Hello from GTA, Canada

Simon

Hi

New member here. Signed up to learn a little more about the Tracer 900. It is a bike I am dreaming about.

Currently riding a 2008 Yamaha FZ6. Good bike so far. 

I will post some questions in the other sections. 

• Thumbsup 5

• Supporting Member
43 minutes ago, Simon said:

Hi

New member here. Signed up to learn a little more about the Tracer 900. It is a bike I am dreaming about.

Currently riding a 2008 Yamaha FZ6. Good bike so far. 

I will post some questions in the other sections. 

Welcome, feel free to ask away.  BTW you are going to LOVE the bike!

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 hours ago, betoney said:

Welcome, feel free to ask away.  BTW you are going to LOVE the bike!

Haha. I'm sure I will. 

While I was on a bike riding hiatus (12 years), you know family and such I was dreaming of a VStrom. (I'm not sure if that word is frowned upon here, I need to read the rules, lol) 
But my Firs bike was an R6 and current is FZ6. I think I like to stick with the Yamaha for my future bikes. 

Anyways, Questions posted in the GT Forum. 

• Thumbsup 1

Welcome aboard.. I went from a SuperTenere to a Vstrom 650 as I wanted less weight, but good touring capability. I had it for 900 km and sold it. It was a very good bike but I really wanted more power. The Tracer 900GT fit the bill perfectly, less weight and more power, good wind protection, good range, cruise control, heated grips, adjustable screen and Yamaha reliable with a long long valve inspection interval (42,000 km)

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

@mingo similarly, I went from a V-Strom DL1000 to an FJ.  What a difference.  The only thing I miss about the V-Strom is the 3" foot peg lowering kit.  Very comfortable, ergonomically speaking.

What I hadn't counted on (lack of experience) was the difference in handling...the DL1000 has a 19" front tire, FJ = 17" and a WORLD of difference.

@Simon Pretty sure you're going to really enjoy the FJ.

Edited by knyte

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

I had a vstrom 650 , full kitted out with every addon imaginable, for nearly 10 years. I loved that bike. Used it for everything, touring, moto-gymkhana, camping, offroading , the lot. Thought it was a great all round bike, but not really very good at anything.

Switching to the tracer, without even having ridden one, I was wondering if I'd done the right thing, but I , you know, wanted a change.

The tracer is far far better than the vstrom, in every area, in my opinion. For me it is taking a wee bit of getting used to the fatter rear tyre, and the insane acceleration, which has me giggling every time I give it some. The suspension is better, the handling, lights , brakes. it is definitely as comfortable, better fuel economy, and , well, I just love it. I've owned some great bikes in my time, the tracer is exceptionally good. i am smitten!

Now my brother in law has my old vstrom, and I have my tracer, all is right with the world.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

On 6/26/2020 at 2:43 PM, Stew said:

I had a vstrom 650 , full kitted out with every addon imaginable, for nearly 10 years. I loved that bike. Used it for everything, touring, moto-gymkhana, camping, offroading , the lot. Thought it was a great all round bike, but not really very good at anything.

Switching to the tracer, without even having ridden one, I was wondering if I'd done the right thing, but I , you know, wanted a change.

The tracer is far far better than the vstrom, in every area, in my opinion. For me it is taking a wee bit of getting used to the fatter rear tyre, and the insane acceleration, which has me giggling every time I give it some. The suspension is better, the handling, lights , brakes. it is definitely as comfortable, better fuel economy, and , well, I just love it. I've owned some great bikes in my time, the tracer is exceptionally good. i am smitten!

Now my brother in law has my old vstrom, and I have my tracer, all is right with the world.

Thank you for this post.  I'm currently on a V 650 and am thinking of changing up to the Tracer.  I just don't want to sacrifice the comfort.  I'm too old.  lol.  But this post was what I did and did not want to hear, because I am still on the fence about getting rid of the strom.  

• Thumbsup 3

I completely understand that Bandituki, I am the same, I could't ride a sports bike any more thanks to neck and back issues, and the vstrom suited me perfectly. I could do 500 miles in one go with no discomfort etc. , and everybody called my vstrom my mule, and even my brother in law, who I gave it to, said it would never be anyone's but mine. I literally went everywhere on my vstrom, places nobody believed, riding in sand quarries, riding up a mountain path here, with absolute glares from the hillwalkers. And I feel like I have been unfaithful, mad as it sounds.

I thought, if I change bikes, will I just regret it, as I don't have the funds to change again, and am too old to try and realign my body to fit many bike any more.

But the tracer has brought something I forgot about. Thrill, and enthusiasm. I can't wait to get out on it the next time. It's 50mph winds and lashing rain here right now and I am thinking, I might just go for a wee ride anyway.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bandituki said:

But this post was what I did and did not want to hear, because I am still on the fence about getting rid of the strom.  

<clouds open/deep voice/rays of strong light>

GET RID OF THE STROM, YOU UNBELIEVER, BUY THE TRACER, THOU SHALT NOT REGRET IT!!

<clouds close/echoes of voice rumble off mountains, light fades, listener left with deep sense of renewed purpose>

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)