Correct way to tie down a FJ09?

kcwell27

I have hauled my fair share of bikes, including cruisers, sport, and dirt bikes. I can usually come up with a safe way to tie them down, but the FJ09 has me wondering........
Any other bike with hand grips with out guards I would use a set of canyon dancers usually on sport bikes. Or use a loop to go around he bars on a cruiser.
But the FJ09 has guards so I can't use the canyon dancers, and from the pic I don't see a great way to tie them down.
I'm picking up the bike in the morning. I would just ride it home but it's going to be bad weather.
Please help me get some ideas. Just remove the hand guards? Will the canyon dancers hurt my heated grips?
Thanks for the help in advance!

• Premium Member
I have hauled my fair share of bikes, including cruisers, sport, and dirt bikes. I can usually come up with a safe way to tie them down, but the FJ09 has me wondering........ Any other bike with hand grips with out guards I would use a set of canyon dancers usually on sport bikes. Or use a loop to go around he bars on a cruiser.
But the FJ09 has guards so I can't use the canyon dancers, and from the pic I don't see a great way to tie them down.
I'm picking up the bike in the morning. I would just ride it home but it's going to be bad weather.
Please help me get some ideas. Just remove the hand guards? Will the canyon dancers hurt my heated grips?
Using soft ties, tie it down from underneath over the upper triple clamp and/or the lower triple clamp if you want to be doubly sure. That is how I got my bike home 35 miles. Then tie down the rear end. I think I used the pegs. No real load on the pegs, just basically for stabilization side to side.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
I had to look up canyon dancer as I have not heard that term in British English - so here's a vimeo link for others

Living on a small island, we tend to use ferries a lot. Even for a potential rough crossing like the Bay of Biscay to Spain, deckhands will use just two ratchet straps and a wheel chock. Park the bike in gear, use the sidestand. Deckhands get stroppy if you try to use the main stand. One ratchet strap over the seat using a suitable pad/cushion to protect the seat. One ratchet strap from the bars or fork brace. Both straps tightened just enough to put a bit of tension on the suspension. If the front isn't against a bulkhead then chock the front wheel to stop any forward movement that might cause the bike to roll off the stand. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I have hauled my fair share of bikes, including cruisers, sport, and dirt bikes. I can usually come up with a safe way to tie them down, but the FJ09 has me wondering........ Any other bike with hand grips with out guards I would use a set of canyon dancers usually on sport bikes. Or use a loop to go around he bars on a cruiser.
I hauled mine on the trailer home for 5 hrs using soft-ties just inside the hand guards and soft-ties on the rear passenger grips. Did great! 
fj09-ng-led001.jpg
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

I may be a little over cautious - I use five.  Front wheel ratchet strap to wheel holder. Two soft loops around the bars (slipped under the wiring) to ratchet straps to deck eyes and then two soft loops and ratchet straps on either side of the swingarm to deck eyes.    
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

• Premium Member
I may be a little over cautious - I use five.  Front wheel ratchet strap to wheel holder. Two soft loops around the bars (slipped under the wiring) to ratchet straps to deck eyes and then two soft loops and ratchet straps on either side of the swingarm to deck eyes.    
you wouldn't last long on a French ferry deck crew :)
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 1 year later...
I just purchased  a FJ 09. Take off the guards. I have the 2nd gen of Canyon Dancers with the fiberglass ends. Worked great.
I do not like the guards and took them off and left them off. The bike looks so much more sporty ( my other bike is a Honda 600 CBR rr). I just installed a shorter Puig Dark Smoke winds screen.

2016_09_29_20_34_27.jpg

Tied_down.jpg

This is how I trailered mine the 70 miles home when I bought it.
This is the way I tie mine down as well. I also put a strap across the back on the rear passenger pegs to keep the back tire from hopping around.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Archived