Intent to recall FJ09 March 25, 2015

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting. I was actually going to call Corporate today but prior, I wanted to ask everyone a question.

SixCharlie and everyone, how did you know for me to check my clutch arm? The noise in the video or just a guess on what I was describing? Trying to determine if that noise is normal. Thanks!

Interesting. I was actually going to call Corporate today but prior, I wanted to ask everyone a question. 
SixCharlie and everyone, how did you know for me to check my clutch arm? The noise in the video or just a guess on what I was describing? Trying to determine if that noise is normal. Thanks!
My FJ sounds the same as yours, clutch in and out. Noisier with clutch out. Every bike I have owned seems to be noisier with the clutch out. I'm sure someone can point out why. Some part in the clutch aparatus starts whirling when out contributing to the increased noise.

The clutch plates are pretty durable, so I wouldn't worry about it. I just knew to check the alignment on the shift arm because I recently went through that myself. The instructions with the recall kit say to remove the cable from the cover by removing the shift arm there, they even provide a new snap ring in the kit.

The cover shouldn't have to come off again, but the arm needs to be correctly installed. There really is only one way to get the cover lined back up and on, if it is wrong, it won't engage the clutch at all, but since yours does, there shouldn't be any need to remove the cover again. That alignment is the static basis of how the install and adjust the clutch cable. If it is off then you are just chasing your tail trying to fix it by adjusting the top and bottom nuts.

jlomb, see this for a quick lesson in how a cassette style, wet clutch works.  

The push rod acting on the pressure plate is the noise that you hear and also how the clutch disengages.

If I were you I would do this:
1.  Have the dealer correct the alignment at no cost to you.
2.  Have them make a record of the misalignment as evidence if you have a premature issue with the clutch plates at a later date.

jlomb, see this for a quick lesson in how a cassette style, wet clutch works.   

The push rod acting on the pressure plate is the noise that you hear and also how the clutch disengages.

If I were you I would do this:
1.  Have the dealer correct the alignment at no cost to you.
2.  Have them make a record of the misalignment as evidence if you have a premature issue with the clutch plates at a later date.
SixCharlie, 
Again, thank you for your help.  I shall take up your suggestion on 1 and 2.  That would give me some peace of mind.

You're very welcome. I spent a lot of year in the industry before I retired.

Again, as a tip, be cool. You are not out of bounds or making an unreasonable request. Give the people you are dealing with reasons to relate to you and you should get good service. Start this way "So I thought I felt something funny in the clutch and I read my owners manual and these alignment marks are off, I think it may be related, would you guys fix it for me? I have to travel so I have to make an appointment."... And go from there.

Ask for the documentation for possible wear on the clutch plates as they are considered a wear item and are not normally covered under the factory or extended warranties.

Oh right, I forgot that you can simply remove the arm and rotate it to align. duh. (It's faster to not mess with it, actually)

Re clutch plate wear if mis-aligned: as long as there was still free play at the lever end, you haven't accelerated the wear of anything. Should be all good.

-S

Don't u hate it when u bring bike in for service nice and clean and then 2 days later I go pick it up and it's all dirty and looks like was riding in the mud.. Ya so... It rained when they did test ride.... Wash it ...Wtf...

So i did a quick video of my rear wheel spinning in first with the clutch level full pulled in. Is this normal for the rear to spin? My dad has the exact same bike and it's not nearly this fast. Normal or something is wrong?
[video src=https://youtu.be/IDqjB2EDWYQ]

Guest rszk
"So i did a quick video of my rear wheel spinning in first with the clutch level full pulled in. Is this normal for the rear to spin? My dad has the exact same bike and it's not nearly this fast. Normal or something is wrong?"

I just tried mine out and it is identical to yours. I had the recall done as well awhile ago.You can try this, with the clutch engaged and the rear wheel spinning in 1st gear, drag your foot on the rear tire until it stops, then push with your foot to get it going again. Wet clutch remember still will spin somewhat, but your foot can stop it.

"So i did a quick video of my rear wheel spinning in first with the clutch level full pulled in. Is this normal for the rear to spin? My dad has the exact same bike and it's not nearly this fast. Normal or something is wrong?" 

I just tried mine out and it is identical to yours. I had the recall done as well awhile ago.You can try this, with the clutch engaged and the rear wheel spinning in 1st gear, drag your foot on the rear tire until it stops, then push with your foot to get it going again. Wet clutch remember still will spin somewhat, but your foot can stop it.
Cool rszk, good to know.  Seems to be really fast though but this is only my second bike, so it's all Greek to me. 

So i did a quick video of my rear wheel spinning in first with the clutch level full pulled in. Is this normal for the rear to spin? My dad has the exact same bike and it's not nearly this fast. Normal or something is wrong? [video src=https://youtu.be/IDqjB2EDWYQ]   I have been riding all my life and I would say that's within the normal range. I wouldn't worry about it.

Archived