Later rear carrier fitted to 2016 model

v1nn1e

Assumed the later single piece cast alloy carrier would fit my 2016 model - ummm, no!

Appears the 2015/16 models used a different composite carrier that to my eyes looks a lot less attractive. I have been spoiled by the similar carrier on my previous F800ST BMW.

The only incompatibility that I've found appears to be the side-lip of the plastic tray under the pillion seat, just forward of the front mounting lugs. The carrier fouls this slightly. I'm thinking of slicing off the offending plastic so that it will fit - but wanted to check if anyone else has done the same? Or is there a modified under tray that can be fitted instead? Or perhaps there is more to it than slicing through plastic and I'm about to open up a can of worms!!???

Thanks

• Supporting Member
29 minutes ago, v1nn1e said:

Assumed the later single piece cast alloy carrier would fit my 2016 model - ummm, no!

Appears the 2015/16 models used a different composite carrier that to my eyes looks a lot less attractive. I have been spoiled by the similar carrier on my previous F800ST BMW.

The only incompatibility that I've found appears to be the side-lip of the plastic tray under the pillion seat, just forward of the front mounting lugs. The carrier fouls this slightly. I'm thinking of slicing off the offending plastic so that it will fit - but wanted to check if anyone else has done the same? Or is there a modified under tray that can be fitted instead? Or perhaps there is more to it than slicing through plastic and I'm about to open up a can of worms!!???

Thanks

There was recently a post where someone did exactly what you are asking, they had to trim some plastic if I remember correctly.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I’m pretty sure I read someone modifying this last week @v1nn1e, successfully. I’ll see if I can find the thread.

Any use?

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

1 hour ago, Dodgy Knees said:

I'm thinking about a rack for my 18 tracer. Which is best.?

Panniers are the way to go (side cases).

Top boxes are fugly and unbalanced. I have a Givi V47 and only use it under duress, so the rack stays mostly empty. Tail packs look better, tank bags are great and side cases meet the need if you’re carrying extra luggage. I only use my top box for city journeys when I want to filter through traffic, carry a massive padlock and chain and then leave my helmet and jacket in there.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Agreed.

I'm in the situation that my wife never goes on the back, so tours are a one man band. I have a couple of Oxford rollbags in different sizes to suit the trip, and with a rear carrier they sit nicely behind me over the pillion seat and rack.

Many thanks to Betoney and BBB - will be going ahead later today! :)

• 1 year later...
On 3/25/2020 at 5:14 PM, v1nn1e said:

Agreed.

I'm in the situation that my wife never goes on the back, so tours are a one man band. I have a couple of Oxford rollbags in different sizes to suit the trip, and with a rear carrier they sit nicely behind me over the pillion seat and rack.

Many thanks to Betoney and BBB - will be going ahead later today! :)

v1nn1e, I know this is an old thread, but I'm in the same situation. I really like the form of the later style rack. Can you let me know if you went ahead and installed the later one piece rack? Was it just a matter of cutting some of the plastic trim? Cheers.