Front sprocket nut size

On 4/2/2020 at 12:07 PM, texscottyd said:

100% concur.   I was shocked to find that the nut was barely finger tight on mine, and had moved about 20 degrees from the factory staked location.  I didn’t even need a wrench, and just spun the nut off by hand...  yikes!  

This was a common occurrence with the old FZR line, when someone would forget / neglect to bend the lock washer to hold the sprocket nut in position. It occasionally happened that the nut would go missing altogether, with the sprocket basiclally being held on by the chain!

• Thumbsup 2
TTR Ignition Systems - Teaching Old Bikes New Tricks
Shift Sensors - Quick Shift Controllers
Plug 'n' Play Quick Shifter Kits for FJ-09 US$150 + $15 shipping - In Stock
North American Distributor for Shifting ContRoll     Email

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, TTR Ignition said:

This was a common occurrence with the old FZR line, when someone would forget / neglect to bend the lock washer to hold the sprocket nut in position. It occasionally happened that the nut would go missing altogether, with the sprocket basiclally being held on by the chain!

That makes sense.  I’m just a bit surprised that the ‘someone’ in question here is the Yamaha factory...  I bought the bike new, and had never even looked at the countershaft sprocket previously.   I would have assumed it was correctly torqued & staked at the time of manufacture.

No harm, no foul.   

• 1 year later...
  • Premium Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but figured I'd toss this in here from my search of my issue.  I'm trying to get my front sprocket off and I've resorted to spraying PB Blaster on it because it won't budge (allowing time for the PB to work its magic while I post this).  The thread is a typical lefty loosey, right?  Mine is the opposite of some I've read here about being not on too well.  It feels like mine was put on with gorilla strength.  I have in 1st gear and on the sidestand and it isn't budging yet.

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, cwjb said:

Definitely lefty loosey. Try some kind of impact. 

I got it off and changed out, along with the rear sprocket, chain, and rear tire. I just needed to let PB Blaster have time to do its work. 

• Thumbsup 3

On 9/8/2021 at 10:14 AM, 3sum said:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but figured I'd toss this in here from my search of my issue.  I'm trying to get my front sprocket off and I've resorted to spraying PB Blaster on it because it won't budge (allowing time for the PB to work its magic while I post this).  The thread is a typical lefty loosey, right?  Mine is the opposite of some I've read here about being not on too well.  It feels like mine was put on with gorilla strength.  I have in 1st gear and on the sidestand and it isn't budging yet.

The nut is staked in 2 places to the driveshaft. Make sure you knock those away from the shaft before loosening. the nut should also be replaced, but you can usually get away with at least 1 R&R.

heat works better at loosening loctite than pb blaster. 

have a helper hold the rear brake instead of relying on being in gear.

hope these tips help next time. 

-Skip

Edited by skipperT
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Thanks. I started to put some heat on it but gave it another shot and that’s when it released. I’ll definitely be changing the nut on the next change.