Coolant Loss

• Premium Member

I changed my coolant as specified at approximately 16000 miles and I've now achieved about 36 or so thousand miles  So I checked the recovery bottle, which I check relatively frequently and last added some water wetter just for Yuks almost exactly a year ago. When I just checked again, the recovery bottle was down approximately 4 to 6 oz of coolant. I immediately checked to be sure I hadn't blown a head gasket by examining the oil to see if it look like coffee and cream, it did not. I then added approximately 4 oz of coolant along with about 1 oz of water wetter, topping it off to the upper line of the recovery bottle.

Has anyone else noticed a similar drop in coolant? Obviously it hasn't been warm here yet and I have examined all the hoses and not observed any signs of coolant leakage.

• Premium Member

Stone cold sober so to speak

Other than cages when it comes to two wheeled conveyances with internal combustion engines I started somewhat late because what they offered the public until the late 80s generally speaking was air-cooled now there were exceptions of course

It's just strange I wouldn't have thought this engine would a done this I'll inspect for leaks again but my oil isn't due yet and when I had everything off to check the valves not too long ago I didn't notice anything

• Supporting Member

I would check all your hose clamps and pressure test your radiator and cap, make sure you don't have a pin hole some where. Check the weep hole on the water pump also. If all that checks out, I would not be surprised if the coolant recovery bottle or one of it's lines are leaking, I'v seen that more than once. 

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Premium Member

Great advice thanks.  I don't have a rad cap or rad tester, don't know if any of the auto parts stores loan them or if they did, if they'd fit a bike.  I know some water pumps leak a bit but I'm fastidious about cleaning and have not noticed a drop there. I may have lost a tiny bit of coolant tipping out the rad and disconnected the overflow hose to the bottle when checking the valves not too long ago but not 5 ounces.

When mine lost coolant it was a tiny hole in the hard pipes on the oil cooler. Thankfully for you it is very rare to fail there, but worth a check.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

5 hours ago, BBB said:

When mine lost coolant it was a tiny hole in the hard pipes on the oil cooler. Thankfully for you it is very rare to fail there, but worth a check.

I was just reading about corrosion on the oil cooler causing them to fail and thought of this thread.  Hopefully it's not that.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member

Had a coolant leak in a car many years ago. There are colored additives that make it relatively easy to find a leak with even with a bright flashlight. Easier with a blacklight. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

All 3 latter suggestions also appreciated.  I do have a radiator test kit for checking for a blown head gasket.  I'll redouble my visual inspections this time with a hot engine, look for the dye, and monitor coolant level.  It's supposed to finally warm up mid-late next week if this 4 day monsoon ever ends. So we'll have higher temps to help accelerate the investigative process.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Well I've done two or three rides and Ivan expected for leaks anywhere and haven't found any and the coolant level is still at the upper level hasn't changed so can't say what it was but I'll keep it in mind

• Thumbsup 1

You likely had air trapped in the system that quickly worked its way out. Standard practice for a lot of old riders was to leave the rad cap off while starting the bike after the coolant change, topping up as the air bubbles burped and belched out the filler neck.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1
TTR Ignition Systems - Teaching Old Bikes New Tricks
Shift Sensors - Quick Shift Controllers
Plug 'n' Play Quick Shifter Kits for FJ-09 US$150 + $15 shipping - In Stock
North American Distributor for Shifting ContRoll     Email

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, TTR Ignition said:

You likely had air trapped in the system that quickly worked its way out. Standard practice for a lot of old riders was to leave the rad cap off while starting the bike after the coolant change, topping up as the air bubbles burped and belched out the filler neck.

I suppose I fall into that demographic...😲  When doing the above procedure I always have the bike leaned over on the side stand so the filler neck is the highest point in the system, the air bubbles come right out.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

I'm old and use to do all the old fashioned proper procedures too until several years ago I bought the greatest thing since sliced bread.

550000-2.jpg

Eliminate airlocks in vehicle cooling systems and refills in seconds. OEM...

This device makes draining, testing and filling cooling systems fast, painless, clean and precise like no other method.  I also bought their blown head gasket test kit.

So when I changed, including flushing the system, the coolant when specified last, and will again soon, no air was / will be left in the system.  Now, as I stated before, maybe I lost some coolant when I disconnected the overflow hose to the recovery bottle when I tipped forward the radiation in order to remove the valve cover and check valve lash.

Whatever, I'll keep an eye on things (as I always try to do).

Thanks again all.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, TTR Ignition said:

How did I get through 34 years of vehicle ownership and not know this trick?