done, we don't seem to talk about much else!
I'm sure Yamaha has something else up its sleeve for us to gossip about. What about all these accessories on order with nominal delivery dates in July? Just imagine the traffic in autumn if the heated grips don't turn up! 
Then people's tyres will wear out.

Then there will be people moaning about the need for a 4000 mile service in the US when we can go for 6000 miles in Europe.

We haven't had a proper oil thread yet. Counter steering came earlier than expected. 

Just wait for the ATTGATT comments after the first shot from our friends in Southern Europe riding in shorts, flip flops and T shirt.

If you shared the millions you are making from the forum you might encourage more traffic. Look at the number of posts I make for free. Just imagine the bollocks I can write for some $. :P
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Cruizin, that won't happen as long as you guys keep finding us goodies and members keep talking about their rides.  Wessie found me a Fenda Extenda, got a radiator guard, put a dirt flap on to protect my shock, installed an Akrapovic titanium exhaust, looking at suspension components, EBC brake pads and an ECU reflash.  Where else am I going to find such a group of people that constantly improve their rides?
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

Isn't it updated??
I doesn't look like it, maybe ask your dealer or if you can contact Yamaha Norway.  Owners in the UK have received letters from Yamaha but their VIN is still showing as not affected on the website. I haven't received the letter, my VIN is outside the listed range, so I can presume that list is correct.

I'm starting to worry that this forum will die after the recall is done, we don't seem to talk about much else!
I'm sure Yamaha has something else up its sleeve for us to gossip about. What about all these accessories on order with nominal delivery dates in July? Just imagine the traffic in autumn if the heated grips don't turn up! 
Then people's tyres will wear out.

Then there will be people moaning about the need for a 4000 mile service in the US when we can go for 6000 miles in Europe.

We haven't had a proper oil thread yet. Counter steering came earlier than expected. 

Just wait for the ATTGATT comments after the first shot from our friends in Southern Europe riding in shorts, flip flops and T shirt.

If you shared the millions you are making from the forum you might encourage more traffic. Look at the number of posts I make for free. Just imagine the bollocks I can write for some $. :P

Millions? I wish. I'm honestly still paying out of pocket for this site, and the more that join the more it costs.

I need some more Supporting Vendors.

Good to see some pictures and details of the work to be done- its a bigger job than I thought.
Mine has started to need an extra blip on the throttle when changing down and a little bit harser changing up.
I must admit I put it down to chain adjustment till I read this, going to leave it until the work done in just over a week as 1st service being done at the same time.

Naaaa, spark plugs are due at 8,000 miles. They dont look easy to get to. :-/

Gotta have writeups, how to's, and what brand is best, and why does this bike need them that often!

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

Naaaa, spark plugs are due at 8,000 miles. They dont look easy to get to. :-/  
Gotta have writeups, how to's, and what brand is best, and why does this bike need them that often!

Ty

I wonder if higher compression engines eat plugs faster?  This motor has a fairly high compression ratio, so perhaps it is high combustion pressures that erode electrodes faster?  This is just a WAG though.

• Premium Member
Service intervals are more to do with cash - bike makers can get away with 4000 mile service intervals in USA as the customer will accept it, so they do it, generating revenue for dealers.

Try that in the UK car market, which is dominated by company fleet cars and you won't sell many cars. Fleet managers expect 20,000 mile service intervals so that's what the makers give them and oils, plugs etc are designed to last that long.

The biggest factor that makes me convinced the service intervals are based on cash more than anything else is that in Europe, we have the same bike with service intervals at 6000 miles for a minor service and 12,000 miles for a major service. Again, this is down to the customer expectations not what is mechanically necessary. In the 1990s Yamaha did have 4000 mile service intervals but BMW took many sales from the Japanese due to a poor exchange rate which made Japanese bikes expensive. One thing all of the Japanese makers did in a bid to compete was to extend their service intervals to match BMW.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I like changing my plugs to see the heat damage. It is heat that kills plugs. I like Champion plugs because they have more heat range options than any other plug maker and getting correct heat range plugs is more important than iridium and crap like that.

I agree on the service intervals. We Americans are big time suckers. PT Barnum came from the good ole USA, that's for sure.

Good to see some pictures and details of the work to be done- its a bigger job than I thought. Mine has started to need an extra blip on the throttle when changing down and a little bit harser changing up.
I must admit I put it down to chain adjustment till I read this, going to leave it until the work done in just over a week as 1st service being done at the same time.
It really isn't a big job, it's basic straight forward stuff that even a new school trained tech could do with confidence.  

I've said before that I found the shift action a bit of a disappointment when I took delivery and it had gotten worse.  

If you can, take a picture of the old shift shaft parts and compare the wear marks on yours to the one of mine I posted.  

Maybe some other folks could as well.  You know, for science.

Archived