2nd valve check @ 44,000 miles

betoney

On 9/13/2020 at 1:27 AM, peteinpa said:

There have been various makes and models through the years that called for a valve check at 600 miles. Pissed people off with a $400 bill at 600 miles.

Now here we have FZ07, FZ09, FJ09, etc. that calls for no valve check till ~24k miles. So of course nobody checks till then so we don't know what happened when.

I still run by that system as well, my old 660 tenere had the valves set by me when it had 1000k’s on it and never moved in the 100,000k’s I put on it. Such an awesome bike. 

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Betoney, why don't you do your own maintenance?  You seem like a handy guy.

I do everything myself EXCEPT inside the engine, though I did the slipper clutch upgrade myself since that was simple.  I don't have a large garage space or shop to have everything disassembled and organized efficiently like I would want for internal engine work.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

16 hours ago, betoney said:

I do everything myself EXCEPT inside the engine, though I did the slipper clutch upgrade myself since that was simple.  I don't have a large garage space or shop to have everything disassembled and organized efficiently like I would want for internal engine work.

For what it's worth, I bought a used cookie pan from Goodwill, the kind with edges all the way around. It keeps everything contained & organized. Doesn't take up as much space to do engine work as you might think. Especially valves since typically you only pull 1 cam at a time.

• Thanks 1

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
On 9/13/2020 at 2:06 PM, betoney said:

That's too bad I don't want to make you feel bad but I have two shops, a machine fab shop in the basement and the Bret Cave with all the Comforts of home including heat air conditioning carpeting fridge  Wi-Fi  20 foot workbench  lighting so that I need sunglasses excetera

I'd go crazy without them

In the cave, I can also take the triple off the lift so it can commiserate with the single and the twin, and sleep on it if I want

which she-who-must-be-obeyed is threatened to have me do many times

• Haha 2