Tires for the Trail on Tacer 900GT

RichNDC

So, I am gonna do the MABDR this summer on my Tracer 900GT.  I know this is not an ADV bike!  I am looking for tires in the 80/20 usage and not finding much. We are not doing the more difficult parts, no log jumping, no serious climbs. Just away from the roads. I already ride fire roads and gravel with OEM tires, even a little mud. What suggestions would you all have? I dont ride fast (too often) on the street, and I like to think I hug the corners, but I still have a 4mm band of chicken strips.  Doing this BDR instead of the track day (that was last year!) 

• Thumbsup 2

I have a Ninja 650 that I've adventureized. I put a set of Shinko 804/805 tires on. So far, I like them, but the rear does feel like it has a bit more side to side movement on the loose stuff. They still feel really good on pavement, even in the wet.

I'm thinking of trying the Bridgestone AX41 or the Dunlop Trailmax Mission next.

• Thumbsup 1

I am considering some Shinko 705. from the reviews I have seen they last a long time and they do good on the road and wet pavement. They do good offroad, not as good as the shinko 804/805 in the loose stuff. the price is great on the Shinkos! I also like the looks of the Pirelli MT-60 rs. and the Pirelli scorpion rally str 

• Thumbsup 2

I would also look at the Pirellis, myself I'm leaning towards the str as the are reasonable for price, come in stock sizing and just found out they are the OEM on the t700 up here when it comes out.  

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

Would like to hear anyone else's comments on this as well.  I have been thinking of doing some adventuring as well.  Alaska one day?

Some tires I have heard good reviews about are:

Continental TKC80s and Mezzlers?

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

I am In need of new tires. I live about 3 miles out on rough washboard, with soft sand and gravel patched roads. If I had to break down my riding into percentages I would say, 10% dirt, 50% canyon carving & 40% Freeway/ Urban. Does anyone have any advice on tires. I am looking into the above mentions. I need a tire that grips in dirt and can hold a corner yet still be confortable for long distance riding. Sort of an All-terrain tire.

• Supporting Member
17 minutes ago, racreative said:

I am In need of new tires. I live about 3 miles out on rough washboard, with soft sand and gravel patched roads. If I had to break down my riding into percentages I would say, 10% dirt, 50% canyon carving & 40% Freeway/ Urban. Does anyone have any advice on tires. I am looking into the above mentions. I need a tire that grips in dirt and can hold a corner yet still be confortable for long distance riding. Sort of an All-terrain tire.

'Most' sport-touring tires will handle mixed riding, commuting, touring and canyon carving with ease, they will handle relatively smooth forest roads at moderate speeds but definitely not ideally. 

I was trying to find a shortcut between 2 highways in Idaho last year and took a wrong turn and ended up on about 25 miles of gravel roads, moderate speeds and a foot down in sharper corners was fine for the one time through but if I was riding that far on a relatively regular basis, I would want different tires but I'm not sure I would want/need dirt tires just for a 3-mile section.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, betoney said:

'Most' sport-touring tires will handle mixed riding, commuting, touring and canyon carving with ease, they will handle relatively smooth forest roads at moderate speeds but definitely not ideally. 

I was trying to find a shortcut between 2 highways in Idaho last year and took a wrong turn and ended up on about 25 miles of gravel roads, moderate speeds and a foot down in sharper corners was fine for the one time through but if I was riding that far on a relatively regular basis, I would want different tires but I'm not sure I would want/need dirt tires just for a 3-mile section.

Thank you. It is a small section probably not a huge need to go with an 80/20. I guess I like the look of the more aggressive tires, even though it would likely be over-kill. Either way thank you for the reply @betony

• Supporting Member

@racreativeI put the Shinko 705's on my KLR650 (not a lot of HP)and have been more than happy with them on the dirt and gravel roads I ride on. A friend put them on his KTM 1090(a lot more HP) and while he liked them, he vaporized them in less than 3000mi. As always there is no free lunch.

• Thumbsup 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

It's a fun ride with lots of history to dabble in along the way if you have the time. For reference, I completed the MABDR and the older MAT (2900+miles) on my WRX/R 250 and having 50/50 DOT knobbies on was nice. What ever I happened upon the bike was well equipped and could still rip the pavement turns using all the tire. As you probably know, the MABDR is mostly easy gravel and pavement. 

For tire recommendations, I recently had a set of Avon Trailriders (90/10) on the bike and liked them a lot and would recommend them for MABDR when dry, but when it gets wet/greasy/muddy, your paved road bypass options will keep the body work in good stead. Avon does make a similar, but more aggressive (50/50) Trekrider tire that would offer more assurance and less rerouting for poorer road conditions. 

I'll just put this here too, as there's a lot of interest in alternate tire choices, I do have a set of brand new factory Yamaha wheels with TKC80's ready to bolt on if anyone is interested. I was going to use them for an AK trip last year which never manifested. A second set of wheels is a nice set up which makes it easy to keep the good road tires and wheels in top spec for high speed fun. PM if interested. 

IMG_7113.thumb.jpg.a31d952961ed2ceda8b5c1d88e4722b0.jpg

Edited by AdvRich
  • Thumbsup 1

I have been researching some tire options myself but it seems like most of the adventure tires are not offered in the sizes that fit the Tracer?  The Mitas-07 and the Shinko 805 seem like good options but not sure they are offered in Tracer sizes?

ty

I had Shinko 705's on my Suzuki DRZ400SM, which felt "ok" on dirt/gravel roads and are great on pavement. I'm not sure I would put them on my Tracer.

• Thumbsup 1