Intent to recall FJ09 March 25, 2015

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just wondering has anyone had any issues with their bike after the recall was done. Mine is going in tomorrow for the recall and 600 mile service. Curious because I used to own a new model VMAX they had a recall on the oil pump and several owners had motors seize up because the techs did not install the gear properly.

I wouldn't worry... it's really just a shaft that they pull out, and slide a new one in its place. Not major surgery or anything.
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

Here in south central Texas dealer just called saying parts are in................took awhile, appears Texas must be last in getting parts.
Seems to be the case, at least for me also. I'm in North Texas and was told about a month ago that the part was on back order, with no estimated shipping date. Last week the part came in for another customer at my dealer. It's May 20, and now my dealer is being told it's on back order again, and again with no estimated shipping date.  
Maybe I'm just impatient since I'm very hesitant to ride my new motorcycle during the best months we have for riding in Texas, but I feel that this is taking longer than it should. I'm on here at the request of my dealer to see what others are being told and to see if others are experiencing longer than expected wait times on this.

-Guy

Here in south central Texas dealer just called saying parts are in................took awhile, appears Texas must be last in getting parts.
Seems to be the case, at least for me also. I'm in North Texas and was told about a month ago that the part was on back order, with no estimated shipping date. Last week the part came in for another customer at my dealer. It's May 20, and now my dealer is being told it's on back order again, and again with no estimated shipping date.  
Maybe I'm just impatient since I'm very hesitant to ride my new motorcycle during the best months we have for riding in Texas, but I feel that this is taking longer than it should. I'm on here at the request of my dealer to see what others are being told and to see if others are experiencing longer than expected wait times on this.

-Guy

I was under the impression Yamaha listed the part as back-order to prevent dealers from over-ordering but they had enough to cover all the bikes that were recalled.  Some have had success having their dealer do a warranty claim for the part which gets the part released right away, even though it is listed as backorder.  Mine was done about a month ago so I don't know if this information still holds true.   
As a side note, I think it's funny the dealer is asking you to find out where his parts are.  I love the FJ-09, but I have not yet found a Yamaha dealer that has decent service.  Dealer network and accessory availability seem to be Yamaha's weak point.  Three months and still waiting for heated grips is getting a little ridiculous.  Now I'm waiting on a rear rack too.  That's slated to come in early July at this point.  I don't have hope they will make that date given my grips were slated to come in mid April and have been pushed out to at least mid June.  Hopefully the bike will be good enough I won't have to deal with the dealers too often once I get my accessories.

I had my recall done last week but I really didn't notice a big difference in the way it shifts. I was notified about 3 weeks after I recieved my recall notice from Yamaha that the dealer had the parts in and was ready to do my bike. As far as accessories are concerned I got my rear rack off Ebay no problem there just had to pay regular price for it and my comfort seat I ordered from Yamaha of Cucamonga they seem to have decent prices and it took a week to get it.

I had my recall done last week but I really didn't notice a big difference in the way it shifts. I was notified about 3 weeks after I recieved my recall notice from Yamaha that the dealer had the parts in and was ready to do my bike. As far as accessories are concerned I got my rear rack off Ebay no problem there just had to pay regular price for it and my comfort seat I ordered from Yamaha of Cucamonga they seem to have decent prices and it took a week to get it.
Yamaha of Cucamonga is who I ordered the rear rack from.  They are about $50 cheaper than eBay on it right now but it is back-ordered to July 1st right now according to them.  I am tempted to cancel that order and just pay the premium for the 1 available on eBay.  The biggest problem with that is I'm cheap.  How does the comfort seat compare to stock?  Have you had a chance to do longer distance on both to compare the comfort?

-Guy

What root said.  Some one from your dealer will have to actually pick up the phone and call Yamaha to have your recall kit released for shipment.  

My shifing isn't any different.  Not better, not worse, but the engine did develop a terrible squeaking sound that I am going to take back and have examined.
Aarrgh. Gotta be frustrating. It's a fairly straightforward repair...
The squeaking sound, really a pulsating squeal:  Went away around 7000 miles just as I took it in to find out what was up.  Here is what happened.  I had the shifter shaft replaced and went home and change the oil, went on a 2400 mile ride where I experienced the noise.  By the time I got it back to the dealer, the noise had faded away.  I scheduled an oil change at 8K so we could inspect the oil for shavings etc. as I wanted a history incase there was a major problem later.  The oil was clean, so we installed new oil, which I supplied, and immediately I noticed the noise again.  It lasted a very short time.  The mechanic started up a 2015 FZ-09 that was in for service that had the same noise, not quite as bad but the same pulsating squeal.  The mechanic explained that it was natural with this crossplane engine design.  I took that as good news and will not worry about it again.  Similar to listening to a Ducati, but instead of a dry clutch, just (crossplane) plain engine noise.  Listen to this R1: 

Wouldn't you be worried too?  I'm at 10,500miles now and the engine is still working good.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Root what happened to you on your rear rack is the same thing that happened to me. I ordered it through Yamaha of Coucamonga because it was cheaper but after the order was placed I recieved an e-mail about the back order till July. I didn't want to wait that long so I cancelled the order and got one off E-bay. As far as the seat goes its better looking for sure but I haven't been able to take the bike out for a long run lately but as soon as I do will let you know what I think of it.

So how tight should the bolt be on the shift shaft?  I noticed mine was not even finger tight after the recall fix, so I snugged it up a bit but would like to know what others have noticed on your bike.  It is still loose enough to slide a little on the splined shaft, but I'm sure the mechanic did not tighten it to spec.  It certainly is not the only bolt that was not tightened down properly on mine...

Thanks in advance.

Hey everyone.

I had my recall done last Sunday and I'm noticing some mildly concerning things.  One, I know the shifting is different.  I don't think that's a direct result of the part replacement, but of the dealer disturbing the clutch gable and shifter etc.  More concerning though, is some additional noise coming from the transmission.  See video.  Normal?  I am mechanically inclined, however, not so with motorcycles.  I've been told motorcycle clutches and flywheels are designed differently, so this is where I could use some help.

Lastly, with the center stand up, the bike in first gear and with the clutch in, the rear tire rotates a fare bit.  Fast enough to where I can't even begin to count how fast it's rotating.  It's as if the clutch is still slightly engaged.  Again, I was told this is normal, but it seems to be more than I recall.  Normal?

Overall, I think they seriously tweaked some items and it's taking me some time to adjust, but I have no idea of how "bad" thing's we're disturbed as I'm a new rider of only 9 months, and only 2 months on this bike.  Thoughts?

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgmRRkS776Y&feature=youtu.be]

Archived