Oil consumption on GT

bugie

All of my Yamahas with level sensors have liked to be filled till there's just a bit uncovered in the sight glass. There's never been enough of a difference on center/ground for me to have an under or over filling problem so I use the center. Keeps it simple. 

Do all my own maintenance and none of my post-2000 Yamahas have ever consumed oil but when I ride behind very high mileage examples that do it's pretty easy to detect where some of it is going via the proboscis.

• Thumbsup 1

Mine is a 2019 Tracer   NON  GT  and yes, it came with a centerstand, which I removed...and YES it definitely changes the oil level reading if you check it on the centerstand...check it ON THE GROUND...

and the REASON you do not want to get TOO much oil in any engine is that the crank beats the too high oil and turns it to foam, which doesn't make the proper PRESSURE to hydraulic the crank and rod bearings ( or any others ) AWAY from the surfaces...and the oil pump is designed to pump OIL, not foam.....

oil level is VERY important, and the smaller the engine, the more important it IS.

• Thumbsup 1

BugsinTeeth........

"Peace is that time when everyone stands around reloading" . . . . Thomas Jefferson

4 hours ago, chitown said:

But it's trivial to get it right without the weird obsessing in oil threads like this one and other Yamaha model boards. 

You'd think it would be trivial but I'm now in a situation where on the centre stand the oil goes above the sight glass, and, when on the side stand held upright the oil is smack bang on max.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bugie said:

You'd think it would be trivial but I'm now in a situation where on the centre stand the oil goes above the sight glass, and, when on the side stand held upright the oil is smack bang on max.

and that's  EXACTLY  where it should be  :D

• Like 1

BugsinTeeth........

"Peace is that time when everyone stands around reloading" . . . . Thomas Jefferson

• Supporting Member
52 minutes ago, bugie said:

@bugie and @BugsInTeeth - I'm curious, how are you guys both holding it perfectly upright AND checking the oil level on the sight glass at the same time?  I use the center stand, as I have for the past 10 years, I just don't know how you can see the sight glass while holding it upright.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
15 minutes ago, bugie said:

@betoney- it's not too hard to hold it up and check the oil but obviously won't be perfectly upright, just like it isn't perfectly level on the centre stand ;)

After the discussion on this topic these past few days, I tried it myself and could not do it safely or accurately, crouching down beside the bike to see the oil level while trying to hold the bike up with my hands above my head was sketchy at best. - Its not necessarily top heavy but it isn't light or stable either. 

Having the bike straight up and down (side to side) would be much more critical for accurate reading than having the rear wheel 2" off the ground.  If you can actually do it that way accurately, more power to you, I cant do it.  👍

Edited by betoney

7 hours ago, betoney said:

After the discussion on this topic these past few days, I tried it myself and could not do it safely or accurately, crouching down beside the bike to see the oil level while trying to hold the bike up with my hands above my head was sketchy at best. - Its not necessarily top heavy but it isn't light or stable either. 

Having the bike straight up and down (side to side) would be much more critical for accurate reading than having the rear wheel 2" off the ground.  If you can actually do it that way accurately, more power to you, I cant do it.  👍

I use my left hand on the right grip, pull it over, up off the sidestand, and with a flashlight in my right hand, bend over and look at the sight glass, rock it back and forth slightly to see the oil move a bit, .... and it's easy-peasy...

you can even do this with your right knee on the floor....

I'm 72, and it's not a problem ...?

• Thumbsup 1

BugsinTeeth........

9 hours ago, betoney said:

To be honest I can't see why Yamaha decided to make the new instructions indicate it shouldn't be done on the centre stand. It is obviously much safer and easier on the centre stand (and I think everyones preference given the option).

Now I am in a little bit of doubt is to which is the correct reading. The one on the ground which shows oil at max, or one on the centre stand which is showing it slightly above the sight glass.

• Thumbsup 1

Ive had quite a few bikes where the oil is supposed to be checked with the bike being held upright and never really had a problem. I do agree though that its adding an element of risk that could be avoided. Least it has a sight glass. My Triumph Speed triple had a black dipstick that had to be checked upright too. 

• Thumbsup 2

You get to know your own bike, I have always used a centre stand when checking oil levels and will continue to do so. Whatever works for you just go for it. As long as you can see a wee bit of space at the top of the sight glass you know its not too full.  I did go out and buy a paddock stand years ago when I had a KLE 500 (didn't come with a centre stand) and almost had it fall over on me, Don't want to do that again. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, BugsInTeeth said:

I use my left hand on the right grip, pull it over, up off the sidestand, and with a flashlight in my right hand, bend over and look at the sight glass, rock it back and forth slightly to see the oil move a bit, .... and it's easy-peasy...

you can even do this with your right knee on the floor....

I'm 72, and it's not a problem ...?

You've got almost 20 years on me, more power to you. 👍