Intent to recall FJ09 March 25, 2015

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jlomb436, it sounds like the cable needs to be adjusted. First, on the right side of the bike, look for where the clutch cable connects to the shift arm. There is a dot on the back of the arm and that dot should line up with the triangle on the clutch cover with the lever out.

Not how many threads are showing at the lower cable adjustment and see how many threads are showing at the adjustment on the bar. You should be able to correct this by the adjustment at the bar.

jlomb436, it sounds like the cable needs to be adjusted. First, on the right side of the bike, look for where the clutch cable connects to the shift arm. There is a dot on the back of the arm and that dot should line up with the triangle on the clutch cover with the lever out. 
Not how many threads are showing at the lower cable adjustment and see how many threads are showing at the adjustment on the bar. You should be able to correct this by the adjustment at the bar.
I did raise it up one notch on day 2 to get my boot under the lever.  However, it almost feels to tall now.  I'll check it out.  Should I attempt to adjust at the actual clutch lever on the bars?  See image. 
n3uaAfc.jpg

Yes, start there. Be careful not to back it all the way out. Bike on centerstand (be careful) and see if you can adjust so the rear wheel doesn't spin as fast with the clutch in. Some is not uncommon. Also pay attention to where the clutch engages so you can make sure it is fully out when the lever is out.

Before you start, check the arm on the right side of the bike and see if the dot and triangle are lined up, it they are not, take it back to the dealer to correct.

That arm comes off during the recall work. Take it back to the dealer to correct. Ride the bike around to make sure the clutch adjustment is to your liking before you leave with it.
Thanks Sixcharlie.  I'm assuming they should be lined up without being touched, correct?  I'll have to call Yamaha corporate to see if they will allow for a dealer up here to fix it.  I took it to a dealer 90 minutes away because I heard they had great service.  Dealer left oil all over my bike and actually damaged the plastic fascia that goes around the transmission case. 

Correct, lined up with the clutch lever fully out.

I hate to hear about your experience. Yamaha will send you a survey, make sure to fill it out.

I don't think Yamaha can force a dealer to correct the work of a different dealer and cover the cost. Worth a try though, and remember, you'll get farther faster if the person who takes the call likes you then you would if you start yelling from the get go.

You're quite welcome, I try to help when I can. I also recently spent a good amount of time adjusting my clutch cable when I changed the levers out. The issue was the same as yours.

Correct, lined up with the clutch lever fully out.  
I hate to hear about your experience. Yamaha will send you a survey, make sure to fill it out.

I don't think Yamaha can force a dealer to correct the work of a different dealer and cover the cost. Worth a try though, and remember, you'll get farther faster if the person who takes the call likes you then you would if you start yelling from the get go.

You're quite welcome, I try to help when I can. I also recently spent a good amount of time adjusting my clutch cable when I changed the levers out. The issue was the same as yours.
I'm assuming this could be done easily myself?  In 10 minutes?  I'll give corporate a call but the backup is to do it myself if possible. 

If the dot on the shaft which exits the top of the clutch cover and the arrow on the lever don't line up- when all the free play is removed by gently pulling the clutch lever toward the grip- then sixcharlie is correct, this needs to be adjusted.

In order for that to happen, the RH clutch cover has to come back off, which means the gasket may be compromised. I'd recommend you take it to the closest dealer to get it re-assembled properly.

You could probably get the cable adjusted a bit better by taking up the slack where the cable sits in a bracket attached to the RH clutch cover. Do that first, and then adjust with the barrel adjuster at the lever to get the required 10-15mm of free play (measured at the end of the lever).

Skip

Archived