Intent to recall FJ09 March 25, 2015

vespadaddy said: I wonder if higher compression engines eat plugs faster? This motor has a fairly high compression ratio, so perhaps it is high combustion pressures that erode electrodes faster? This is just a WAG though.

Possibly, especially if the combustion temperatures are high.  The tighter that emissions standards get, the leaner the bikes are being tuned from the factory and the hotter they run.

-Skip

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like Champion plugs because they have more heat range options than any other plug maker and getting correct heat range plugs is more important than iridium and crap like that.  

Cruizin - That's an interesting statement. So you don't feel that NGK plugs have heat range options? Because they do.

-Skip

I like changing my plugs to see the heat damage. It is heat that kills plugs. I like Champion plugs because they have more heat range options than any other plug maker and getting correct heat range plugs is more important than iridium and crap like that.  
I agree on the service intervals. We Americans are big time suckers. PT Barnum came from the good ole USA, that's for sure.

I put NKG Iridium plugs in the FJR and ran then for 25,000, three sets.  I am now putting the already used 25,000 plugs back in the FJR for another 25,000.  On my second set and it now has 55,000 and look just as good as they did at 25K.  Many ran the OEM plugs well past 25,000.  With the electronic ignition the plugs don't wear as much as they used to and last very long.  
We must revamp our thinking about oil, plugs, filters, break in, and other engine related maintenence issues as the new designs and tolerances are much better than they used to be.  Just like the amount of time they last.  Servicing shorter than 5K is a waste of money, as illustrated by the rest of the world not even thinking about an oil change in less than 6K.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

We must revamp our thinking about oil, plugs, filters, break in, and other engine related maintenence issues as the new designs and tolerances are much better than they used to be.  Just like the amount of time they last.  Servicing shorter than 5K is a waste of money, as illustrated by the rest of the world not even thinking about an oil change in less than 6K.

Good point.
The exception are people who don't put a lot of miles on their machines. In that case, dropping the fluids (including oils, antifreeze, brake fluid, and changing the gas) should be done on a timely basis to get rid of moisture. One reason Yamaha has a month/yearly recommendation listed alongside the mile recommendation.

-S

• Premium Member
booked in for the rework a week today, 24 April. Parts in stock - my dealer phoned at 9pm yesterday to let me know they had arrived!
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Had the Shift Shaft replaced yesterday.  Here is the scoop given to me by the mechanic.

4Bb18Gp.jpg

This recall should not cause the bike to shift better, unless that leg was already about to break off.  If your bike is shifting better after the fix, it is due to the adjustments made to the shifter lever adjustments and clutch adjustments made after installing the new part.  Thank the mechanic if it is better.  If it shifts worse, take it back or do some adjusting to get it right.  I have to adjust to get more toe space.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Had the Shift Shaft replaced yesterday.  Here is the scoop given to me by the mechanic. 
4Bb18Gp.jpg

This recall should not cause the bike to shift better, unless that leg was already about to break off.  If your bike is shifting better after the fix, it is due to the adjustments made to the shifter lever adjustments and clutch adjustments made after installing the new part.  Thank the mechanic if it is better.  If it shifts worse, take it back or do some adjusting to get it right.  I have to adjust to get more toe space.

Thanks for the info. I sure wish the fj would allow for GP shifting. It would make shifting alot easier.

I called my Dallas area dealer today and was informed that parts MAY be in by June. It's April 22nd. This is booshee !
Corporate advised all service peeps to suggest clients stop riding their NEW bikes. My service manager put the odds of seizing or permanent damage @ less than anything to stress about. That sharp edge MAY wear the drum over time and I'm sure wacky hooliganism with ones shifting could make it worse.

I have to ride. See ya down the road.

Yeah, they told me June too but then the recall kits just showed up at the dealer right in time for my 600 mile service last week.  Meantime I just kept riding, no problem.  I'm sure yours will show up much earlier than that too. 

Just talked to my dealer again today.  They got their parts after placing an order. They told me they didn't have to do anything different, yamaha shipped a portion of what they ordered even though they showed back ordered until June.  I don't know if this is truly the case as I did call Yamaha 2 weeks ago letting them know my dealer and i was requesting a  release of parts, and a service rep told me to have the dealer call their supplier.  I did inform the dealer to do so, whether or not they did i'm not sure (if they didn't thats kind of upsetting knowing they were just going to wait it out, but i'll give them benefit of the doubt).

Just got mine done, took about 2 hours because they said it was too hot internally to start right at appointment time, and that it should have been left overnight, not a wait. No time details given on my receipt, only 'WARRANTY' is listed. *shrug*
Anyway, it's done, and there's no question it's more positively clicking into each gear. The bike had just over 1,000 miles on it, so maybe that shaft was failing, but it's definitely a crisper shift now. Maybe it was the tech's adjustments to the linkage. I don't know - all I do know is that it's better than this morning.
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

• Premium Member
Mine gets done on Friday the 24th. Then I need to ride. clap_zpsdyza0r53.gif
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Archived