To flash stock tracer or Not ?

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, Dodgy Knees said:

On the newer tracer, I wouldn't bother. Yes, A mode is more abrupt,  but it's supposed to be.

On the streets, A mode is too jerky , very sensitive,  that's what standard is for, perfect. A mode for track basically.

I don't understand your conflicting argument, - Yes, the A-mode is too jerky but no, don't bother flashing the ECU to fix it?  That's the main selling point of the ECU flash,- remove fuel cut abrupt fueling and add a dyno-built smoother fuel map.

I have mine flashed for smoothness and set to default to A-mode which is now perfect for for everyday riding.  The biggest benefit of A-mode is the quick-turn throttle but it doesn't have to be abrupt, jerky or track use only.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

8 minutes ago, betoney said:

I have mine flashed for smoothness and set to default to A-mode which is now perfect for for everyday riding.  The biggest benefit of A-mode is the quick-turn throttle but it doesn't have to be abrupt, jerky or track use only.

I wish I could do a before and after comparison of a ecu flash.  I am getting use to the abruptness of the throttle, but I still notice it quite a bit.  Like going over bumps on the road cause a noticeable change in the throttle just because my hand moves a bit while going over bumps.  All while in standard mode.  I'm nervous to go into to A mode right now.  Hopefully a ecu flash mellows it out a bit.

Maybe you need to flash your riding style, quite possibly it’s more you than the bike. It’s been put out there so much that you need this or that to ride better when in truth it all comes down to you, not the bike you ride. Seat hurts your ass, change it......throttle not perfect, flash ecu.......bike not responsive enough, suspension will do the trick.......always after that golden ticket that doesn’t exist. 

• Thumbsup 1

29 minutes ago, betoney said:

I don't understand your conflicting argument, - Yes, the A-mode is too jerky but no, don't bother flashing the ECU to fix it?  That's the main selling point of the ECU flash,- remove fuel cut abrupt fueling and add a dyno-built smoother fuel map.

These bikes have 3 modes. I can only think B is for winter, icey condition.  Standard is what I would call road use or normal use. That leaves A for more aggressive riding at higher speeds, maybe track.

If you flash A to default,  everyday, normal road use, then when would you use standard.?

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Toddtr said:

It’s really honestly about trying to make something into what it will never be. If it’s only about driveability then you would start with the seat, suspension, handle bars and pegs. As you can read here on the forums all that cost a lot and as I said before spending 3k or even more for most kinda becomes like polishing a turd. It’s your money and your bike but so spend away but after so much why not choose something better?

I read a lot of different bike forums and when someone asks about replacing or modifying a part, inevitably there is always someone saying they should have bought a different bike to begin with.  So what bike do you recommend?  What bike has the same motor characteristic and agile handling at a similar price point that you don't have to personalize and has the same dealer/service center network?  🤷‍♀️

• Thumbsup 5

23 minutes ago, iitywygms said:

I wish I could do a before and after comparison of a ecu flash.  I am getting use to the abruptness of the throttle, but I still notice it quite a bit.  Like going over bumps on the road cause a noticeable change in the throttle just because my hand moves a bit while going over bumps.  All while in standard mode.  I'm nervous to go into to A mode right now.  Hopefully a ecu flash mellows it out a bit.

If your finding standard too jerky, then maybe a ECU flash is required. 

• Supporting Member
2 minutes ago, Dodgy Knees said:

These bikes have 3 modes. I can only think B is for winter, icey condition.  Standard is what I would call road use or normal use. That leaves A for more aggressive riding at higher speeds, maybe track.

If you flash A to default,  everyday, normal road use, then when would you use standard.?

A-mode and STD are almost the same, A-mode delivers the same power with less turn of the throttle.  Yes, on slippery or frosty roads, I use B-mode. 

• Thumbsup 1

13 minutes ago, Toddtr said:

Maybe you need to flash your riding style, quite possibly it’s more you than the bike. It’s been put out there so much that you need this or that to ride better when in truth it all comes down to you, not the bike you ride. Seat hurts your ass, change it......throttle not perfect, flash ecu.......bike not responsive enough, suspension will do the trick.......always after that golden ticket that doesn’t exist. 

I agree riding style is somewhat involved in all things.  But I do not think I need to change my riding style after 30 years of riding over 6 different motorcycles.  None had nearly as twitchy of a throttle as this bike.  This particular bike has this quirk and I am hoping to remedy it using suggestions found here.  Sounds like a ecu flash may do the trick.  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, betoney said:

I read a lot of different bike forums and when someone asks about replacing or modifying a part, inevitably there is always someone saying they should have bought a different bike to begin with.  So what bike do you recommend?  What bike has the same motor characteristic and agile handling at a similar price point that you don't have to personalize and has the same dealer/service center network?  🤷‍♀️

That’s the point, there is no perfect bike and no matter how much you toss at it none will ever be. Like I said it’s your money, toss it out the window if you desire but don’t believe the mod hype. Think of it as you would the supplement industry, always something that will make you stronger, faster and more agile as long as you are willing to spend the money to make it happen........it won’t 

12 minutes ago, iitywygms said:

I agree riding style is somewhat involved in all things.  But I do not think I need to change my riding style after 30 years of riding over 6 different motorcycles.  None had nearly as twitchy of a throttle as this bike.  This particular bike has this quirk and I am hoping to remedy it using suggestions found here.  Sounds like a ecu flash may do the trick.  

Bikes have changed over those 30 years, maybe you haven’t. That could be the problem, think about it 

1 minute ago, Toddtr said:

Bikes have changed over those 30 years, maybe you haven’t. That could be the problem, think about it 

Exactly.  Which is why I am working on changing the bike to match my style.  Think about that.

1 minute ago, iitywygms said:

Exactly.  Which is why I am working on changing the bike to match my style.  Think about that.

Your old school style can only be matched by going backwards, if that’s what you desire then so be it, it’s your bike. It’s funny how all the older riders have such a hard time with the newer bikes, it’s not the bike it’s you. You are slower, possibly fatter and closer to the grave than you think. It holds you back but then you want to blame the bike. Bikes have gotten better, you have gotten worse.....these are facts 

• Haha 1

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, Toddtr said:

That’s the point, there is no perfect bike and no matter how much you toss at it none will ever be. Like I said it’s your money, toss it out the window if you desire but don’t believe the mod hype. Think of it as you would the supplement industry, always something that will make you stronger, faster and more agile as long as you are willing to spend the money to make it happen........it won’t 

Except it does.  Snatchy throttle? ECU flash cures it.  Terrible suspension valving? a suspension upgrades fixes it.  Uncomfortable seat? a custom seat changes that.  You are 100% wrong in saying throwing money at the bike wont make it perfect for you. 

• Thumbsup 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Toddtr said:

Your old school style can only be matched by going backwards, if that’s what you desire then so be it, it’s your bike. It’s funny how all the older riders have such a hard time with the newer bikes, it’s not the bike it’s you. You are slower, possibly fatter and closer to the grave than you think. It holds you back but then you want to blame the bike. Bikes have gotten better, you have gotten worse.....these are facts 

Looking through your post history I can see that confrontation is something you enjoy.  And using your logic no one should make modifications to a bike to make it better for themselves.  Change windscreen?  Noooo.  Change your riding style.  Put your head closer to the windscreen.  Ass get sore on the seat?  Dont change the seat.  Change your body.  Go ahead and keep on knocking people if it makes you feel good.  I will get the golden ticket because I have gotten it before with a little bit of research and work on my previous bikes.  You might get there someday if you relax a bit and take some advice from us "old school riders" .... Also facts.

1 minute ago, betoney said:

Except it does.  Snatchy throttle? ECU flash cures it.  Terrible suspension valving? a suspension upgrades fixes it.  Uncomfortable seat? a custom seat changes that.  You are 100% wrong in saying throwing money at the bike wont make it perfect for you. 

Then I assume you own the perfect bike and are completely 100% satisfied? I applaud you for accomplishing something that so many never find and never will. It could only mean that you will never sale the bike and no matter what change anything else about it, that’s a unicorn.